Amp stopped making sound :(

Discuss your builds of MetroAmp Kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

TheShaggyFox
Just the numbers in order: 7

Amp stopped making sound :(

Post by TheShaggyFox » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:03 pm

:(

Well last night, my at practice my MetroAmp Plexi 50 watt Superlead stopped making sound. It's interesting though, the indicator lamp still lights up and the amp still felt like it was running well. I did not get to see if every and all tubes were lit up because I didn't want to mess around with it too much.

I checked the amp with different instrument and speaker cables and still I had no sound. My guitar worked through a different amplifier that I had to rent after the MetroAmp died, although I was unable to check if the MetroAmp would work if ran it through a different extension cabinet.

To clarify, I'm not looking for help on how to fix it because I don't really have the knowledge/electrical know-how to fix it so I'm going to bring it to my favorite amp guru, but I'd appreciate it if you guys could mention a few reasons as to why this situation might happen.

Kindof an odd thread but I'm bored at work and I like reading your guys posts. Thanks!

toner

Re: Amp stopped making sound :(

Post by toner » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:56 pm

Might have blown the HT fuse. You would still have power and tubes would light up but no sound. Check the fuse for continuity with a meter if you have one or just replace it (500mA slow blow). Next likely cause is a tube, which can take out the HT fuse. If it's not the fuse or a new one blows you may have a bad tube, most likely a power tube.

TheShaggyFox
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Amp stopped making sound :(

Post by TheShaggyFox » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:33 pm

Thanks man you rule. If it's a bad tube maybe this is a good time to shell out for some quality tubes. Thank goodness for having only two EL34's!