Help me find Frank Levi, the designer of the Slash AFD amp !

Everything from original vintage Marshalls to reissues.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

budubum

Re: Help me find Frank Levi, the designer of the Slash AFD amp !

Post by budubum » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:06 pm

Grosh_Guitars wrote:It was so long ago I don't really remember . I do remember him not adding a extra ore amp tube. He told me then that he didn't butcher the amp like lee Jackson and that mod was pretty simple and could be reversed very easy if needed to put back to stock. What I do remember is the amps sounded awesome!

so if he didnt add a tube, did it have gain then? if so, did he add extra stage thru the V2 like rocca forte then.

slashsound

Post by slashsound » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:11 pm

Why is the name Cerrems no liked here? Should I stay away from his trannies, mods, and products? I would like to know if its just a personal beef with some people here or if his products are bad and its all a scam. Please let me know so I can form my own opinion if I should or not conduct business with him at some time.

demonufo
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by demonufo » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:57 pm

Good product, nothing wrong there, just he and George have an issue. Not sure what, best not to ask.
But I've never heard anybody slamming Chris or his trannies.
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

Grosh_Guitars

Post by Grosh_Guitars » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:29 pm

budubum wrote:
Grosh_Guitars wrote:It was so long ago I don't really remember . I do remember him not adding a extra ore amp tube. He told me then that he didn't butcher the amp like lee Jackson and that mod was pretty simple and could be reversed very easy if needed to put back to stock. What I do remember is the amps sounded awesome!

so if he didnt add a tube, did it have gain then? if so, did he add extra stage thru the V2 like rocca forte then.
yes it had more gain, I am not sure as to what he did, well no I just received some info from a friend on what was done, however I was told not to say, very simple mods done with the existing circuit. all my amps back in the day were 1976 2203, 1979 2203, and 1982 2203.
Sound Clips: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

budubum

Post by budubum » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:48 pm

Grosh_Guitars wrote:
budubum wrote:

yes it had more gain, I am not sure as to what he did, well no I just received some info from a friend on what was done, however I was told not to say, very simple mods done with the existing circuit. all my amps back in the day were 1976 2203, 1979 2203, and 1982 2203.
hehe ok kool

Kapo_Polenton

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:45 am

Guys, go to my thread in this same section. Give me your thoughts on my attempt at the SLash tone on stock equipment. just for fun but gives the rest of us some hope..

Ps- Grosh, give up the goods bro! 8) Its all in good fun and would allow us to put the mystery to rest!

budubum

Post by budubum » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:55 am

Kapo_Polenton wrote:Guys, go to my thread in this same section. Give me your thoughts on my attempt at the SLash tone on stock equipment. just for fun but gives the rest of us some hope..

Ps- Grosh, give up the goods bro! 8) Its all in good fun and would allow us to put the mystery to rest!

link me to it

Kapo_Polenton

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:44 pm

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25391" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; hopefully you can download the mp3

LypsLynch55

Post by LypsLynch55 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:47 pm

thousandshirts wrote:
RACKSYSTEMS wrote:So Slash has a amp that has appeared on most of the records that was modded by Frank Levi and I just worked on it. I can only imagine that this is the same mod. So I know what it is. By the way it is #34 sir amp.
Wow, look at that, guys. There you go. Dave to the rescue. 8)
Seriously. Dave - havin u chime in with your wisdom on this board is priceless. Thanks for takin the time out to shoot the breeze with us mortals
-Pauley
"Just shine the echo there....Tommy get those cords that we use" - DLR during the Pasadena Rehearsal

thousandshirts

Post by thousandshirts » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:53 pm

LypsLynch55 wrote:
thousandshirts wrote:
RACKSYSTEMS wrote:So Slash has a amp that has appeared on most of the records that was modded by Frank Levi and I just worked on it. I can only imagine that this is the same mod. So I know what it is. By the way it is #34 sir amp.
Wow, look at that, guys. There you go. Dave to the rescue. 8)
Thanks for takin the time out to shoot the breeze
Cowabunga!

Kapo_Polenton

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:12 pm

So Dave is this why your hairy eye mod sound soo close to the AFD sound? :wink: If we have this info let's have out with it! Your amp mods sound amazing I can't shake those clips.

RACKSYSTEMS

Post by RACKSYSTEMS » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:48 pm

No the Brown Eye and Hairy Brown Eye have nothing to do with the mods done on slash's amp.
Rack Systems / Tone Merchants
5419 Cleon Ave.
North Hollywood, Ca. 91601
[818] 209-4309
Racksystems@yahoo.com
Tonemerchants.com

Grosh_Guitars

Post by Grosh_Guitars » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:47 pm

I'm sorry, I can't share. If Dave wants to share than that's okay. Out of Respect for Frank I can't. Frank told me he would have a new amp out by 2010. Frank still does mods as far as what he has told me. I will tell you I loved the amps that he did for me back in the day, wish I would have never sold them. I still poke around on ebay looking for them.
Sound Clips: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

antosimoni
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by antosimoni » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:34 am

slashsound wrote:Ok after much research and some out of the box thinking I was able to find his phone number. I called, guess what...he said he is in the hospital and to call him in 10 days. I was like " Oh Im sorry sir, I hope you get better soon" and so Ill have to wait :( . Obviously I can not give out his number without his permission, so it will be at least 10 days till I talk to him again.
Grosh_Guitars wrote:I'm sorry, I can't share. If Dave wants to share than that's okay. Out of Respect for Frank I can't. Frank told me he would have a new amp out by 2010. Frank still does mods as far as what he has told me. I will tell you I loved the amps that he did for me back in the day, wish I would have never sold them. I still poke around on ebay looking for them.
so guys did you get in touch with Frank ??
in loudspeakers we trust

Grosh_Guitars

Post by Grosh_Guitars » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:10 am

antosimoni wrote:
slashsound wrote:Ok after much research and some out of the box thinking I was able to find his phone number. I called, guess what...he said he is in the hospital and to call him in 10 days. I was like " Oh Im sorry sir, I hope you get better soon" and so Ill have to wait :( . Obviously I can not give out his number without his permission, so it will be at least 10 days till I talk to him again.
Grosh_Guitars wrote:I'm sorry, I can't share. If Dave wants to share than that's okay. Out of Respect for Frank I can't. Frank told me he would have a new amp out by 2010. Frank still does mods as far as what he has told me. I will tell you I loved the amps that he did for me back in the day, wish I would have never sold them. I still poke around on ebay looking for them.
so guys did you get in touch with Frank ??
yes I have.