RORY GALLAGHER

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

dirtydeeds22

RORY GALLAGHER

Post by dirtydeeds22 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:13 pm

I've been seeing a lot of things about Rory Gallagher lately, so I bought 'Irish Tour', and can honestly say I've been missing out. That dude completely ripped. Awesome tone, chops, slide playing, sang pretty well too. It's a shame he's gone now. :cry: :cry: I can't believe I didn't hear about him till recently. :oops: :oops: Definitely an under appreciated talent that was out there.

I know Chief is a Gallagher fan. So Chief, what kind gear did Rory use besides the Strat? His tone was great.

Any CD recommendations?

Jeff
I WANNA BE ANARCHY

johniss0001
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by johniss0001 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:27 pm

i saw gallagher on a tv show showing 70's hits and if i remember correctly he was playin a telly through marshalls

i got a live rory gallagher album and he is really good
John Ross

Respect the FATHER OF LOUD Jim Marshall

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:47 pm

Uh-Oh. HOT button!!! :shock: :D

One of the best!!

His Strat was a testament to dedication. I saw him live 3 times and everytime he played his heart out like it was his first and last gig. He used the Strat most of the time, the Tele for slide (excellent slide player BTW),
a mandolin (true to his Irish roots) and I think a Martin (also excellent acoustic player). He was using little Fender amps all the times I saw him, not sure which models but definitely Blackface. I saw a post (plexi palace, I think) which reportedly had pics of Rory's AC30. I even saw him on TV when his Fender head erupted in flames! I know for sure he used some sort of treble booster (common practice then).

Just read a great book written by his long time Bass player, Gerry McAvoy. Brian May is qouted "The first time I heard Rory play I knew that's the setup I needed. I had to have THAT tone." Sounds to me like he found it! So the AC30 thing could be true. Rory was even bigger than I remember. Won Best Guitarist in GP one year. He was so big that his funeral packed the church and streets outside. Supposedly The Edge and Adam Clayton had to observe from the street. They couldn't even get in.

I have that vid. As good as it is it doesn't do him justice. You have to get
Rory Gallagher Live In Europe CD. It's by far my favorite. He opens with a version of Messin With The Kid that drips of outrageous tone. For years I swore that could NOT be a Strat and an AC30. He puts in some nice bitchin acoustic finger picking and rabble rousing, beer drinking Irish mandolin as well.

Most of his early studio cuts are great. My favorite is Calling Card. Can't go wrong there!

BTW (Dan) the first thing I thought of when I plugged my Rory Strat into my new TMB boost and cranked my AC30 I thought "Holy SHIT!!! A strat CAN sound like that through an AC30. It was pure "Meesin" tone.
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:51 pm

PS - Gallagher, Jeff Beck and Ron Wood were the (only) 3 guitar players considered by the Stones to replace Mick Taylor.

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

sub

Post by sub » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:38 pm

GibsonMarshallCelestion

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:30 pm

Rory rocked. I'm sorry I haven't had enough money to track down a crapload of his stuff.

dirtydeeds22

Post by dirtydeeds22 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:41 pm

Thanks for the link sub.

Jeff
I WANNA BE ANARCHY

Eoin

Post by Eoin » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:33 am

NY Chief wrote:a mandolin (true to his Irish roots)
LOL. There's nothing uniquely Irish about Mandolins I'm afraid.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:44 pm

Eoin wrote:
NY Chief wrote:a mandolin (true to his Irish roots)
LOL. There's nothing uniquely Irish about Mandolins I'm afraid.
Well, that's my Irish granny blood speaking!

Listen to Rory's playing a mandolin. That's VERY deifnitley an Irish take!

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

damienH

Post by damienH » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:53 pm

yahey i'm irish and from cork ( where he grew up ) ALl the albums are pretty much class but the live ones are better than the rest. Check out walk on hot coals from live in europe it's sickening how good it is. Also a million miles away on the irish tour... for mandolin check out coming to my home town or leaving blues

asheman_51

Post by asheman_51 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:44 pm

NY Chief wrote:PS - Gallagher, Jeff Beck and Ron Wood were the (only) 3 guitar players considered by the Stones to replace Mick Taylor.
Roy Buchanan was also considered...

asheman_51

Post by asheman_51 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:49 pm

NY Chief wrote:PS - Gallagher, Jeff Beck and Ron Wood were the (only) 3 guitar players considered by the Stones to replace Mick Taylor.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:14 pm

asheman_51 wrote:
That's cool, too. He was a helluva guitar player when he was onas well. Had a drink with him one night after a show at My Father's Place in NY (who didn't he drink with? :o )

Worked the GMS Drum booth for my bud at winter NAMM a few years back. We had a booth next to a nice old lady. We got to talking and she turned out to be Mrs. Buchanan! I told her I loved Roy’s playing. She pointed to an old Tele and asked “Would you like to play Roy’s Guitar?” SHIT HOWDY I DID!! I diddled on that thing for a good while. Then I asked “So how is Roy?” She answered “DEAD” oops :oops:
I still didn’t wash my hand for a week. Playing Roy’s own Tele…TOO cool.

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Brian Wallace
Supporting Advertiser

RG

Post by Brian Wallace » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:42 pm

I saw Rory warm up for Rush on the Signals tour at Joe Louis arena. After he was done, I went to the mechandise booth and bought his tour shirt. I was done with Rush. :)
Patience is a virtue.

Wallace amps

Wallace forum

908ssp

Post by 908ssp » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:12 am

A little off topic but Harvey Mandel also was up for joining the Stones he even cut the solo on one of their hits.

"One of Mandel's most significant session credits was his participation on Black and Blue, the 1976 LP from The Rolling Stones. His unique style is evident on the song "Hot Stuff." When Mick Taylor left the Stones at the end of 1974, Jagger & Co. auditioned for a replacement by cutting tracks with various guitarists, among them Mandel and the man who eventually got the job, Ronnie Wood. Harvey Mandel became an immortal legend because of his role as a "heavy friend" in rock's stratosphere! "