NOS Mustard Orientation

Everything from original vintage Marshalls to reissues.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Sparky

Post by Sparky » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:02 pm

There is an outer foil. Think of the cap as two strips of foil rolled up with two strips of thin polyester in between them to isolate them from each other. the foil that ends up on the outside when your done is the outer foil. Connecting it to the lower impedance side help reduce coupling of noise into the cap. Lower impedance source sides would be ground on a cathode bypass or the plate side of an interstage coupling cap. Whether it makes a difference or not...

Well if you can measure it with a scope then I would say it is possible, especially in tube amps where you have high voltages and things are more likely to couple. I doubt it makes as big a deal as wire layout.

Edit: Ooops, I just realized there's three pages to this thread. I guess I was responding to some posts on p.1 Sorry. :oops:

Ricky Lee
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Ricky Lee » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:19 pm

Put the bands/circles on the caps toward the tube sockets.
May the good Lord take a liking to you!

http://s623.photobucket.com/albums/tt31 ... i%2012xxx/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Xplorer
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re:

Post by Xplorer » Sun May 12, 2024 9:34 am

5150loveeddie wrote:
Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:58 pm
So for the two coupling caps at the 12AX7 tubes, put the foil side facing the tube sockets connecting to the plate resistors...
For the 2 caps in the TONE stack, put the foil side toward the potentiometers... For the input cap for the PI, place the foil side towards the pots also...
The two PI coupling caps have the foil side facing the tube sockets connected to the plate resistors...
Ricky Lee wrote:
Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:19 pm
Put the bands/circles on the caps toward the tube sockets.
Both approachs seem to contradict each other, wondering which it is .. For :

the 2 x PI coupling caps
the 1 x V3 PI grid cap
the 1 x PI input cap
the 2 x tone stack caps
the 2 x V1 plate bypass caps
the 1 x presence cap