All Right Now with Metro 45/100

Share your YouTube videos or upload your mp3's.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

All Right Now with Metro 45/100

Post by VelvetGeorge » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:56 pm

I started working on this ages ago and I finally got Dan to stop by the shop to put vocals and piano down. I mixed it with the guitars up front, for obvious reasons.

Fido played drums- Roland V drums triggering BFD 2. Rob (the panel and T shirt guy) played bass- '78 P bass through tube DI and reamped through SVT.

I played the '56 LP with P90's on the left and my Standard with T tops on the right. Both through the 45/100 replica, but with different micing. I'll have to check my notes for specifics, I tracked it months ago.
But I'm sure the right part was a 57 and Royer R122 blended together.

http://www.savefile.com/files/1456696" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll get this loaded on my own server and a direct link posted next week.

Enjoy!

george
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:16 pm

Do you have to register to hear it? (Or click on the "free smileys" pop-up that comes along with it?)

Where's that JTM45 ya bum? :D

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:39 pm

I'm not sure, that savefile site sucks. Here's the song on soundclick.com:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=785710

EDIT: holy shit, the lo fi and hifi version on this site are god awful. Please download the file to hear it as I intended.

JTM 45 will go out this week. Fido will be back so I can get back on track (as if I ever was...)

VG

Wicksy

Post by Wicksy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:17 pm

Hey George, that sounds nice! What settings did you use for that tone? I always thought i got pretty close with the bass turned right down.

Also, what chord do you (or anyone for that matter) use for the intro/verse riff? I used to use the modified A chord:

Code: Select all

E--5--
B--2--
G--2--
D--2--
A--0--
e--x--
But watching the Free DVD plus various Youtube clips, Kossoff plays the A chord differently. He seems to swing his pinky up to fret the 5th fret of the bottom E thus:

E--0--
B--2--
G--2--
D--2--
A--x--
e--5--
I've tried it like this and it seems closer to the sound on the videos but thats only with a crappy Vox Amplug. Got to wait for the neigbours to bugger off so i can crank the proper amps :roll:

I tell you what though, it was hard enough for me to get the riff right the first tiem i learned it. I now have to start from scratch again to get all the finger placements correct. It feels a lot more classical guitar than i was playing before as i am trying to copy exactly how Kossoff did it!
Simon

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:44 pm

VelvetGeorge wrote:JTM 45 will go out this week. Fido will be back so I can get back on track (as if I ever was...)

VG
No problem, just send the '56 Goldtop RI for my mental suffering. :twisted:

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:27 pm

Good idea Wicksy, I didn't even think to watch the vids to see how he was playing stuff.
I just panned left or right and tried to get the right notes and feel. I wish I had Kossoff's feel, tone, vibrato etc. Hell, I'd settled for any one of the three. He had soooo much soul.

george

rockstah
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by rockstah » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:55 pm

this kicks ass in all aspects! well done. ;)

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:12 am

Thanks Mark! When I get some VH backing tracks recorded, can I send them to you for guitar parts?

george

rockstah
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by rockstah » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:16 am

i would give it go for sure!. :D

45auto

Post by 45auto » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:05 pm

very nice gentlemen! great job on the vocals too.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=559714" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/ ... t=1980.flv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wicksy

Post by Wicksy » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:07 pm

VelvetGeorge wrote:Good idea Wicksy, I didn't even think to watch the vids to see how he was playing stuff.
I just panned left or right and tried to get the right notes and feel. I wish I had Kossoff's feel, tone, vibrato etc. Hell, I'd settled for any one of the three. He had soooo much soul.

george
Yeah man, i sit at home watching the Free DVD and it just makes me want to practise. I guess many would say his technique is simple but the feeling in there is awesome. I have to watch that DVD though, it makes me sad that Koss died so young.
Simon

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:44 am

Wicksy wrote:Hey George, that sounds nice! What settings did you use for that tone? I always thought i got pretty close with the bass turned right down.

Also, what chord do you (or anyone for that matter) use for the intro/verse riff? I used to use the modified A chord:

E--5--
B--2--
G--2--
D--2--
A--0--
e--x--
But watching the Free DVD plus various Youtube clips, Kossoff plays the A chord differently. He seems to swing his pinky up to fret the 5th fret of the bottom E thus:

E--0--
B--2--
G--2--
D--2--
A--x--
e--5--
I've tried it like this and it seems closer to the sound on the videos but thats only with a crappy Vox Amplug. Got to wait for the neigbours to bugger off so i can crank the proper amps :roll:

I tell you what though, it was hard enough for me to get the riff right the first tiem i learned it. I now have to start from scratch again to get all the finger placements correct. It feels a lot more classical guitar than i was playing before as i am trying to copy exactly how Kossoff did it!
You're right about the classical guitar... Koss started out with classical lessons on a gut string guitar, he was fond of those open string chord voicings.

Great track George!

A studio player here in town, with great ears, told me once the key to that riff is the doubletracked guitars, Koss is blending two very different guitar tones and two chord voicings together to get that sound. It's hard to pull it off live and make it sound right. In the "Free Forever" DVD, Koss plays the riff in various positions (which gives up a nice clue on how to double track the riff in the studio) and the solos are so cool... like a true bluesman, he never played it the same way twice.

Hey... I'm a "Marshall Maven" now... woohoo!! :D
Achieve the Possible!

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:02 pm

UPDATE: I half ass mastered this track myself and added some punch in the mids.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music

VG

electricskychurch

Post by electricskychurch » Thu May 01, 2008 10:04 am

yes, the guitars sound nice and the singer makes me think a bit about Steve Marriot, the Small faces and Humble pie singer.

i have a demo i did of that song (with a les paul 59 ri' / seth lover pu's and 74' 50 watt lead ) but when i went to soundclick to upload it and read the agreement, i saw you have to be the owner of the songs you upload (your own songs ), so i'd prefer to avoid any possible problem with them or Free's Major (Island records) , as i'm not sure the rights are in the public domain ! LOL

Facetious11

Post by Facetious11 » Fri May 16, 2008 6:15 pm

Wicksy wrote:Hey George, that sounds nice! What settings did you use for that tone? I always thought i got pretty close with the bass turned right down.

E--5--
B--2--
G--2--
D--2--
A--0--
e--x--

E--0--
B--2--
G--2--
D--2--
A--x--
e--5--

He does on some parts use the modified a with the pinkey at the 5th frets on the 2 high strings. I have the Hal leonard "The Best of FREE" songbook and i recently learned allright now. It has the best tab for the song i have heard. In the recorded version from the album there are two guitars, and during the verse Kossoff alternates between them, Regular A at the beginning of the measure, modified (A5, I think) at the end. Any way GREAT CLIP GEORGE, I will be purchasing a kit soon, I just gotta decide which one to pick. A 15 year old bedroom jammer doesnt need 100 watts, but I sure do want it :D.