Amparchives site down?

Everything from original vintage Marshalls to reissues.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

chrisom
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Amparchives site down?

Post by chrisom » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:16 pm

Yes- Thank You Phil! And Welcome to METRO! :rock: :shred: :toast:

syscokid
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by syscokid » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:39 pm

chrisom wrote:Yes- Thank You Phil! And Welcome to METRO! :rock: :shred: :toast:
Yes yes yes... I'll "second" that... :clap:
"When I'm on stage and first plug in, and I feel a rush of air in my balls... That's when I know my guitar is sounding good!" -Leslie West

substatica

Post by substatica » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:24 pm

The archive is back online, with search, browse, comments and more to come!

http://amparchives.com

bill bokey

Post by bill bokey » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:13 am

Wow ! Great news !!! :rock:

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:18 pm

Yes good news

I have had a look and it seems a bit clunky at first attempt (could not see JMP pages etc) but maybe needs getting used to.
Neil

substatica

Post by substatica » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:34 pm

neikeel wrote:Yes good news

I have had a look and it seems a bit clunky at first attempt (could not see JMP pages etc) but maybe needs getting used to.
I'm still working on the site, so it may go down here and there, at least until most of the work is done. My priority was to make the archive available again for those who use it, if that wasn't the case I probably wouldn't have made the site public just yet.

Certainly let me know if you run into any further issues or trouble spots.

echoplexi1974

Post by echoplexi1974 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:04 pm

Thanks so much for taking over the site. We really appreciate it!!!

Do you think you'll further sort the amps by serial number or by year in each amp category?

Thanks!!

substatica

Post by substatica » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:46 pm

echoplexi1974 wrote:Thanks so much for taking over the site. We really appreciate it!!!

Do you think you'll further sort the amps by serial number or by year in each amp category?

Thanks!!
While you can search by serial number (in the keywords field) or partial serial number, model, etc. For instance searching the Marshall category for the keyword "SL1" will bring up all Marshalls with a serial number starting with "SL1". You can also share searches by copying the address bar.

http://www.amparchives.com/search/?manu ... 1&offset=0

The trouble is that not all of the amps in the archive have that information available which means creating a folder structure from those data points would leave many amps stranded. I do intend to add an advanced search with specific search fields, but again many don't have specific years or serial numbers.

I will be doing some tidying of the names and folder structure once I have developed the editing end of things. Though even when that's complete there are 1,900+ folders containing almost 15,000 images and documents, and that will grow by 3,000 pretty soon. So you can imagine it won't tidy quickly.

Anyone can register with the site (there's a link below each gallery in the comments section) and those who do will be able to comment on amps with additional information or corrections. I'm hoping the community will help contribute to the accuracy in this way. Down the road I may add support for having some registered users with moderate/edit permissions to further prune and tidy the archive.

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:50 am

I am delighted that the site is up and running and it is a valuable resource, I appreciate that it is a huge amount of work to retain and develop it.

I will be contributing too (in the same way that I contribute to PP and Wikipedia - when I remember).

I had got used to the thumbnail approach and categories. e.eg from a Marshall perspective I never think of a JTM45/100 being a Model 1959.

I think that ultimately there will need to be some system of working out which amp is which rather than pot luck in a long list of JTM45s with no distinguishing features (as you would see with a year date, ser number or a thumbnail.

Great to see it coming together :clap:
Neil

substatica

Post by substatica » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:04 am

neikeel wrote:I am delighted that the site is up and running and it is a valuable resource, I appreciate that it is a huge amount of work to retain and develop it.

I will be contributing too (in the same way that I contribute to PP and Wikipedia - when I remember).

I had got used to the thumbnail approach and categories. e.eg from a Marshall perspective I never think of a JTM45/100 being a Model 1959.

I think that ultimately there will need to be some system of working out which amp is which rather than pot luck in a long list of JTM45s with no distinguishing features (as you would see with a year date, ser number or a thumbnail.

Great to see it coming together :clap:
All of that associated data is still available (you see it at the top of each gallery/folder), I may put options into the browse as to what to sort by and what to include in the listing names, though many of the folders contain the same year, the same model and many without serial numbers so perhaps I'll display the item id. I'm considering adding year to the listings.

I've gone ahead and added year, and serial number to the browse listings - the fun of having everything in a database.

rtcook

Post by rtcook » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:42 pm

Hi guys!

I see Phil is getting Amp Archives up and running again. I want to thank everyone for visiting the site and/or contrubutin over the years. I unfortunately have not had enough time to keep the site updated with all the new material. I decided at the last moment to let my site expire. I was contemplating contacting someone to take it over, but Phil contacted me and I was convinced he was the man for the job. I wish everyone well and hope you use and contribute to the new site.

Peace,

Roger

chrisom
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by chrisom » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:12 pm

Thank you Phil and thank you Roger! :peace: :rock: :shred: :rockon:

substatica

Post by substatica » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:25 pm

chrisom wrote:Thank you Phil and thank you Roger! :peace: :rock: :shred: :rockon:
Roger, by any measure, deserves the lion's share of appreciation. This changing of the guard means, though I have done some work, I have much ahead, all of which which Roger's years of dedication and effort have laid the foundation for.

echoplexi1974

Post by echoplexi1974 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:45 pm

What's the policy on submitting pictures to the website? I have some Marshall plexi pictures that I've saved over the years, they are not on the amparchives site. I just kept them for reference.

In other words, is it okay submitting pictures of amps you don't own or no longer own?

substatica

Post by substatica » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:46 pm

echoplexi1974 wrote:What's the policy on submitting pictures to the website? I have some Marshall plexi pictures that I've saved over the years, they are not on the amparchives site. I just kept them for reference.

In other words, is it okay submitting pictures of amps you don't own or no longer own?
Submissions are not available just yet, hopefully within the next couple of weeks.

When they are available submissions must be photos you have taken, or you must have the permission of the photographer to submit them.

If the owner of an amplifier featured on the site, or the owner of a trademark which appears on the site wishes to request its removal they may use the contact form on the site to do so.