Metroamp '67 100 watt replica sound clips

Share your YouTube videos or upload your mp3's.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

User avatar
Star*Guitar
Senior Member
Posts: 1572
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:48 am
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Star*Guitar » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:35 am

A has more power...more edge...

B is smoother...rounder sounding.

this is a hard one...both are to die for.....

Lets see...a hard choice. One could argue the second is the real 67 because the smoothness could be a result of the well broken in caps. .......

But then again the first could be the real Plexi because of the sheer in your face power.......like Ed's amp.

I'd have to say....the real 67 is the first one only because of that...Those tranny's just had something...an extra push for lack of better description.

But I am the only one voting this way here...LOL...so I am probably out in left field. You guys are so much better then I at circuits. But I have to trust my own ears/logic here as off as they may be. :?
Star*Guitar

clarkydaz
Senior Member
Posts: 505
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:15 am

Post by clarkydaz » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:54 am

NitroLiq wrote:
novosibir wrote:A = the replica '67
B = the 'real' '67
That's what I'm thinking also.
hell , i'll be the first one to officially go against the grain and say the 1st is the real deal, 2nd the replica. if that first clip isnt the one with mullards in it...i'll gig with my line 6 pod

NitroLiq
Senior Member
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:58 am
Location: NYC

Post by NitroLiq » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:46 am

Star*Guitar wrote:A has more power...more edge...
B is smoother...rounder sounding.
Weird, I really thought the opposite. B sounded rawer and more powerful to me.

tWreCK
Senior Member
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:22 pm
Location: Sweden

Post by tWreCK » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:49 am

I'll go with A as the real '67 & B as the replica because of it's smoothness.........

Hey George - could you update the 12000 series clips as well with the Neve pre clone and Royer setup?

User avatar
Lou
Senior Member
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:07 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Post by Lou » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:03 am

Dude that Royer really captures the Cab very well. Thanks for the detailed explination of how you recorded the session as it helps me to guage the true sound of what you recorded.

The Clips sound really great man. Are you still Royer Geeked and miking everything you possibly can? (Honey can you say that again? I need to trim the level on the input) Driving your girl crazy like I do my wife with my studio and amp gear all the time...

Anyhow....

A= Real
B= Metro
Lou
Toronto Canada
Metro 1959 X 2; Metro 1987 x 2 ; Metro JTM45; Metro '68 12xxx x 2;Metro 412 Slant 12M Heritage
1980 Gibson Heritage Elite WCR Pickups; 1980 JVSquire Strat; G&L Legacy ; Metro 412 Slant G12M Heritage
www.houseofnot.com

User avatar
NY Chief
Wiki Editor
Posts: 6589
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:02 pm
Location: SoCal

Post by NY Chief » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:23 pm

my 2c

A = Metro
B = Vintage '67

I'm not gonna say "real" because they both are REAL(ly fuckin awesome!!!)
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

User avatar
NY Chief
Wiki Editor
Posts: 6589
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:02 pm
Location: SoCal

Post by NY Chief » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:25 pm

and, P.S.

Great playing, George. How the hell do you keep your chops up with the all other stuff you got going on?
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

awangotango
Senior Member
Posts: 1277
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:17 pm
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by awangotango » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:02 pm

Is the OPT a 2" drake? on the original amp and what about the clone? 2" as well? brand?

User avatar
Flames1950
Senior Member
Posts: 9294
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:04 am
Location: Waukee, Iowa

Post by Flames1950 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:19 pm

I'm kinda with the A=original '67 and B=replica '67 too, although frankly listening on my laptop speakers is no way to judge good tone. I'll re-listen on good speakers tomorrow if I can and see if I still feel that way.
Image

User avatar
VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Posts: 7216
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:12 pm
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: The Murder Mitten
Contact:

Post by VelvetGeorge » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:15 am

Keep the guesses coming! And if you can't wait to find out the truth, the clips are posted on the '67 page of the main site. Please don't give it away in the thread, though.


The real one has a very early Dagnall OT. It even has parallel winds for the 16 ohm tap. I wired in a 2" Heyboer when I was listening to the replicas. Just to compare apples to apples.

The replica has the stock Heyboer 2" Drake style OT. They really got that one right. I recall Brian Wallace agreeing about this OT being accurate.

It is a bit different in the lows compared to my Dagnall. And does seem to saturate differently. But the differences are lessened with the amps dimed.


george
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...
Image

User avatar
Flames1950
Senior Member
Posts: 9294
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:04 am
Location: Waukee, Iowa

Post by Flames1950 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:44 am

VelvetGeorge wrote:Keep the guesses coming! And if you can't wait to find out the truth, the clips are posted on the '67 page of the main site. Please don't give it away in the thread, though.
george
Patience is a virtue, and no one ever accused me of being virtuous (is that a word?) :roll:
Image

User avatar
Guitar Adjuster
Senior Member
Posts: 1560
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:34 pm
Location: San Antonio

Post by Guitar Adjuster » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:30 pm

A is the clone
B is the real deal

Both sound fantastic!!!!

shakti
Senior Member
Posts: 2005
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:06 am
Just the numbers in order: 7
Location: Ramnes, Norway

Post by shakti » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:59 am

Yup, A=replica, B=original.

I hear some more "togetherness" in the B, which kind of tells me it's more broken in. I do prefer it by a hair, but I've found you really need to play an amp in person to "feel" how it responds. Soundclips only go so far...

However, having NOS Mullards in one and current production in the other is *far* from a fair comparison, IMHO....
Last edited by shakti on Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shakti
Senior Member
Posts: 2005
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:06 am
Just the numbers in order: 7
Location: Ramnes, Norway

Post by shakti » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:02 pm

VelvetGeorge wrote:
The real one has a very early Dagnall OT. It even has parallel winds for the 16 ohm tap. I wired in a 2" Heyboer when I was listening to the replicas. Just to compare apples to apples.

The replica has the stock Heyboer 2" Drake style OT. They really got that one right. I recall Brian Wallace agreeing about this OT being accurate.


george
Ooops, didn't see that until now...that makes it much more difficult yet again. I'd have to give it another listen...

User avatar
novosibir
Senior Member
Posts: 4624
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:32 pm
Just the numbers in order: 7
Location: Nuernberg, Germany
Contact:

Post by novosibir » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:48 pm

shakti wrote:However, having NOS Mullards in one and current production in the other is *far* from a fair comparison, IMHO....
+1

Larry
The fault almost always is sitting in front of the amp :wink:

Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery

Post Reply