Plexi 100: crackling and hiss, small booms...

Discuss your builds of MetroAmp Kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Twistingcrow

Re: Plexi 100: crackling and hiss, small booms...

Post by Twistingcrow » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:03 pm

VelvetGeorge wrote:How do you know the tubes are good? This has tube written all over it. I'd start there.

When the cap failed many other parts were also stressed. Dont take anything as good until prove it. Culd be hard to troubleshoot, but you'll find it.

Those CE caps tested better than JJ's on my cap tester. First time I've seen one blow up. Sorry for that.

George

Well, I swapped the four JJs that were provided with the kit for 4 Shughang EL34s provided by tube tramp. Plus I swapped one preamp tube after one preamp tube for a stock EH 12AX7...

I'll keep trying but I can't figure this out. Booms have disappeared but I still get too much hiss. When I don't touch the amp it's relatively quiet, but it's hiss nightmare when I turn either the bass or treble pots...

Twistingcrow

Post by Twistingcrow » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:03 am

I found this thread at last!
http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php ... TS#p284258" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So I changed the 500pF black SM treble cap. Problem solved. I took the 500pF volume I cap out as well. I like the sound better.
The amp is repared and back to great sound and low noise! Rock'n'roll time!

Thanks!

toner

Post by toner » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:12 am

Didn't someone suggest checking for DC on the treble pot? Who was that? Oh yeah, me. :whistle: :wink: Just kidding. Glad you found it!

Twistingcrow

Post by Twistingcrow » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:22 am

toner wrote:Didn't someone suggest checking for DC on the treble pot? Who was that? Oh yeah, me. :whistle: :wink: Just kidding. Glad you found it!
Yeah, thanks a lot toner... I listened to you but I tried that with the amp OFF... It was obviously to try with the amp full ON... Oh well, you never stop learning... But thanks a lot toner! :rock:

syscokid
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by syscokid » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:51 pm

toner wrote:Didn't someone suggest checking for DC on the treble pot? Who was that? Oh yeah, me. :whistle: :wink: Just kidding. Glad you found it!
I think, in another thread, novosibir had a preference over one brand of SM's compared to another due to durability issues. I can't remember which brands he was comparing... :shrug:
Maybe someone can add to this response?

:scratch:
"When I'm on stage and first plug in, and I feel a rush of air in my balls... That's when I know my guitar is sounding good!" -Leslie West

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:15 pm

Twistingcrow wrote:I found this thread at last!
http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php ... TS#p284258" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So I changed the 500pF black SM treble cap. Problem solved. I took the 500pF volume I cap out as well. I like the sound better.
The amp is repared and back to great sound and low noise! Rock'n'roll time!

Thanks!
Awesome ! Let'er rip !
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms