Eric Clapton

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

OnTheFritz

Post by OnTheFritz » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:56 am

NY Chief wrote: Jimi was invited up after a few songs and went into Killing Floor I think. After a few bars Clapton put his guitar down and went back stage. Chandler thinking Clapton was pissed found him shaking with a cigarette looking for a match. Clapton said to Chandler "That fucking guy is GREAT!!!!!"
Stuff like this is so cool to read, as opposed to the negative crap that so many gravitate towards.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down' " - Bob Newhart

MacGaden
Wiki Editor
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by MacGaden » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:48 am

OnTheFritz wrote:
NY Chief wrote: Jimi was invited up after a few songs and went into Killing Floor I think. After a few bars Clapton put his guitar down and went back stage. Chandler thinking Clapton was pissed found him shaking with a cigarette looking for a match. Clapton said to Chandler "That fucking guy is GREAT!!!!!"
Stuff like this is so cool to read, as opposed to the negative crap that so many gravitate towards.
Clapton has always been good at giving credit where it
MacG.

"Play it right, Dad ! No More Dwiddely Dwiddely !
My son Adam at 3 years old. Best advice I ever got..

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:28 pm

[quote="MacGaden"][

And the classic: Townshend and Clapton going into a club in London where Jimi was playing, and meeting Beck on the way out: "Is he that bad ? NO! He
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

redozzman

Post by redozzman » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:05 pm

I always loved this interview with Jeff Beck regarding Jimi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVBf-N4s ... re=related

redozzman

Post by redozzman » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:12 pm

One other thing, I am in the process of reading the clapton book, and there is a story Clapton tells while he was still in the Blues Breaker He and a few ban mates took off on a road trip and ended up in Greece playing some hotel. The owner was a Mobster and when the house band lost of few members who had died in a car crash, the owner forced Clapton into service with the House Band. The Mobster told Clapton that he would cut off his hands if he tried to leave. Clapton said that he showed up for rehersal then bolted as soon as it was over leaving behind a Lespaul and Marshall amp, Do you think that Les Paul and Marhsall were the ones used on the Blues Breaker Album.

mayrandp

Post by mayrandp » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:05 pm

In the book 'Strange Brew: Eric Clapton & The British Blues Bloom' it is related that Clapton left his Marshall amp (which I believe was a JTM45 top with a 4x12 cab) behind in Greece but took his prized Les Paul with him (that particular LP was stolen at the end of July 1966 during a Cream rehearsal). That trip to Greece pre-date the recording of the Beano album so I don't think it was the amp that we heard on the album. Clapton supposedly bought a Marshall 1962 'Bluesbreaker' combo after coming back from Greece and used it for the recording of the Beano album. But the amp that he left behind might be the one heard on recordings made before that trip (e.g. 'Telephone Blues').

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:13 pm

I was under the impression that Marshall built the combo for Clapton who hung out at Marshall's shop and asked Jim to build a small amp that would fit in the "boot" (trunk) of his car. The rest is history?

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

908ssp

Post by 908ssp » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:13 pm

mayrandp wrote:In the book 'Strange Brew: Eric Clapton & The British Blues Bloom' it is related that Clapton left his Marshall amp (which I believe was a JTM45 top with a 4x12 cab) behind in Greece but took his prized Les Paul with him (that particular LP was stolen at the end of July 1966 during a Cream rehearsal). That trip to Greece pre-date the recording of the Beano album so I don't think it was the amp that we heard on the album. Clapton supposedly bought a Marshall 1962 'Bluesbreaker' combo after coming back from Greece and used it for the recording of the Beano album. But the amp that he left behind might be the one heard on recordings made before that trip (e.g. 'Telephone Blues').
I think this is the correct story except the head/cab part I read a series I combo. I have read this recounting in a number of different places. Including the History of Marshall book. Eric got one of the first Series II JTM 45 tremolo combos, still had Alnicos in it. It wasn't till much later that is became know as a Bluesbreaker amp.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:01 pm

908ssp wrote:
mayrandp wrote:In the book 'Strange Brew: Eric Clapton & The British Blues Bloom' it is related that Clapton left his Marshall amp (which I believe was a JTM45 top with a 4x12 cab) behind in Greece but took his prized Les Paul with him (that particular LP was stolen at the end of July 1966 during a Cream rehearsal). That trip to Greece pre-date the recording of the Beano album so I don't think it was the amp that we heard on the album. Clapton supposedly bought a Marshall 1962 'Bluesbreaker' combo after coming back from Greece and used it for the recording of the Beano album. But the amp that he left behind might be the one heard on recordings made before that trip (e.g. 'Telephone Blues').
I think this is the correct story except the head/cab part I read a series I combo. I have read this recounting in a number of different places. Including the History of Marshall book. Eric got one of the first Series II JTM 45 tremolo combos, still had Alnicos in it. It wasn't till much later that is became know as a Bluesbreaker amp.
That sounds right. Marshall never called it the Bluesbreaker until it was re-issued. It got that "underground" name from the Mayall Beano LP.

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

MacGaden
Wiki Editor

Post by MacGaden » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:28 pm

908ssp wrote:
If I could find my scanner I
MacG.

"Play it right, Dad ! No More Dwiddely Dwiddely !
My son Adam at 3 years old. Best advice I ever got..

mayrandp

Post by mayrandp » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:25 pm

MacGaden is right about the pics of the JTM45 half-stack.

But there's something that's intriguing me. From what I gather, Jim Marshall credits Clapton for the idea of a Marshall combo but the model 1962 was introduced before Clapton was with John Mayall(!?). There's 2 series of those combos. The second series is bit smaller than the first series. Maybe Clapton didn't ask for a combo version of a JTM45 but for a smaller version of the model 1962 so it could fit in the trunk of his car, hence the second series?

I'm just speculating here.

leadguy

Re: Eric Clapton

Post by leadguy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:24 am

David Sanborn, my main dude for blues playing smokes on Little Wing with Altissimo (high notes) trills and Clapton good naturedly gives up trying to match Sanborn in the solo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6F2qExL ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"When your swinging, Swing some MORE" ~Monk

yngwie308

Re:

Post by yngwie308 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:08 am

MacGaden wrote:
OnTheFritz wrote:
Clapton has always been good at giving credit where it
Except to Gary Moore, who still revered Clapton as one of his main influences to the end and was never bitter to Clappo, even though he totally blew the Cream reunion out of the water with his awesome display of LesPaul/Soldano playing on the Cream material, starting with the WDM filmed Jack Bruce 50th Anniversary concert and then with BBM, post that.
Gary said in an interview around the time of the release of "Blues For Greeny", that he thought that he would never be invited to Crossroads and that was true.
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

coolhand78

Re: Re:

Post by coolhand78 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:26 am

yngwie308 wrote: Except to Gary Moore, who still revered Clapton as one of his main influences to the end and was never bitter to Clappo, even though he totally blew the Cream reunion out of the water with his awesome display of LesPaul/Soldano playing on the Cream material, starting with the WDM filmed Jack Bruce 50th Anniversary concert and then with BBM, post that.
Gary said in an interview around the time of the release of "Blues For Greeny", that he thought that he would never be invited to Crossroads and that was true.
yngwie308

Whilst I didn't mind BBM, Moore really was just ripping Clapton licks the whole time, and IMO wasn't a patch on the Cream Reunion in 2005 - it was real and original and didn't sound contrived which is how I felt about Moore's playing in BBM. Ginger Baker pretty much wrote him off in his autobiography when talking about Gary and the BBM experience, but it's hard to take anything he says as lore as he's a very pissed off old man, and it appears that the only person he doesn't seem to harbour some sort of grudge or resentment against is Clapton.

Moore does do a good Clapton impersonation, tonally he was light years away from the golden tones of Clapton in cream and I felt that he didn't really do himself justice by copping so much of Clapton... IMO not Moore's best work by any stretch...

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Re: Eric Clapton

Post by NY Chief » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:45 pm

EC on FIRE tearing up Freddie KIng songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVaYwUAOeTY

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"