Cap identity ?? 1959HW 100w

Everything from original vintage Marshalls to reissues.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Luke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Cap identity ?? 1959HW 100w

Post by Luke » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:25 am

I have a 1959HW 100w. Roughly 10 years old, I’ve had the amp since new and I’ve gigged it very hard over the years. My amp tech has done a little work on it back in 2012 when my mains transformer blew. We thinking because of bad power in a venue. The wall socket was giving out 265V on times.

talking to him at the time about tone, I was after more clean headroom and more bottom end, so he said why don’t I put 6L6GCs in it and see what you think. Anyway when I got the amp back it had a new transformer, 6L6s and he said he had tweaked the front end to make it a little more fender like.. and it was fine.

Some time after that he suggested i tried 2 KT120s in it. I didn’t like them, the amp was too sterile.. the last time it was re-valved about 5 years ago he put 2 5881s in socket 1 and 3 because I was finding it harder and harder to gig the amp because of the UKs strict noise laws.

Not long after that I stopped useing the amp, because of volume issues and pure size , until last year when I started playing bigger stages with a much louder drummer. I also have a 1971 jmp 50W head 100% original that sounds amazing and shakes the ground. And a 50th Anniversary JTM 45 Bluesbraker . So I swap back of forth the 50w and 100W and the 45 or even 2 amps if I have the space.

Over the last few weeks the 100W has been sounding very thin and lacking some balls, very top heavy and pretty quiet considering. My 18w DRZ is Louder at the moment. So I decided it’s about time I gave it some TLC.

I’m planning on putting 4 KT66s in it If that’s possible?. I have original Mullards in the front end..

I pulled the amp out to check nothing had blown inside and found 3 Capacitors my tech had changed years ago. I’m trying to find out what value and brand they are if anyone can help ?

All 3 are the same, the markings on top say ( 100NK 630V 468L ) photo below

I would like to make the amp sound a little more like a 45/100 without going crazy and changing to much.

Normally I would take the amp to my tech but I simply can’t afford too. He’s very good, he used to do all of Marshall’s repairs, He dose orange amps repairs and is the main uk repairs guy for matchless. Among many others. He also the tech for jimmy page and other major artists. Many a time he’s brought me an amp to try and brake before an artist takes it on the road..

Any help or info anyone can offer is much appreciated.

Thanks
Luke