NOS Tubes = HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!

Everything from original vintage Marshalls to reissues.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

NitroLiq

Post by NitroLiq » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:52 pm

Doesn't all this also depend on the circuit? I've had friends build amps (modded marshall circuits) that didn't take well to NOS tubes but sounded great with JJs.

jfhudak

Post by jfhudak » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:03 pm

NitroLiq wrote:Doesn't all this also depend on the circuit? I've had friends build amps (modded marshall circuits) that didn't take well to NOS tubes but sounded great with JJs.
Yeah, could be. I don't have enough experience with Super Leads to be able to tell you one way or the other. I can tell you that I have been pulling my hair out modding the circuit in my amp when all it needed was a new OT (to replace the crappy original - either a dog or f'ed up) and some NOS glass to make it sound right.

Then again, I'm not pushing it as hard as some guys here do. All I know is, the difference in tone is absolutely amazing with my amp.
"Es gibt nichts was es nicht gibt."

worldoftone
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by worldoftone » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:04 pm

YEAH! Welcome to my world. My BROKE WALLET WORLD!!!

:lol:

- WOT

master keeper

Post by master keeper » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:39 am

my exp is that the power tubes do play a big part in the sound too. I just changed out winged Cs for RFT in one of my amps and the difference was very clear - It got more 3D! The Cs didn't sound bad but were kinda "flat" compared to the RFT.

Same in one of my other amps (the modded RI). I tried the shuguangs in there for a while. Didn't sound bad at all, but the TESLA that I had in there before (and again shortly after) eat them for breakfast - period!!!

joshwilson3

Post by joshwilson3 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:48 am

master keeper wrote:my exp is that the power tubes do play a big part in the sound too. I just changed out winged Cs for RFT in one of my amps and the difference was very clear - It got more 3D! The Cs didn't sound bad but were kinda "flat" compared to the RFT.

Same in one of my other amps (the modded RI). I tried the shuguangs in there for a while. Didn't sound bad at all, but the TESLA that I had in there before (and again shortly after) eat them for breakfast - period!!!
'
Do you know of any good NOS 6550 tubes? I've heard there aren't any. Or if there are, they are probably not good to use.

So, I figured I'd go with Winged =C= 6550 tubes.

mightymike
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by mightymike » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:07 am

NitroLiq wrote:Doesn't all this also depend on the circuit? I've had friends build amps (modded marshall circuits) that didn't take well to NOS tubes but sounded great with JJs.
Funny you mention that. Cause I'm not a fan of JJs with the ****** 1.5 and MM 1.5 equiped amps, (I thought they were harsh), but they sound really good with those Heyboers 2" OTs George sells, becasue they are not as trebly as a 1.5.

For the longest time I wondered why George used them, becasue of the results I was getting with other trannys, but once I installed one of his 2" in an amp, I found they sound great with that tranny.

YMMV

neikeel

Re: NOS Tubes = HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by neikeel » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:44 am

novosibir wrote:
jfhudak wrote:I was thinking about Rockstah's PPIMV, but I don't know now, I might just leave it as is!
Is there something I've overlooked in this forums :roll:

Which one is that?

Larry
No one has picked up on that one yet, although I was not sure how to describe it either (Fischer? Larry's mod of Fischer??? :lol: or Larry's modified Fischer PPIMV which comes highly recommended by Rockstah :roll: )
Neil

jfhudak

Post by jfhudak » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:19 am

novosibir wrote:
jfhudak wrote:I was thinking about Rockstah's PPIMV, but I don't know now, I might just leave it as is!
Is there something I've overlooked in this forums :roll:

Which one is that?

Larry

Servus Larry -

Halt zur

Bunnest

Post by Bunnest » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:48 am

I don't know about the NOS glass, I do run the Philips 12AX7WAs in my JCM 800 with good results, and in V1 of my '69, but honestly, I am also pretty happy running GT mullard copies or even those Tung sol reissues...You should know, however, that I run pedals in the front, so that may have something to do with it...the one big difference I have noticed is that with the Mullard Power tubes, the pins fit PERFECTLY in the saddle!!! Made for each other!! But I can't find a set of Xf2s that don't make mechanical noise??? :roll:
68 Marshall JMP 100 Plexi
69 Marshall JMP 100 Plexi
71 Marshall JMP 100 Metalface
66 BF Fender Pro Reverb
67 BF Fender Super Reverb

jfhudak

Post by jfhudak » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:56 am

Bunnest wrote:I don't know about the NOS glass, I do run the Philips 12AX7WAs in my JCM 800 with good results, and in V1 of my '69, but honestly, I am also pretty happy running GT mullard copies or even those Tung sol reissues...You should know, however, that I run pedals in the front, so that may have something to do with it...the one big difference I have noticed is that with the Mullard Power tubes, the pins fit PERFECTLY in the saddle!!! Made for each other!! But I can't find a set of Xf2s that don't make mechanical noise??? :roll:
None of the stores around here have the GT Mullard copies so I haven't tried them yet. However if my experiences thus far with GT are any indication, I won't be spending my money on them any time soon.

I liked the Tung Sols as well, but I had two sets go south on me so I don't intend to spend any more coin on them either. They sounded great for about an hour, and then bought the farm. Not good.

Using pedals does make a huge difference. I didn't start noticing the deficiencies in the newer tubes until I ditched my pedals and started trying to use the amp the way it was. Then all kinds of stuff popped up, and not just the tubes but the OT, and some other weirdness in the circuit.

wdelaney72

Post by wdelaney72 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:01 pm

Tubetramp has NOS pre's that aren't that much more than GT or TungSol re-issues. These tubes:
a) sound better
b) will last 10 times longer

Both of these more than justify any higher cost. Give TT a shout. You'll get better tubes and will be entertained by the experience at the same time.

PCollen

Post by PCollen » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:41 pm

[quote="jfhudak"]Hey Fellers,

Just warmed up the 76 with the NOS pres I got from TubeTramp. . .

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I am taking every new production tube that I own to the shooting range next weekend. They SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK compared to the Sylvania and the two RCAs I'm running now!

Wow. My amp sounds VERY musical now for the first time since I've owned it. Very sweet indeed. I don't have to fight with my rig to get nice sounds now. I can nail it and get it to break up, or just lay back and still have all that nice chime that I've wanted in my Marshall since day one.

Time to get some NOS outputs!! I was thinking about Rockstah's PPIMV, but I don't know now, I might just leave it as is!

All I know, is that I'll NEVER buy another JJ or GT again. . .EVER!!!

Thank you TubeTramp! :wink:[/quote]

...but now the CRUX of the matter: WHICH NOS pre's. Here we go again...trial and error ? $$$$$$$$$.

master keeper

Post by master keeper » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:51 pm

Bullshit tubes with no life expectancy cost more! :wink:

jfhudak

Post by jfhudak » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:01 pm

PCollen wrote:
jfhudak wrote:Hey Fellers,

Just warmed up the 76 with the NOS pres I got from TubeTramp. . .

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I am taking every new production tube that I own to the shooting range next weekend. They SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK compared to the Sylvania and the two RCAs I'm running now!

Wow. My amp sounds VERY musical now for the first time since I've owned it. Very sweet indeed. I don't have to fight with my rig to get nice sounds now. I can nail it and get it to break up, or just lay back and still have all that nice chime that I've wanted in my Marshall since day one.

Time to get some NOS outputs!! I was thinking about Rockstah's PPIMV, but I don't know now, I might just leave it as is!

All I know, is that I'll NEVER buy another JJ or GT again. . .EVER!!!

Thank you TubeTramp! :wink:
...but now the CRUX of the matter: WHICH NOS pre's. Here we go again...trial and error ? $$$$$$$$$.
Everything is trial and error. I've wasted more money buying new production tubes only to be greatly disappointed than you can imagine. I bought ONE set of NOS Sylvanias and RCAs and they took my amp the rest of the way.

What works for you? Who knows. That's for you to decide. Me? I like what I hear so far, and I'll most likely experiment with others but for now I am really starting to get what I want out of this rig and the NOS tubes are a large part of that.

As to the money I spent, let's just say I would have spent close to that for some of the more expensive new production tubes, which sound like crap.

For me at least, NOS tubes are no longer just snob appeal. They really do work and sound better!

YMMV

Wicksy

Post by Wicksy » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:21 pm

Yeah man, i remember hearing the real difference getting some good old glass in my 18 watter. Gone was the flubby, farting bass and grating overdrive. It was replaced with tight, dynamic tone 8) Thats the reason i've spent
Simon