Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Michael Schenker

Post by JimiJames » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:22 am

Tone Slinger wrote:Majestic and Magnificant

http://youtu.be/xaM4Ezpn700" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for post a quality - no nonsense vid TS ! Preciate that !

High Flyer & that outro from These Kids on the Force It LP you posted, taught me a lot when it was released !
How to play slow & tasty & how to be cool playing less notes my first year on guitar. One of my main and early-on influenced hero's :wink:
Thanks Micheal ! :worthy:
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

awangotango

Post by awangotango » Sun May 25, 2014 9:13 pm

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Mon May 26, 2014 8:48 am

yup. Slow, melodic and tasty just like that. Tone for days, man.

Since Uli, Yngwie, (Hoey) are touring... How bout Schenk's with Lynch ! :shock: :rock:
They need another to call it "The 3rd Reich" ...won't fly ofcourse. :mrgreen:
Last edited by JimiJames on Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

stef
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by stef » Mon May 26, 2014 10:29 am

awangotango

Post by awangotango » Mon May 26, 2014 4:42 pm

besides robin mcauley, i'd say that lead singer for Europe is one of the better ones schenkers played with. He never quite chooses the right singer imo although he dows make sure they have a vibrato and some soul but technically and being able to find pitches is not the forte of most of the singers whose played with him. tempest has got near perfect pitch the times I've heard him.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:36 pm

I agree, Joey Tempest is an excellent 'melodic' vocalist who also has the insight of being a guitarist.
I gotta say though that ,imo, Klaus Meine is the perfect singer for 'ol Schenker. I know that Michael 'possibly' wouldnt have been able to take the back seat and allow Rudolphs songs to happen (very much like how things were with Uli Roth...... 2 STYLES within one band, etc) and embellish them the way that Jabs was able to. Still, I am CERTAIN that if Michael had stayed with the Scorpions that second time around (1979 LoveDrive) that there would have been some collaborations that would have been amazing. There is some boots around on Youtube of like France , Belgium and Holland, that SHOW that Michael was playing INCREDIBLY well with the Scorpions on his short lived tour with them in '79.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

bdc
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by bdc » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:07 pm

awangotango wrote:besides robin mcauley, i'd say that lead singer for Europe is one of the better ones schenkers played with. He never quite chooses the right singer imo although he dows make sure they have a vibrato and some soul but technically and being able to find pitches is not the forte of most of the singers whose played with him. tempest has got near perfect pitch the times I've heard him.
Gary Bardens voice is all done.......but I liked Doogy and Robin on the more recent tours.....
On the albums, IMO the Graham Bonnet vocals are about as good as it gets......

awangotango

Post by awangotango » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:14 am

I meant besides Klaus! and Phil mogg ! both of those combo's were magical. I guess I meant during his solo/wayward days where he went through so many singers. doogie's got good nights and bad imo but they are all good guys it seems with nice vibrato. I think Michael uses those 2 criteria the most when he's left to choose who sings for him. I love the first and second album he did with robin though and felt it was almost as classic as Klaus and phil. classic album, tunes, tone it had it all imo

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlJ-7Wj2kjU[/youtube]

killer rendition of a classic
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHgGCz5Fn_c[/youtube]

I remember hearing him first in the band grand prix. I'm sure I found it at the record store thumbing though the import section. That's where I got all my records when a kid. IMPORT. I found accept, maiden, the rods, dokken, loudness, ufo etc. Just looking at the covers. I'd take it home and loved it. Discovered the music the old fashioned way. Also did a lot of tape trading with friends and cousins etc and we'd all turn each other on to new bands. ah the good ol days

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeLaxoLqfxY[/youtube]

awangotango

Post by awangotango » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:30 am

kick drum distortion is a bit annoying but still a good one/ ain't often we get to hear Michael play some slow blues !
enjoyed him with lenny wolf (of stone fury and kingdom come) too for a short tour. His rep is as a Robert plant clone, but I think he's got a unique voice with great pitch and melodies. That first stone fury LP is a classic and the kingdom come lp's have some good tuens and killer vintagy guitar tones. Wouldn't mind seeing herman, Michael, rudi and lenny live one more time before the sun sets for good.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuWI4R1ChfQ[/youtube]

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:40 am

bdc, I DO really like 'Assault Attack'. Bonnets vocals on 'Assault Attack', 'Desert Song' and 'Samurai' are excellent. IMO the best vocals 'ol Bonnet ever recorded.

Awangotango, boy do I remember thumbing through the imports back in the '80's. I remember finding Wasps 'Animal(I f**K like A Beast). I also remember Uli Jon Roths 'Firewind'. Probably my favorite was Loudness 'Dissillusion' which I found on cassette. I have the cassette still, but lost the cassette cover.Tokyo Blade was another good find I made. The singer sounded like the guy in Diamond Head a bit.

awangotango

Post by awangotango » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:09 pm

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:23 am

Listen to this solo from 53:10 to 56:30......just totally awesome :shred: The WHOLE show is awesome, but that solo in 'Rock Bottom' is just bad assed. The guy was playing WAY ahead of his era. That tone too.....just amazing. I'm really digging the bootlegs that 'Uke Hunt' has been posting on Youtube.

Enjoy :rock: http://youtu.be/Iuq1icP7Q7c

awangotango

Post by awangotango » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:37 pm

it's hard to believe. that frickin' tone, note choice, pitch, the whole fricin' i band playing together, greate tunes, timing. it's a whole nuther level really. compare this to what's on the grammys. a bunch of satanistic wannabes lipsyncing to their autotune digital back track. these must be end times. thanks for the link, that dude has some sweet shows uploaded :popcorn: my night is officially planned

he plays some differnet notes in 'on with the action', one of my fav solos, each time he phrases some things a bit different over the years. I've never heard a poor version. There's some killer shows circa late 75 and through '76 but form '75 -83 he was on fire.

awangotango

Post by awangotango » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:25 pm

hey slinger, listen and compare that UK show with cleveland or any other 120V show and tell me there's no difference between 50 and 60 cylces!!!

Damn I wish I lived in europe just for the wall voltage for my marshalls!

the US cycles is grainier and UK is richer and smoother. I hear it on all my favorite british heavy metal LPs.

I can get my marshalls to sound like cleveland but the roundhouse show? never gonna happen. Although I found the old RIC cone celestions help go most of the way in giving that extra compression and smoothness......

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:47 pm

I will say that his tone on the '77 Roundhouse gig was effortlessly good. It was near perfect imo.
I dig the US '78 tour as well. Its hard to pick a favorite. His live tones in '76 right up to his last shows with UFO in late '78 were stellar. I do think I hear a Euro/USA difference in tone. The Euro stuff is maybe smoother/richer and the USA gritty/grainier, like you mentioned

This sound quality is pretty bad, but MAN, the crowd is just PUMPED ! You can hear the crowd talking and calling out the names of each song as the band roars into them. Still, even with the bad recording you can tell that Schenkers amps were really putting out !, just maxed out Balls of a Marshall type tone :rock: Again, the solo in 'Rock Bottom' here is tremendous (37:43-42:08) :shred:

http://youtu.be/7M4Pi5Sh-Fs