'68 100w with Scumback loaded 4x12

Share your YouTube videos or upload your mp3's.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Roadrunner

'68 100w with Scumback loaded 4x12

Post by Roadrunner » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:48 pm

Fellow forum member "Swankmotee" dropped by last night. I recorded this little jam of him using my '68 100 Super Lead and a '69 slant cab with 4 Scumback M55's in it. I LOVE these speakers :rock:

The guitar's (Swank's '03 R9) plugged straight into the amp. The left side is dry, the right has a bit of reverb.

Enjoy! :toast:
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10178305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Achieve the Possible!

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: '68 100w with Scumback loaded 4x12

Post by Scumback Speakers » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:39 pm

Holy crap, that sounds farking great! I'm going to need that soundfile to put on the new site. Can I download it from the net, or do you need to send it to me? Nice!

EDIT: Never mind, figured out how to donwload it!
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:33 pm

Hey Jim:

Did you get it? I was gonna send it to you but I figured you already had something better.

That cab, with those speakers, is THE best tone I've ever heard. Your speakers are just KILLER, the best of the best! :rock:

Thanks for the tone man! :toast:

Gary B.
Nashville, TN
Achieve the Possible!

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:56 pm

Glad you liked that Jim Bob because as with all things recorded no matter what you use it never quite captures just how BADASS that rig sounds in the flesh!LOL! These speaks really sound dead on righteous and I was really jonesin' on how great my plank was sounding through them! I really can't compliment you and your accomplice enough on how great a job you did on recreating these classic speakers but Gary and I both love em' just as much as our originals so I guess that sums up where we stand on the issue. You RAWK and keep pumpin' out the jams and send us one of those tall stack cabs to play with sometime! :thumbsup: :rock:

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:09 pm

swankmotee wrote:Glad you liked that Jim Bob because as with all things recorded no matter what you use it never quite captures just how BADASS that rig sounds in the flesh!LOL! These speaks really sound dead on righteous and I was really jonesin' on how great my plank was sounding through them! I really can't compliment you and your accomplice enough on how great a job you did on recreating these classic speakers but Gary and I both love em' just as much as our originals so I guess that sums up where we stand on the issue. You RAWK and keep pumpin' out the jams and send us one of those tall stack cabs to play with sometime! :thumbsup: :rock:

+1... couldn't have put it better my own self :toast:
Achieve the Possible!

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:12 pm

That clip has no eq, compression or processing other than adding a little ambiance to the right side, the left is totally dry. If I ran that thing thru an old compressor like an LA2A, squashed the hell out of it, and eq'd it a bit to take the boom out of the bottom... it would be spot on first record ZZ.
I imagine the actual sounds going on in the studio, when Billy recorded the first record, were probably dead on close to what we were hearing last night.
Achieve the Possible!

908ssp
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by 908ssp » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:13 pm

If I didn't have my four original m55s right here I swear you stole them. I love the sound of those. Try a treble booster you'll be shocked at how great that sounds too.

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:36 pm

908ssp wrote:If I didn't have my four original m55s right here I swear you stole them. I love the sound of those. Try a treble booster you'll be shocked at how great that sounds too.
Yeah my personal preference would be to use just a hint of boost from something like my Throbak Overdrive/boost,Tim, or the Klon but it sounds damned fine without too!

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:16 pm

You bastids have ruined my recording session on Sunday with Pete Thorn, yes you have!

I dropped off a Les Paul at my luthier's shop today with a set of Throbak SLE 101 Ltd plus pickups to be put in.

Then I'm getting all kinds of stupid...

Two 4x12 cabs, with one of each of my speakers in the low power versions...and I'll be bringing a Strat, my 71 Super Lead, the Koncorde clone, the Gibson Super Goldtone (quad el84 amp), and whatever Pete's thinking of bringing.

We're micing all 8 speakers at once with 8 mics/mic pres, and dialing in mixes for people who always wondered what they sound like.

But the SL wasn't going until I heard your clip...you rat bastids! Thanks for making me think! :lol:
310-833-6632

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:21 pm

Scumback Speakers wrote:You bastids have ruined my recording session on Sunday with Pete Thorn, yes you have!

I dropped off a Les Paul at my luthier's shop today with a set of Throbak SLE 101 Ltd plus pickups to be put in.

Two 4x12 cabs, with one of each of my speakers in the low power versions...and I'll be bringing a Strat, my 71 Super Lead, the Koncorde clone, the Gibson Super Goldtone (quad el84 amp), and whatever Pete's thinking of bringing.

We're micing all 8 speakers at once with 8 mics/mic pres, and dialing in mixes for people who always wondered what they sound like.

But the SL wasn't going until I heard your clip...you rat bastids! Thanks for making me think! :lol:
HEY MAN,I would have done it for cheap man and I've already got all the vintage wood!!!!! Let me & Gary know and we'll get you some more clips! :rocker:

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:39 pm

Scumback Speakers wrote:You bastids have ruined my recording session on Sunday with Pete Thorn, yes you have!

We like to pull out a bunch of 100 watt amps, play 'em until our ears are bleeding :stars: ... then plug in a 50 watt amp of some variety and after a minute or so, both of us usually look at each other and say, "nah, that ain't it." :shrug:

It's just not a recording session until you plug in the S/L. Sounds like fun Jim... enjoy! :toast:
Achieve the Possible!

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:14 am

Hee hee. If I hadn't already set this up with Pete Thorn and a recording studio here in town, I might take you up on your offer.

But just so you know now nuts I am... I'm bringing the 59 Junior now, too.

You two rat bastids are a bad influence! :lol:
310-833-6632

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:20 am

Scumback Speakers wrote:Hee hee. If I hadn't already set this up with Pete Thorn and a recording studio here in town, I might take you up on your offer.

But just so you know now nuts I am... I'm bringing the 59 Junior now, too.

You two rat bastids are a bad influence! :lol:
Truly honored to be your Rat bastids or conversation beeatches! :thumbsup:

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:41 am

swankmotee wrote:Truly honored to be your Rat bastids or conversation beeatches! :thumbsup:
:lol: Hell, that might come back to haunt you, sir! :wink:
310-833-6632

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:35 pm

Scumback Speakers wrote:
swankmotee wrote:Truly honored to be your Rat bastids or conversation beeatches! :thumbsup:
:lol: Hell, that might come back to haunt you, sir! :wink:

Yeah, he's on his own with that one, lol! :palm:
Achieve the Possible!