Got my PTP Board! Have many Questions. Help appreciate.

Everything from original vintage Marshalls to reissues.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Dax-The-Ax

Got my PTP Board! Have many Questions. Help appreciate.

Post by Dax-The-Ax » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:37 pm

I am attempting to build and install the 50 Watt Super Lead Board. I am confused about the Sozo Caps. The Parts list says i should have (6) .022 uf and (1) .0022 uf Caps. I do have these, but the picture below that i was going to use to build the board shows (7) .022 uf caps. I am confused. And, is it alright to use the pic below to assemble the board? Thanks alot, and bear with me, i am not very good at this wiring thing.

gnugear

Post by gnugear » Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:34 am

The third yellow cap on the left ... that's a .022 and can sometimes be swapped out for a .002. It tightens up the bass by not allowing as much to pass through. It's nice when the bass is too farty.

You can swap all the values if you want, but that seems to be the spot for the .0022
Gear:
'74 Super Lead rebuilt with '68 metro board and old stock mustards.
'73 Super Lead
'68 Basketweave with pre rola G12Ms
'70 Basketweave

Dax-The-Ax

Post by Dax-The-Ax » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:33 am

Ahh, That's what i was going to do with the .0022 after looking at your PTP board on the forum cloesely. I am really grateful for your help. I know you know whats happening and have done this swap before so i will be needing alot of your advice.

Dax Determan

P.S. Gnugear, i have tone caps or bright caps on both volume controls, i should take the one off of the normal volume control (Volume II), correct? and what value have you found sounds the best on the high volume control (Volume I)? :? :?

Dax-The-Ax

Post by Dax-The-Ax » Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:01 pm

Another question, i know where the blue wires off of the stand-by switch go, but i don't know where to put the white wire from the bottom lug of the stand-by. Also, there is a black ground wire near the bias pot connected to a Sprague 10uf cap, which filter cap does this go to? And does it go to the actual filter cap lug, or the ground lug thats bolted on next to the filter cap?

I suck at this!!
Dax

gnugear

Post by gnugear » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:07 pm

I think the bright cap should only be on volume II. I played around with a bunch of values and like 100pf or nothing at all. I know it's supposed to be out of the circuit when it's dimed, but I swear I can hear it add more grit. Another guy on the plexipalace said he noticed the same thing. I'll have to look at my board again to see where those wires go. In fact I just rewired it so I'll take a pic tonight and post it for you. :)
Gear:
'74 Super Lead rebuilt with '68 metro board and old stock mustards.
'73 Super Lead
'68 Basketweave with pre rola G12Ms
'70 Basketweave

Dax-The-Ax

Post by Dax-The-Ax » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:43 pm

You are the man, Thanks