steve jones

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

geoff_bell

steve jones

Post by geoff_bell » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:17 am

i never liked it when people said the pistols couldn't play. this actually stems from the anarchy tour, when councils in uk banned them from playing because they swore on prime-time tv.

jones' playing on never mind the bollocks was really tight. his fills and riffs were musical. they may have wanted to sound like ny dolls, but, to me anyway, sounded more like the who and the kinks without that 'sixities shit.

this album was one of the ones i used to learn to play. it got me tight. i learned standard chord progressions from it. use of melody. use of harmony.

tone to die for. fender twin with a busted speaker or something.

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:56 am

Actually Steve had a Fender Twin stolen, of course,, from I believe, I and I, Bob Marley.
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

joepete

Steve Jones

Post by joepete » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:36 pm

Steve Jones is one of the reasons I started playing guitar!! I loved the raw sound of his guitar and his fills are chaotic but perfectly placed. I can see the Thunders influence in his playing especially on leads which are Chuck berry derived. I never could understand how They got such a killer raw tone out of a fender twin reverb. I have a later 78 twin and it sounds nothing alike even when cranked fully to 10. I saw steve jones live twice, once in 1995 and again in 2003 and he had fender showman blackface heads with fender cabs both times. In 1995 in nyc he was playing a blue sparkle top series Gibson Les paul Standard, and in 2003 he was playing an older Gibson Les Paul Custom. He still sounded great and managed to fill the air with only just one guitar player. The Pistols orig lineup are supposed to do a re union gig in the uk for 30th anniversary of never mind the bullocks album. I always wondered if Steve Jones used Marshalls in the studio to record.