Are There Tonal Differences Between Replica & Kit?

Discuss your builds of MetroAmp Kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Brandon
Just the numbers in order: 7

Are There Tonal Differences Between Replica & Kit?

Post by Brandon » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:15 pm

Hey guys,

I'm looking into purchasing a 100w 12 series, and I want to know if there is any TONAL difference between the expensive replicas and the kits...

I'm aware that the replicas are made with NOS parts by george, and the kits are not, but I want to know if the tonal difference is significant or not noticeable, and if it is noticeable is it worth it.

Or if there's is already a thread on this topic that someone can point me too?

Thanks 8)

Brandon

neikeel

Re: Are There Tonal Differences Between Replica & Kit?

Post by neikeel » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:22 pm

Good question!

I have only made my amps with the stuff George uses (his kits use same trannies etc AFAIK) plus my own supply of NOS mustards and valves.

They stand up to the originals very well, although there is a certain something that the originals have when played back to back IMO, but then the guitar and cab/speakers and the particular valves you use start to make a difference too.

Recently someone tried my original '68SL vs a Metro I had built and actually preferred the slightly tighter ever so slightly fatter sound of the Metro (I had used Metro Dagnall clones, mustard caps, etc so pretty much the same stuff used in the replicas). Only difference to my original was the 0.039uF mustards in the PI output.

The benefit from a Plexi Replica is that you know that it is working, burned and dialled in, ready to rock and if it does not you have a very good service to help make it so. If you are not experienced in building and fettling one of these it can take some time and, in some cases if you get it wrong, heartache and distress. If you can read instructions (and interpret them correctly) and prepared to read up in advance - ie hang around here for a while, if you are familiar with basic electronics and can solder properly a kit will work for you. It is of course addictive. Thank fully (for addicts that is) George is revamping the store so we have to either go cold turkey or look elsewhere................. :?
Neil