Stupid Question...

Discuss your builds of MetroAmp Kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

T.L.

Stupid Question...

Post by T.L. » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:53 pm

Okay, here's my "stupid question". How difficult is it to assemble a 12,000 series Metro amp kit? I do have some electronic knowledge, but nothing like what you guys know. I know what the various components are, and I know how to use a soldering iron. Are there easy-to-follow instructions included with these kits?

I'd also like to know about the master volume kits. When the store was open, I noticed that there were two different ones offered. Which one should I get if I were to order a metro amp kit?...

herbvis
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Stupid Question...

Post by herbvis » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:10 pm

If you know how to solder and can follow instructions well, you should be fine. The instructions are very clear and well put together. i was in the same boat as you when I got my kit and I didnt have too many problems. Just remember to pay very close attention to which way the diodes go :lol: I learned the hard way :oops: :lol:

demonufo
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by demonufo » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:08 pm

There are no specific 12000 series instructions, but following the '69 kit instructions (pretty comprehensive)
http://www.metroamp.com/downloads/100_W ... MP_KIT.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and then tweaking to 12000 series specs shouldn't give you any troubles.

Lar/mar kit for the PPIMV every time.
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

T.L.

Post by T.L. » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:19 pm

Thanks for the replies. 'Sounds very encouraging...

demonufo

Post by demonufo » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:30 pm

And don't forget there are some great guys around here to help too. :wink:

Just don't ask me anything too complicated, I tend to get all confused from time to time! :lol:

LiveWire

Post by LiveWire » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:19 am

Didn't want to start a new thread so thought I'd piggyback on this one :P

Just discovered Metroamp and the forum; I'm speechless. This is what I've been looking for for years. I sincerely hope the restructuring of the company will be succesful so this unique venture can continue creating big smiles on guitarists' faces for a long time :D

Now here's the thing, I'm making an estimate of what a 100W Plexi kit is going to cost me in total, but obviously I can't check it at the store right now. The kit itself was $1100. But I live in Europe and can imagine the shipping costs won't be peanuts. Does anyone know how much they were? Thanks!

Roe

Post by Roe » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:51 am

there is no 12000 series kit. just buy a superlead kit and tweak it to 12000 specs
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

LiveWire

Post by LiveWire » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:35 pm

No one?

demonufo

Post by demonufo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:00 pm

Well, you'll need to state which part of Europe before anybody can help really. There are different costs for each country in the EU, depending on the postal costs implied by the recipient countries local postal services.
Then there's customs taxes (variable from country to country) and other taxes may apply.
EU isn't the "hub of continuity" that is was supposed to be (thankfully). :wink:

LiveWire

Post by LiveWire » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:02 am

Hey, thanks for your reply. I reckoned it would be the same for each country, but now that I think of it, it would prabably be more of a hassle to get a package to arrive in eastern Europe, some countries there are still set back a bit. I added my location to my profile, I see that's common here on the forum. I would guess the shipping costs to the U.K. won't differ much. Can you remember how much you wree charged?

demonufo

Post by demonufo » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:21 pm

I've not ordered a full kit from George, only a large number of parts over the past few years, so couldn't really comment. Local customs taxes applied will still vary a lot from country to country though.

My tip would be to start your own topic post and see if you get a few replies. There certainly are a few posters here from your part of the world. (Small connection myself too, since the company I work for are the main UK/SA/USA distributors for Hyster)

LiveWire

Post by LiveWire » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:59 pm

If I really want to know I could just email George about it, but I can imagine he has more useful things to do. On top of that, I'm gonna order a kit anyway :wink: so I'll just wait until the store opens again. In the meanwhile I can spend my time reading in on everything, and find out what specs I want. Especially considering trannies. I'm not enirely sure about the sound I want to get; something "68/"69-ish, but I'm not looking for the EVH sound particularly. The HW Marshall tweak thread is priceless, hearing what difference can be expected from certain components. I'd love to read (and hear) a comparing trannies thread. Do you have any suggestions?

demonufo

Post by demonufo » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:26 pm

LiveWire wrote: Do you have any suggestions?
My vote is to not bother with the MM's. Don't think George is going to be offering them in the future anyway.

LiveWire

Post by LiveWire » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:40 am

You're in line with most of the comments on MM/Heyboer I've read. That C1998 sounds like a winner from what I hear everyone say. Also read about having different brands for your PT and OT, hadn't thought of that being an option.. But what I meant actually was do you know of a thread with sound clips to hear tranny differences?

demonufo

Post by demonufo » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:51 am

No. I don't pay that much attention to sound clips. They are usually very inconsistent, all recorded different, and don't really tell you a lot in general.
A few people get it right, but I prefer just to experiment.

Other people will have other opinions, and many will have more experience with different transformers than I have for certain.