The "right" way to ground cable shield?

Everything from original vintage Marshalls to reissues.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

lifer
Just the numbers in order: 7

The "right" way to ground cable shield?

Post by lifer » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:02 pm

i was lookin a some dudes layout online. i noitecd he grounded the shielding next to the preamp tube socket....with a seperate grnd lug.

i'm assuming it works fine for him and everything, etc., etc. but, just wondering if it is more desirable to ground it to the plate pin....as most people do? Any 'danger' for ground loop, etc?

neikeel

Re: The "right" way to ground cable shield?

Post by neikeel » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:45 pm

As you know you only ground at one end, the other is cut back and shrink wrapped.

On V1 I ground on the input jack and insulate on the socket.

If you put the ground on the plate pin that is the 'hot shield' and you do risk making your guitar live if there is a breakdown in insulation. It can be used to roll of some highs due to the increased capacitance the hot wire has (depending on the length of the wire).
I prefer the safe option and use caps across the plates to do the same job using different values to select how much top end I want to lose.
Neil

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: The "right" way to ground cable shield?

Post by VelvetGeorge » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:25 pm

As Neil says, hot shield will change the tone. Where you ground can also.

I try to ground the shield at the origin whenever possible. It generally works well.

Later in the preamp the signal is large enough that you might need to shield to keep the signal in, rather than keep outside interference out! For example, in the Metro-Plex, after the loop and before the master volumes, I'm using +12V on the shield to keep the large signal under control.

george
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...