12 Series plexi sound clips

Share your YouTube videos or upload your mp3's.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

bjm007

Post by bjm007 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:30 pm

Here's a cool list of what was done where...

http://www.sunsetsound.com/history/history3.html
Last edited by bjm007 on Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funk49

Post by funk49 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:33 pm

Damn, no flying faders going on there. That's as raw as it gets. Wow, if that board could talk, can you imagine the stories it would tell!

I would buy that board in a NY minute, purely for the nostalgia. Sick picture....thanks for the post.

texwest

Post by texwest » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:31 pm

I'm no expert about eddie history, but wasn't there another thread where some guys were saying that eddie used two 12h30's and two jbl's. Aren't the old jbl's noted for their high end and clarity? Still kind of curious about that.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:46 pm

I hate to be the bad guy but I was not impressed with the sound clips of the Metro 12-series. I was more impressed with the "Unchained" clip from Vic at MAW than the Metro "Unchained" clip. What was wrong because I have heard nothing but good things about the Metro 12000 ??

OnTheFritz

Post by OnTheFritz » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:59 pm

it's cause you're not logged in! :wink:

BrownSound1
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by BrownSound1 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:48 pm

From what I understand Vic uses the EVH tone as the measuring stick for all of his amps. George just tries to make his amps the most accurate Marshall replicas around...big difference. Especially when you consider that EVH's amp may or may not be stock.
Why is it we can remember where all the wires go, but can never find a pick?

Bluesbishop

Post by Bluesbishop » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:17 am

I'm gonna duck before I get Flamed... :shock:

Normally, I LOVE the sound of George's amps, In fact his new '67.... I think it may be the sweetest sounding amp ever.:lol: :lol: .BUT..I just don't hear it in this amp, too muddy, not enough clarity, but yet still not getting the proper gain.
(hiding for my life now :shock: :roll: :oops: :shock: )

I've heard better gain and clarity from VHolics unmodded Plexi RI..George maybe try this with a Eddie style guitar...May improve, but right now, Im just not impressed, sorry george :cry:

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:30 am

Brownsound hit right on it. I agree totally. Vics amps are not 100% accurate marshalls. They are very close in almost every way to a metal face Super Lead but use different types of components (on purpose) and an extra preamp tube to run each input stage in a paralleled set of triodes. Im sure they sound like a marshall however they are shooting for a very specific sound whereas Metro is not trying for any specific sound accept accurate to different stock marshalls in every detail. I agree with you totally about these evh clips but I still believe that these amps have the potential to do it much better. Im not much for evh and my evh type playing wont be perfect but Ill try and make some clips of my older clone which, though not a real metro, still uses about all the same parts. I was on an evh kick for a few weeks (it is fun to bash away by yourself whether your into the tone or not ;) ) a while ago and I think my amp gets extremely close. Doesnt everybody :) Ill see if I can get some up tomorrow but Im not making any promises :x That clone has filtering very similar to the magic marshall recipe and switchable brigh caps, split/share, and 3 values for the V2a Ck.

MARCO

Post by MARCO » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:09 am

(I hate to be the bad guy but I was not impressed with the sound clips of the Metro 12-series. I was more impressed with the "Unchained" clip from Vic at MAW than the Metro "Unchained" clip. What was wrong because I have heard nothing but good things about the Metro 12000 ?)
Hi Guys,
That was me. I am new to this board but a long time member on the Plexi Palace and Gear Page board. I am not knocking the Metro Amp, I just want that particular EVH tone w/o having to tweak the hell out of the amp. Let the damn amp maker do it. I was thrown off by the clips because it does not sound like EVH at all. Like I said on the other boards, Ralle 500 HAS the tone and I want that tone. I have everything else in place as far as speakers, f/x, guitars etc. I need the amp to do what I want it to do.
MARC34

bjm007

Post by bjm007 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:20 am

Anonymous wrote:I hate to be the bad guy but I was not impressed with the sound clips of the Metro 12-series. I was more impressed with the "Unchained" clip from Vic at MAW than the Metro "Unchained" clip. What was wrong because I have heard nothing but good things about the Metro 12000 ??
Ah, yee of little faith, Mr. "Guest"..... Give the man some time...

1) This is a brand new amp that hasn't even been burned in yet.

2) It hasn't been dialed in to the point when George is ready to let it out the door...

3) It was built by a guy who's had no sleep for the entire holiday while the rest of us have been sitting around eating and drinking too much and sitting on our asses...

4) It's being recorded on a pretty simple setup which most of us don't know anything about...

Compared to some of the other builders, who spend as much time PERFECTING their demo recordings as they do building their amps, George is doing us a favor to let us hear a "teaser" clip or two in order to get a rough idea of how these amps will sound. I think it's a bit premature to jump to ANY conclusions about how these amps will really perform.

Give it some time. George has great ears and excellent skills. When these amps leave his shop, he will make sure they sound like they should. He has very high standards.

When some of the buyers of this first generation of 12000's get their amps, I'm sure we will hear some posts which do justice to what they really do sound like.

Once you've heard those clips, then you can give your opinion based on having REALLY heard the amp.......

Until then, you might want to give the man some time to finish his creations in peace.......

MARCO

Post by MARCO » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:36 am

To bjm007:
I agree 100%. I think George makes some great stuff and like I said, have heard nothing but excellent things about his work/amps/etc. That being said, when I heard the clips, I was disappointed. In particular, I think Vic at Plexi Palace falls into the same category when it comes to amp building, cabs, workmanship etc. but his clips were very close to that tone. I was comparing the difference(s) in tone between the 2 clips. I have all the time & money in the world right now which is why I am not going to get one amp or the other tomorrow....I want to make the right decision and not jump to conclusions.
MARC34

purple

Post by purple » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:30 am

the clips are really good, but a lot of people are bored with the brown sound
, Let's go for a few other clips in different style so a lot of people will be interrested..
the brownsound is good for the VH things and white lion stuff
(oh great it was !!) but u can anything else :lol:
and if i must play only one sound i will prefer the hendrix sound 8)

novosibir
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by novosibir » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:39 am

MARCO wrote:I was more impressed with the "Unchained" clip from Vic at MAW than the Metro "Unchained" clip.
Can somebody shed some light on that, what's laying in the dark for me?

Who is "Vic"? And what is "MAW"?

Thanks, Larry
The fault almost always is sitting in front of the amp :wink:

Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:56 am

novosibir wrote:
MARCO wrote:I was more impressed with the "Unchained" clip from Vic at MAW than the Metro "Unchained" clip.
Can somebody shed some light on that, what's laying in the dark for me?

Who is "Vic"? And what is "MAW"?

Thanks, Larry
Vic runs Mojave Amp Works....and the PlexiPalace forum......

novosibir
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by novosibir » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:03 am

Then he's obviously playing one of these (in my ears) rough-edged sounding Peacemakers, the amp with the four preamp tubes!?

Thanks for the info!

Larry
The fault almost always is sitting in front of the amp :wink:

Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery