1969 Super Tremolo

Everything from original vintage Marshalls to reissues.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

jnew
Just the numbers in order: 13492

1969 Super Tremolo

Post by jnew » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:51 pm

What's up everybody? Been a while since I've been around here. I hope everybody is having a great holiday season. :toast:

I have a 69 Super Tremolo project that I'm working on. I know the 67 through 69 years were very transitional and I'm finding that the Super Trem's were no exception. In fact, maybe even more so. So I'm curious to know what consistency, if any, that any of you may have experienced with these. If it helps, this particular amp has the mains and screens filtering underneath the chassis. Like 67/68 amps had. Though the pre-amp can is on top. And the PT is a laydown type with the OPT oriented front to back, like before they rotated them 90 degrees. I'm trying to figure out if these were patterned after lead or bass specs, shared or split V1 cathodes, etc. Any experienced opinions are welcome.

Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

neikeel

Re: 1969 Super Tremolo

Post by neikeel » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:02 pm

Sounds like a great project.

More like late 68 if only PI and pre cans up top?

I've seen both lead and bass spec trems, with no external distinguishing marks.

Pics please?
Neil

jnew

Post by jnew » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:22 pm

Hmm. Trying to post pics but it won't let me. :bang:

I'm guessing I need to set up a link to a photo website?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:19 am

From what I've seen a lot of the 1969's with the "ST/A xxxxx" serial number style tend to be Lead versions (split-cathode). The layout for the 68K input grid resistors might also shed some light as to whether the circuit was originally a Lead or Bass.

jnew

Post by jnew » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:08 pm

Today I will establish an account for posting photos and then attach a link.

But in the meantime, here are some specifics. The laydown PT is an original (T2562 I believe) as is the Dagnall 1.5" Opt Trans which, as mentioned before, is oriented front to back like 67/68's. The choke is also original (C1999). The chassis is original with the cutout for the foot switching plug, extra 12AX7 socket, Speed and Intensity pots on the front, etc. Panels are aluminum and appear to never have been removed from the chassis. So we're at a very nice platform or start overall.

The boards are where I'm a bit thrown. They look original with the dark brown Paxolin. At first I thought the main board was replaced because the Tremolo Circuit is not there. It just all starts with the V1 820/330 like a normal Plexi. But then I've come across some pics that show both scenario's. Some amps with separate little board for the Term circuits and others where the Term circuit was on one big board with all the other stuff. So I'm not sure if Marshall did this in both manners or not.
This particular circuit has the split arrangement with 820/330uF and 2.7K/.68. (old square Philips Chiclet) The extra turret for the 2.7K/.68 does appear to be original. There is also a .0022 coupler but this may have been swapped out because it is in the V1A position, not V2A like you would expect to see. (I think it was put here for the One Wire mod that is also present in this amp) So these all point to specs patterned after a Lead Amp, up to and including a Philips .68 Chiclet on V2. But after all that, it's Bass Specs. 56K/250pF tone stack and .1 output caps. So that's why I've been asking about this. The more I look into it, the more I realize that there seems there was no real standard for these. They're all different. :lol:

Filtering looks like 50uF all the way around but definitely changed out. Pre-amp has Daly dual 50uF on top of the chassis. Screens are two single Axial Daly 50uF's on the power cap board underneath while the Mains are two single Radial Erie 100uF's that have been fitted in using small zip ties. The rectifier is not the typical diodes. It's the rectifier bridge block type. Not sure if that's correct or not. I guess they showed up in amps around 69 but a lot of this amp is still early stuff and the inspection sticker has 2/5/69 written in pen on it. Serial # is ST/A 1082A, if that helps at all. The selector switches are those old pull out and rotate the little window that shows your selection of voltage or impedance. Bulgin power and small flathead fuse holders.

Like I said, I'll try and get some pics posted somewhere and post a link but I'm starting to think that I'll just make the amp whatever I like and if a time comes to sell, I'll just offer it up in any spec that the buyer chooses. And mind you, everything is with proper Iskra, Philips Mustard or Chiclets, etc. It doesn't look like I will find a consistent factory spec based on so many variations seen so far. Oh, and if anyone has a source for the stuff I will need to recommission the Tremolo Circuit in this thing, that would REALLY be appreciated. :thumbsup:

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:47 pm

FWIW, I can tell you that ST/A1169A is a Lead version (Test date: 17/5/69) and shares much of the same layout as your amp. It also has the trem circuit on a separate board.

jnew

Post by jnew » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:54 pm

I believe that. I'm looking at the chassis and I can see factory drilled holes that would support the idea of an entirely separate board for the trem circuit. :thumbsup: