FX Loop Kit Questions

Discuss your builds of MetroAmp Kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

passerby3141
Just the numbers in order: 7

FX Loop Kit Questions

Post by passerby3141 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:36 am

Hello all, I'm a very occasional visitor here, and have always had good luck with questions when I do come around. So first off thanks!

I put a Metro turret kit in my JTM45 RI a few years back, and after tweaking and tube collecting and experimenting I really think I'm getting the most out of this amp now, except I'm curious about the FX loop kit. Anyone know if there would be enough room to install this in an amp with the old (no longer sold on the site) Metro turret board kit installed? The board is larger than the standard kit board and the original PCB board.

My next question is, how much difference is there when using the loop as opposed to running a reverb or other effects in front of the amp? It seems most of the overdrive comes from the power section when cranking these amps, so is there really that much benefit or difference in using the loop vs. running effects out front?

People seem to really love the kit, but as I am basically an electronics novice, I'm wondering if the effort and time will a worthwhile investment. I know this all can be very subjective, so any input or opinions would be appreciated.

My last question, is it possible to mod the kit so the loop is foot switchable to take it in or out of the signal path with a quick stomp?

Thanks!

demonufo
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: FX Loop Kit Questions

Post by demonufo » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:09 am

It is difficult for me to answer subjectively, since effects of any kind are not for me (except in the studio maybe), but generally, time-based effects such as reverb and delay almost always benefit being in a loop, rather than in front of the amp. It's not true that most of the distortion comes from the power amp either, which is why there is a real benefit in adding a loop.
The volume controls on these amps are not master volumes, the gain is increased to the preamp as well as the power amp. Add time based effects in front of this, and things tend to get a little muddy. Especially in a circuit passing a lot of bass such as a JTM45.

As for fitment in a RI, I've no idea.
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

passerby3141
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: FX Loop Kit Questions

Post by passerby3141 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:40 am

Thanks for the input. I didn't realize the preamp was distorting much. Maybe it's because I mainly play a strat.