From Champ to Superlead

Discuss your builds of MetroAmp Kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

PositiveAmplitude
Just the numbers in order: 13492

From Champ to Superlead

Post by PositiveAmplitude » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:36 am

Well, hello there my fellow dabblers in loud.

I've built a handful of Fender Champ clones and a deluxe clone. Now, I've got the bug to build a 100 watt Superlead clone and I'm wondering what the best approach would be.

There is a TON of valuable information on this forum that will probably really help me out in my build. The question I have is:

* Should I order all the parts off of Valvestorm and build an original style, non-master volume amp or go ahead and add some of the more popular mods such as master volume and/or effects loop?

I'm just looking for a good starting point for with this amp. I'm comfortable changing out caps and resistors down the road, after I'm a bit more knowledgable about the circuit and what I want out of it.

(In the back of my mind I'm asking ...which transformers to get?)

Thanks for the guidance.

neikeel

Re: From Champ to Superlead

Post by neikeel » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:56 pm

Simplest would be to buy the parts from Valvestorm and follow the Metro 100w instructions. Slight differences re the power transformer.

Build it stock first, see if you like it. Mods like PPIMV, loop, resonance or virtual variac can be added later, similarly versions of the 2 in1 as well can all be incorporated later.

Transformers depend on budget and how picky you are. I have used Metro, Marstran and ****** as well as MM although not Magnetic Corp. I can wholeheartedly recommend the first three for a vintage type project and maybe a MM for a Hotrod. The Magnet corp I simply cannot comment other than there seem to be more than a few happy punters, whether that they saved money and got reasonable tone or extraordinarily good value for money I do not know.

Stick around :wink:
Neil

PositiveAmplitude

Post by PositiveAmplitude » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:40 pm

Thanks for the advice! I've used MM in the past on a couple of builds and in the Fender world they make for a brighter/more responsive tone to the amps. My fear is that in a Marshall they'll turn my 12xxx into a Hot Rod Deluxe. Any opinions on where MM Marshall clones end up on the Marshall - Fender scale?

jimmyride

Post by jimmyride » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:51 am

There's a lot of opinions on trannys if you search for them... Personally I went with the Metro trannies and I love them. I never tried MM but generally people say these'll make your amp sound more... modern. I didn't want that.