Strats and the 12000 series?

Discuss your builds of MetroAmp Kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

muddeone

Post by muddeone » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:28 pm

rockstah wrote: . . . shouldnt be playing a strat in the first place!
Rock on! :D EVH has a strat :shock:

-

Skoora

Post by Skoora » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:56 pm

I don't care for the JB Hot Noiseless from Fender. I thought they lost in character what they gained in output. First of let me say I'm a long time Gibson / Marshall guy and don't like super plinky strats. I did on a side by side comparison much prefer the pup's in a US 60's reissue strat. The JB's drive more but they're seriously lacking in clarity in a higher gain setting. The 60's pup's had that awesome Klaanng. Hot surf and 70's hard rock tones from the bridge and the most beautiful neck pickup round, fat, hollow blues from the heavens. I also like the vintage noiseless that are in the EC model.

One of these days I'll get the JB strat (love the neck) and put in either 60's or vintage noiseless in it. Wammo.

JimmyR

Post by JimmyR » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:21 am

I must say that I don't play through 100W Marshalls - I use 50W Metroamp homebews. But I know what you're talking about - I just recently got a CS '56 Strat and love it. I still have the stock pickups in it because these ones sound killer. But the advice to try Kinman Woodstocks was a good idea - they are wonderful pickups. I had them in another Strat - they replaced the Vintage noiseless that were in it and were much better IMHO.

But my suggestion is to try a booster of some sort. I just tried my Timmy pedal with the new Strat and it sounded incredible into my MV and non-MV "Marshalls". Mind you, it sounds pretty good into these amps clean too. The Timmy is great for keeping you tone but adding "more" and allowing you to tweak treble and bass.

The other thing which is a must for me is to rewire the middle pickup's tone pot to the bridge pickup. Even on full it still tames the top-end a bit.

HTH!

mushmouth

Post by mushmouth » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:51 pm

JimmyR wrote:...The other thing which is a must for me is to rewire the middle pickup's tone pot to the bridge pickup. Even on full it still tames the top-end a bit.

HTH!
I'm embarrased asking this question in this forum: How do I do that? I've never rewired anything on a guitar. Just simple part swaps...

Is there a diagram online for idiots on how to do this mod? It's gotta be a pretty common thing.

MacGaden
Wiki Editor
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by MacGaden » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:58 am

mushmouth wrote:
JimmyR wrote:...The other thing which is a must for me is to rewire the middle pickup's tone pot to the bridge pickup. Even on full it still tames the top-end a bit.

HTH!
I'm embarrased asking this question in this forum: How do I do that? I've never rewired anything on a guitar. Just simple part swaps...

Is there a diagram online for idiots on how to do this mod? It's gotta be a pretty common thing.
You only need to move one wire. Look at this:

Just move the wire for the mid tone to the next lug on the switch.

Also look at this: http://www.guitarnuts.com
MacG.

"Play it right, Dad ! No More Dwiddely Dwiddely !
My son Adam at 3 years old. Best advice I ever got..

Jetmarshall

Post by Jetmarshall » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:33 pm

Nice Job on buying that Custom Shop Relic Strat. They are nice guitars. I also bought a '56 relic strat (built by Yuri Shishkov) last year and love that guitar.

Like you, I love the tone of the guitar, the wood and the warmth. However, I find the pickups lack-lustre. I find my pick-ups somewhat dull compared to my Lace Holy Grails, which I used in my old EC strat. The Holy Grails seem to have the character, nuance and sparkle and fullness that is not found in my Custom Shop p-ups. I will likely put them in my strat soon.

I suggest trying out the Holy Grails. To me they have that vintage vibe and a higher output as well.

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:17 pm

I love Strats the best through my MetroHW the best,my OBL single coil in Hamer the DiMarzio HS-3's and YJM's,the Vintage Reissue '57 I have,beautiful tone and clarity with fantastic sensitivity to pick attack,as it should be,totally lacking in a stock HW for me,never have played a 12000 Metro though,i know that would be even better :D :D
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bloozeman2002

Post by bloozeman2002 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:15 pm

Hey mushmouth.. Email me. I have the same amp, and I have discovered some GREAT tones with stock Fender pickups. I think you will be very happy.

tgauss@itsgames.com