How's triode electronics kits ?

Discuss your builds of MetroAmp Kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Stretchy
Just the numbers in order: 7

How's triode electronics kits ?

Post by Stretchy » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:18 pm

I've built a Metro 100 Watt Plexi a while ago, great kit, just a little prob so far (see my other post), but overall very nice experience.

Now I would like to build a 2203, and I saw a kit at Triode Electronics (http://www.triodeelectronics.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Anyone knows these guys, how are they ? Is Ceriatone better then them ?

Thanks!

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: How's triode electronics kits ?

Post by JimiJames » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:48 pm

The old owner is a great guy and was very knowledgeable. He gave a 5-10% discount to MetroAmp members. As I recall had Hammond clone their trannies . He's currently gigging with a band (Chrome Horses, I think) touring with Michael Almond and sits in at times as his B3 guy.
I don't see any Triode posts other than just the banner here with the new owners unless there's a rep under a different name.
Otherwise, That's all I know.
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

Stretchy

Post by Stretchy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:55 am

And how are those transfo ? Are they any good ?

BAinFL

Post by BAinFL » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:07 pm

Pretty sure their 2203 and other Marshall kits all use Classic Tone trannies not Hammond.

"All Transformers are manufactured to our specifications by a Chicago Transformer company with over 50 years experience making high voltage Transformers for tube amplifiers"

Magnetic Components a.k.a. Classic Tone = Chicago based

And from personal experience, I couldn't be happier with my Classic Tone PT/OT that I put in my 12000 build.
79 Tokai Les Paul Reborn
68 12000
Bray 4550
Scumback M75 PVC 20w 4x12
Scumback BM75 LD 65w 4x12
Celestion G12M-65 Cream 2x12
1960A RR w/ Altec 417-8H

Stretchy

Post by Stretchy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:00 pm

Ok, thanks!

I think I'll give it a go. You think that using the Metro guide for the 2203 would be ok ? What scares me the most is that all triode electronics gives is a diagram (which looks ok) and offer technical support via telephone or email. There's no step by step as Metro does. I was thinking using the triode kit with the Metro step by step guide. Your take on this ?

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:33 am

Yes All that is on their webpage.
Referring to the old owner -Jim Pacelt- ordered small lots from Hammond for his early kits. He sold the company.
Anyway was pretty cool that he was offering a discount to our members here.
Triode is the same great company with a bigger inventory and sounds like BAinFL has his 12000 build a'singin' with his Classic Tone PT/OT :thumbsup: Where 'those demo sound clips man? :D
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

BAinFL

Post by BAinFL » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:51 am

JimiJames wrote:...sounds like BAinFL has his 12000 build a'singin' with his Classic Tone PT/OT :thumbsup: Where 'those demo sound clips man? :D
Buiried in the 12000 build threads where the tumbleweeds roll past =P

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php ... 30#p358815" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope to pickup a mic and eventually record this thing properly. It really has a great growl that this fizzy little camera mic didnt capture.
79 Tokai Les Paul Reborn
68 12000
Bray 4550
Scumback M75 PVC 20w 4x12
Scumback BM75 LD 65w 4x12
Celestion G12M-65 Cream 2x12
1960A RR w/ Altec 417-8H

Stretchy

Post by Stretchy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:47 pm

Ok, so I would be good to go with this kit and it's layout but using the Metroamp guide ?

Baron74

Post by Baron74 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:26 pm

How did you get on with this build and the Classic Tone Trannies in particular? I was thinking of the Triode kit but i noticed they are a 4 input version from the photos of the chassis?

Actually my bad - the faceplates show 2 inputs...

Stretchy2

Post by Stretchy2 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:56 am

Hey... I'm Stretchy even if this post is done using Stretchy2 (the admin never answered my calls of detress to gain acces to my original account)

Lots of work these days, so the build is on pause right now. I had the same thoughts about the 4 holers, the faceplate will indeed cover the 4 inputs exposing only two.

I should return to the build soon, I may take a few days off to give it a go!

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:54 pm

turretboards.com has a JCM800 2204 kit now, with chassis and classic tone trannies for 500 bucks.

Seems a good price...might be worth checking into.
Metroamp kit JMP50 - CM OT
Metroamp JTM45 turned JMP50 w/Classictone OT
Marshall 2550 Jubilee