THE HW Marshall thread. Tweaking it step by step.

Everything from original vintage Marshalls to reissues.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

awangotango
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: THE HW Marshall thread. Tweaking it step by step.

Post by awangotango » Sun May 31, 2015 3:11 am

every organization has got it's blind and unquestioning supporters. This does not take anything away from the organization, since it has no control over it's supporters. One thing to keep in mind is that usually metroamps are not loaded with old glass. At least i've not seen any clips or youtube vids, and so they will of course sound more modern. The other aspect is fresh iron. Surely we know by now that it takes a bit of time (not sure how much) of current flowing through the trannies for them to settle in and so these two factors are what accounts for the slight difference in tone from new metroamps and our favorite old plexis. The other problem is the caps. Modern caps just don't sound like eries and LCR's for some reason (i've not tried the big sozos). And the only other variable is non mustards but that is slight I think compared to these other 3 things. But all things considered the metro's and HW's are different largely because of the transformers and I'd take the ones in the metro over the HW's. You can hear the hardness of the HW's on everyone's clip's and as good as gary moore makes them sound you can even hear it when he uses it.

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Sun May 31, 2015 8:43 am

awangotango wrote:every organization has got it's blind and unquestioning supporters. This does not take anything away from the organization, since it has no control over it's supporters. One thing to keep in mind is that usually metroamps are not loaded with old glass. At least i've not seen any clips or youtube vids, and so they will of course sound more modern. The other aspect is fresh iron. Surely we know by now that it takes a bit of time (not sure how much) of current flowing through the trannies for them to settle in and so these two factors are what accounts for the slight difference in tone from new metroamps and our favorite old plexis. The other problem is the caps. Modern caps just don't sound like eries and LCR's for some reason (i've not tried the big sozos). And the only other variable is non mustards but that is slight I think compared to these other 3 things. But all things considered the metro's and HW's are different largely because of the transformers and I'd take the ones in the metro over the HW's. You can hear the hardness of the HW's on everyone's clip's and as good as gary moore makes them sound you can even hear it when he uses it.
I have wanted to jump back into this thread as I want to be counted as a major supporter of George and Metropoulos since 2005 when George did the work on my HW.
A few people have impressed me in the music business and one of the greatest of these is George. What I always have said since 2005 is that George always manages to make the perfect mousetrap. This isn't easy to do. Plus he is one of the most genuine and nicest people you would care to meet.
As far as the HW specifically, George did a lot more to my amp than just substitute parts. I trusted his judgement and testing skills and went with his whole package back then. He had to clean up quite a bit of the wiring in my amp as well. He forms the filter caps and burns in your amp.
I have never had more professional work done on any amplifier than by George. As far as being a sheep style mentality, when I like something I really like it and that was the case with my Marshall post George.
I am known as a huge Gary Moore fan and I agree about the Dagnall clone sounding equal or better than Gary Moore's HW's which were stock, though obviously cherry picked for Gary, he being an endorser.
I love all the Metro builds especially the JTM 45/100 the 10000 and the 12000 series.
The new Metro-Plex is a really well executed concept the equal of any other 'boutique' amps in that category and one of the most versatile. Plus I have enjoyed this forum that George pays for since 2005 and have learned so much here and enjoy the company!
Am I biased because George has similar Marshall ears to me, well yes! George, knowing my long experience with vintage Marshalls in my past, called me to ask how I liked my HW after I got it. My opinion really mattered to him, that's superb.
I don't have any bad words to say about Metro and I am glad they have weathered the slings and arrows of the music biz.
It is often difficult to discern the differences in the clips on the computer, but live to my ears the difference from stock to Metrofied in my HW was night and day. The amp was totally opened up.
I am not blindly obedient (of great faith) to anyone other than Jesus Christ, so George is in rarefied company. Plus I always have shared on forums when I have some great gear or service, it's what I do.
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:39 am

Just to add to this thread, does anybody know if Marshall is still producing the 1959 HW??
Cheers
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wallace

Post by Wallace » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:52 am

yes :)

Friend picked one up in January this year and they are still listed on the Marshall site.
https://marshallamps.com/products/ampli ... es/1959hw/

aljaz

Post by aljaz » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:06 am

Hi, I'm new here. I own 1959 HW (2019) which I bought brand new, with the honest aim to own an reliable "100W old school" Marshall. Anyway; at the beginning the first day of playing, the channel 1 became totaly extremely trebly and unusable, lots of hum, channel 2 was OK...I returned the head, and it got replaced with another one; at first all went well, but in a few weeks the same troubles reapeared on the new head. I sent it back, they alledgedly fix the problem. Then a few months later when recording in studio again all went wrong; suddenly the clean tone went muddy, silent and fuzzy. Unusable. I went crazy; somehow it happened the total failure on one of the power tubes ( TAD tubes), the hole was melted through the glass, one of the caps was dead. I did not sent it back to vendor( I got tired with sending the 22 kg head bach to Germany) but took it to the local technician. He replaced the cap, I replaced ALL tubes with JJ. All went well for 6 months. I discovered, that one of tube sockets was even soldered. They missed it!! Well, a week ago, i played the head; all of the sudden the channel 1 went again totaly trebly, and then just full feedback. Now the head is back with the tehnician.

I use Koch attenuator 120.

What can I do? I thinking to replace stock parts with a better quallity ones. Any recommendations? What would you do?

This head is really piece of.... I'm really, really dissapointed on the Marshall factory. The head didn't come cheap. I bought new one just to avoid the troubles with used ones. I wanted to write a letter to the Marshall, but i didn't..

Aljaz

SoFa Granny

Post by SoFa Granny » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:57 am

Hei,
I know you don't wonna hear that, but use it without the attenuator, some amps don't like that.
You push it over the limits.

Dieter