Jeff Beck

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

MacGaden
Wiki Editor
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Jeff Beck

Post by MacGaden » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:21 am

NY Chief wrote:The guys who play guitar that don't get Beck are NOT guitar players (more like fukin trolls). And that goes for the myopic Van Halen dick suckers especially. Yeah I said it.
You have a great future in diplomacy behind you, Chief... :wink:
MacG.

"Play it right, Dad ! No More Dwiddely Dwiddely !
My son Adam at 3 years old. Best advice I ever got..

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:03 pm

:whistle:

Yeah, it just bugs me that JB doesn't get his deserved appreciation when everybody is losing sleep over how many turns of what gauge wire is in the NON working coil in Ed's magic PAF :worthy: . Ed couldn't even shine JB's shoes mechanically. Beck builds Hot Rod's from the ground up. Ed couldn't even figure out how to wire the switch in Franky. BTW, I'm sure you know Mac that JB built his first guitar from scratch as well. (No one to get a bolt together second body and neck from in England at the time...)
:D
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:04 am

Yeah, some seem to think Rock guitar started with EVH, WRONG.

Beck, Blackmore, Hendrix, Page, Townshend and even EC who I'm not a great fan of etc etc, MADE Rock guitar and before that it was Les Paul and Rockabilly and the Blues and it's no accident that all the players above acknowledge Les Paul and Rockabilly and the Blues made them pick up a guitar.

EVH knew all about these players and they are in EVH's way of playing but some of EVH's clones don't seem to, I don't know why, some seem to have tunnel vision and only have eyes and ears for EVH and that's the way it goes.

I read an interview with Dave Davies who was sort of pissed off that some VH fans thought the Kinks were covering a VH song when the Kinks were touring in the 80s.

Dave Davies gets hardly any credit but YRGM and Dave's guitar riffs were groundbreaking in the early 60s.
"When your swinging, Swing some MORE" ~Monk

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:30 pm

Right on all counts, leadguy! Damn kids.... :wink:

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Did J
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Did J » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:19 pm

NY Chief... It was the Grand Final last night the 1st of July, Jeff was in Paris at Le Grand Rex Theatre for the last date of his european tour.
3 words: Merci Monsieur Beck ! :clap:
He was on stage for 1h45, playing for instance Hammerhead with Wah pedal, or the black Gibson for an homage to Les Paul, with his classical Marshalls (cabs weren't miked).
Here is a video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BTy7PcXr2o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What to say... "+1000 Jeff!"....

Did J

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:05 pm

:rock: :thumbsup: :worthy:

I usually feel like this after a JB show... :stars:

and this... :bang:

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:10 am

NY Chief wrote:I usually feel like this after a JB show... :stars:

and this... :bang:
And sometimes like THIS, Ill bet...

:lol: :lol:

ScienceFriction

Post by ScienceFriction » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:00 pm

I wonder if someone can help me out. I've been having a hard time figuring out what Marshall amp Jeff Beck used in the 60s with the Jeff Beck Group. I've heard he liked JMP 50s, and that he owned a 1986 model, but did he actually use a JMP 50 1986 or did he use a JMP 50 1987? Thanks, sorry if this has been covered.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:28 pm

In the late '60's I'm sure Beck used a 100 watt 1959 'Super Lead' Marshall.

I like JB's 'alternative' take on things, but in reality, lots of folks dont have 'step one' under thier belts. This means that 'step 2' and step 3' arent very interesting to them. PRIMAL instinct is what most people register.

EVH (as well as 'ol Pagey) have this primal quality that easily relates to people.

I'm not knocking Beck, just saying that he speaks a 'HEAVY ACCENT' on a STRAIGHT FOWARD language.

I think that the melody in 'DIAMOND DUST' is as good as it gets.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

ScienceFriction

Post by ScienceFriction » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:05 am

Thanks! I didn't know for sure, but his sound was pretty aggressive during that era. Jeff Beck definitely speaks guitar differently than other rock guitarists, but I can listen to anything he's done and it still blows my mind.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:55 pm

Get current gear straight from his tech's here -

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/tonefre ... -gear.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JB was always known for using 50 watters in the early days (AC30's of course with the Yardbirds)

Good info here as well -

http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-plays-w ... -equipment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.guitartoneoverload.com/2010/ ... jeff-beck/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But let's face fellers we all know JB sounds like JB through ANY gear :(

Filly, LOVE that bonfire pic. I've been "this" close all to often!

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:28 am

What Jeff can do on a Tele isn't that different to what he can do on a Strat with a bar.

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:22 am

leadguy wrote:What Jeff can do on a Tele isn't that different to what he can do on a Strat with a bar.
Well.......come on?! There are many things he does with the bar that cannot be emulated on a Tele! I understand what you're trying to say but physically some techniques just aint gonna happen ya know! He is definitely a master of whatever he picks up to play!

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:27 am

A Strat and Tele aren't going to be totally the same but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsfL6ATX1i4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

T.J.Fuller
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by T.J.Fuller » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:28 pm

I had to go thru 26 pages of post to make sure I didn't throw something out there about Jeff Beck that has already been discussed in detail.

But, every couple of months I like to pick a random artist and really listen to thier body of work , mainly for songwriting ideas.

This last week I have listened to almost everything recorded by Stanley Clarke.

What I didn't know is...How much Jeff Beck played on his albums and that there is some bootlegs ( Clarke/Beck) from Japan Live that will blow you away!!!!!

Jeff Beck's intro solo on the tune School Days sure knocked the door open for EVH !!...awesome stuff...cant believe Im just finding it !!

This guy on You Tube that has 438 SUPERIOR QUALITY bootlegs of Beck/ Clarke - Queen - Zepplin - Beck / Jan Hammer , Rainbow, the WHO

Here is a Link to a cool Clarke/Beck LIVE tune from 1978 - from his bootleg collection

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqJw4GP9lEE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check out this guys youtube channel and other bootlegs, incredible and I have been burning CD's off YouTube for days !!

Jeff Beck ...man..... :worthy: total badass during that Jan Hammer era......and he still is badass!
"In search of World Class Tone"
Clips - http://www.soundclick.com/tjfuller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/tjfullerproject" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;