JTM Recommendation!

Everything from original vintage Marshalls to reissues.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Ampex456
Just the numbers in order: 13492

JTM Recommendation!

Post by Ampex456 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:41 am

New to the forum, making my first post here! I currently have a Trinity 18 watt S3 (based on JTM45). Even though it is EL84, it is phenomenal sounding and tied for the best amp I've ever owned. The problem is it absolutely doesn't have enough headroom. I play Jazz, Funk and Rock with low gain. I ride the volume knob a lot, and run it thru a 2x12.

My plan is to rent a 50 or 100 watt Marshall to test it out with my band, but I am broke and will have just enough money to rent the amp for a day and buy it. I don't have the money in pocket, and want to be well educated for when I do. I have a few questions.
1. JTM45 (with a 50 watt transformer) or 45/100? (I also play a twin which I think has the right amount of power)
2. KT66 or EL34?
3. Is a 45/100 as loud as a twin? I have heard these put out 80 watts RMS.
4. 4 tube amps are expensive to retube! Would running a 45/100 on a low volume help preserve the tubes?
5. Do most 100 watt marshalls need fans because they run so hot, or only the old ones?
6. Who makes the best >1200 dollar kit?
Thank you in advance for any help you might give, it means a lot for people to share their knowledge with me.

Haze13
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: JTM Recommendation!

Post by Haze13 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:58 pm

*Twin will stay clean for a longer time than a Marshall circuit.
*34's have earlier brake-up than KT66 amp. If you decide on KT66 amp make sure it has an OT that was build for KT66, and not EL34 based amp with KT66's.
*KT66 more expansive than EL34 and not every brand will live happy in a 45/100 amp with high voltages.
*Colder bias will help to prolong the life of the tube, but the sound will be worse.

If you could play with the tubes it will help. For example there are players who prefer 6550 tubes in JCM800 amps because it will stay clean longer than with the EL34. But if you need a just a clean amp, why bother with marshall?

You could try to find how a JTM45 amps sound with tubes like KT88 or 6550...
If you want a good kit, you have to search every part for your self, because Ready-To-Go Kit that companies like Ceriatone, TubeDepot, MOJO can offer, are different. Resistors, caps, transformers are different.
Some say the ClassicTone iron is not the best, but it's affordable. I've build the JCM800 50 Watt amp with OT from ClassicTone, and A/B-ed the amp with the JCM800 100w Reissue and DO NOT REGRET AT ALL! :)

Use google and YouTube before you buy something... It can help to save your money!