Need EFX Loop Schematic for 2204

Discuss your builds of MetroAmp Kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

cruisemates

Need EFX Loop Schematic for 2204

Post by cruisemates » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:46 pm

I have a Marshall 4010 - I just bought the MetroAmps zero loss effects loop and the master volume.

I have taken both kits and the amp to a qualified amp tech - but he says the included MetroAmps instructions are not specific enough for the Marshall 2204. I am not a tech - can anyone PLEASE guide me to schematic or picture of this loop installed in a 2204?

I also have the Master volume kit and need the same - a schematic. A picture of either or both installed would also be helpful. I DID try the search function. I apologize if this is common knowledge - I appreciate any help you can give me and thank you in advance!!!

toner

Re: Need EFX Loop Schematic for 2204

Post by toner » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:26 pm

Sorry if this seems rude but you need to find a different tech. If he can't figure it out from the info below I wouldn't let him touch your amp. :roll:

The loop instructions are very specific and easy to follow:
http://home.comcast.net/%7Ejbjdav26/Zer ... v%203A.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You won't find a full schematic unless someone has reverse-engineered it.

Here's info on the two PPIMV's (not sure which you have):
http://metroamp.com/wiki/index.php/Lar/Mar_PPI-MV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://metroamp.com/wiki/index.php/Metroamp_PPI_MV_kit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PPIMV install in a PCB amp:
http://home.comcast.net/%7Ejbjdav26/ppimvinstall.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cruisemates

Post by cruisemates » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:43 pm

Like I said in another forum - I am not sure what he got on the CD that came with the metroamp loop - but all I know is that he asked me for something more 2204 specific.

The guy is very well known and respected in these parts - has been running a successful amp repair shop for over 30 years, the top shop in our metro area (one of the top 6 cities in the U.S.)

I am not a tech, so I can't answer your question as to why he would ask - but either he just wants to be 100% sure of something he thought was ambiguous - or he didn't get enough info the first time around.

In any case - 1000s of people around here know & trust him. I would hate to think he doesn't know what he is doing. He has done a very good job for me on three other Marshalls I took to him.

And FWIW, he had not heard of this particular loop, but he said he had high hopes for it because he had always found the 2204 circuit to be the only amp he could not personally design a loop for. If he likes it he said he will will probably sell 100s of them.

SDM
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by SDM » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:05 am

The loop install pictured in the instructions was actually a 2203 install, is exactly the same for a DIY 2204. A factory Marshall 2204 (or 4010) install is done the same way too, though is of course done on a PCB rather than a turret board. Earlier 2203/4 PCBs are still laid out almost exactly the same as the older turret boards, so the instructions should be very straight forward in those cases.

Perhaps your amp is a late 800 era example though with the pots mounted to the PCB? If so, maybe that is causing him some confusion on the best approach to take. May be something else, or your tech just wants to be extra extra sure about something, but regardless he can feel free to contact me directly about it if he'd like.

Can find my email address under "contact" here: http://home.comcast.net/~mamp17/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: I'm going to assume it is perhaps a later JCM 800 era 4010 you have. If so, I roughly edited the late 4010 schems to show how the loop can be installed on these boards with minimal effort: LINK
Hopefully that may help, if not just have him send me an email.

cruisemates

Post by cruisemates » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:14 pm

Thank you SDM - most helpful. I will get that to him right away.

FYI: the amp has the vertical inputs and the pots are mounted to the chassis according to the seller. (Or whereever they were on the earlier models) - still - all information is useful, right?

demonufo
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by demonufo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:29 am

You really do need to consider a different tech though if he couldn't figure that out. Having a good rep doesn't prove all that much in comparison to actions
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!