2203 super lead restoration problem

Everything from original vintage Marshalls to reissues.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

mrkrausman

2203 super lead restoration problem

Post by mrkrausman » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:24 pm

All voltages appear normal. Swapped out all tubes. There is a frying egg sound with occasional popping that increases with master and preamp pots. I am leaning toward filter caps as the problem but would like to get ideas first. Thanks.
Miss those Metro kits terrible!
Metro 50 Watt
1980 Marshall 2203 JMP MkII
Mojotone 4X12 Scumback H75 M75

danman
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: 2203 super lead restoration problem

Post by danman » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:19 pm

I usually find dirty sockets or loose pins when those noises pop up. If you are pretty confident that they are not the issue, I would look at other suspects in the b+ line. Standby switch contacts may be failing (you can temporarily remove the switch and use a wire jumper to complete the circuit for troubleshooting), filter caps or possibly a bad plate resistor on the preamp tube. If the channel volume affects the noise level, the bad resistor would be before that control. You can pull v1 and see if the noise stops.

mrkrausman

Post by mrkrausman » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:38 pm

danman wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:19 pm
I usually find dirty sockets or loose pins when those noises pop up. If you are pretty confident that they are not the issue, I would look at other suspects in the b+ line. Standby switch contacts may be failing (you can temporarily remove the switch and use a wire jumper to complete the circuit for troubleshooting), filter caps or possibly a bad plate resistor on the preamp tube. If the channel volume affects the noise level, the bad resistor would be before that control. You can pull v1 and see if the noise stops.
Standby switch, plate resistor on V1, tube sockets all eliminated as source of noise. I pulled V1 and the noise remained. I swapped in both mains filters and noise remains. I am starting to doubt filter caps as the source. The choke is new but I will check it. Also my current limiter glows pretty good when I take it off standby, not sure if this matters it is 100 watt beast. Nothing smells or seems to run hot as I probe with a heat sensor. I will order a whole set of filter caps but I don’t think it’s the problem.
Metro 50 Watt

danman

Post by danman » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:58 pm

The treble cap in the tone stack can cause those types of noises and many people have reported problems with silver mica in the past few years. It may also be beneficial to reflow the solder joints at the preamp tube sockets as there may be a bad joint that is causing the noise.

danman

Post by danman » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:01 pm

There are also treble peaker caps (470pf) in the preamp that could be going bad and introducing that noise. If the pre-volume knob affects the noise volume, the issue should be in the circuitry before that volume pot.

mrkrausman

Post by mrkrausman » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:27 pm

danman wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:58 pm
The treble cap in the tone stack can cause those types of noises and many people have reported problems with silver mica in the past few years. It may also be beneficial to reflow the solder joints at the preamp tube sockets as there may be a bad joint that is causing the noise.
Thank you for your input. The board and components are all new but I will check those areas. I pulled V2 and noise remains. I will post again after I have changed the filter caps. There is an excess current draw on the output side or when high voltage standby is on. Like you said we look at the B+ line. If the AC Voltage is normal including the bias and filament and is rectified properly we can assume the PT is fine. Next we have the choke, this is also new but will check it. If all thi sounds checks out we may look at the Output transformer. It is acting like something is shorting to ground. There is also a huge chance I am overlooking something misplaced somewhere. Stay tuned.
Metro 50 Watt

danman

Post by danman » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:24 pm

Sorry...I didn't see your post above until today. Your assumptions about the PT would be correct. You mentioned that the lightbulb limiter bulb glows when you take the amp off standby. What wattage bulb are you using in the limiter? A 60 watt bulb will glow moderately in my 50 watt amp but it only glows brightly for a second or two as the filter caps charge up.

Do not overlook those silver mica caps because they are new though. Several builders have reported gremlins in their new builds caused by bad mica caps. Many folks have switched over to ceramic in their Marshall style builds to avoid the issues. If you do decide on mica, be sure they are quality caps such as Cornell Dublier. The bulk of the problems with them seem to be isolated to the black, unbranded ones used in many kits.