Jimmy Page - the old one

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

somethin'else
Just the numbers in order: 7

Jimmy Page - the old one

Post by somethin'else » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:37 pm

Fairly recent Page, 1998 anyway. I guess we could call that recent for him!

I love this sound he was messin' with here.
I think it's a baritone guitar. Used on Page & Plant's 'Walking Into Clarksdale' album.
Great album, I love Steve Albini (period) and especially his (transparent) production of this album.
It's a very Western Cowboy sounding album, and you can see where R.Plant was jumping off to after that with all his work with the Nashville folks.
I'm wondering if anyone has an idea about the effects Page used for this guitar track, aside from the Phase 90 and delay?
I love this sound, it's really dark, gothic, and kinda' cowpunk. This is the rare B-Side to Most High, something I just found for the 1st time.
Not much there (kind of Carouselambra minimalist), but to great effect. It sounds deep, and sick.
Probably some of the last chords uttered by Page so far! (Come on Jimmy we know you can do it some more!)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EQwfSXaut0[/youtube]

And here is the other track on that album that he used the same guitar, it SLAMS, IMHO.
Perfect Page here... thrash, punk, rockabilly, eastern/californian droning... wow.
RIP Michael Lee, you killed the drums!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0neKLtmXnto[/youtube]
dave

SteadyEddie

Re: Jimmy Page - the old one

Post by SteadyEddie » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:30 pm

To me, you can't take out the importance of JPJ in the sound of Zeppelin. Listen to this. JP and JPJ on a movie soundtrack... sounds more like LZ than anything by JP and RP. Sure, it's got an 80s production sound, but you can hear the Zep in there.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg_2pCG1XjQ[/youtube]
Last edited by SteadyEddie on Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimmyride
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by jimmyride » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:00 pm

I was wondering about Page's most recent tone as well. It's kind of raw and juicy. It has also something to do with the way he plays of course. :-) Someone called Pete Cornish (I hope I've got it right) built a custom pedal board for Page. Google it, that way you can find out what he uses.

jimmyride

Post by jimmyride » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:07 pm

somethin'else

Post by somethin'else » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:47 am

Yep, definitely visited the Cornish site lots.
I'll take a wild stab at it.
Phase 90, Chorus, Wammy detuned, and Echoplex.
That's some gnarly cocktail!
dave

bdc

Post by bdc » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:34 pm

I thought WIK was a great album too....the guitar tones are supreme

revolver1

Post by revolver1 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:14 am

Don't know if it's any help but I saw them live around this time in the UK. Seen 'em at wembely arena, Shepherd's Bush Empire, live TV apearance on TFI Friday and recorded session at the BBC Earlstree studio's for Top Of The Pop's and I was right down the front for all of them. Got to chat with Robert and Jimmy breifely a few times over that week wich was a bit of a treat as I was a young musician and completely worshiped them.

He was using Fender Tone Master Head's and matching 4x12 cab's and of course the Cornish built pedal board and yes it sounded friken amazing. I can remember the bass was on 3 and the mid and treble on 6.

I was lucky to have a chat with his guitar Tec at one point standing right next to his rack of guitars. I know it's fairly common knowledge but he was still using Herco Flex 75 picks that were hard to come by at the time (some problem at the factory) so he was conserving them and so at the end of the showes he was throwing Dunlop Tortex purple pick's in to the crowd wich his Tec used for tuning.

BrownSound1

Post by BrownSound1 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:59 am

It is true Page had those Fenders onstage, but he was using a Vox AC30 head for most of his overdriven tones.
Why is it we can remember where all the wires go, but can never find a pick?

revolver1

Post by revolver1 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:51 am

I'm not doubting you but I do seem to remember seeing an AC30 kicking around on the tour for the previous album but I never saw one on the Clarksdale tour (at least in the UK). He may have been slaving the AC30 to one of the Tone Masters but he definately had one clean and one dirty amp and I can vouch the sound was coming out the Tone Masters on stage as I was def for about a month after those gigs. On the TV performances I never saw an AC30 and there was nowhere to hide one either unless it was off in another part of the studio for recording purposes. Also all his cabs were mic'ed up with recording mic's (not your standard live performance SM57's). Either way the sound comming off stage sounded exactly like the album and was the same for every performance.

I'll have to get on you tube maybe the AC30 is some thing I've forgotten about over the years.

I think it was Joe Perry who put Page on to those Tone Masters. They were quite popular at the time but quite pricy. I remember Rich Robbinson used one for a bit and so did Audley Frieed although his was slaved to an Orange AD30. I played a couple at the time and considered buying one, they sounded pretty good. But it's funny in the end they all come back to the unbridaled rock monster that is the PLEXI. :rock: What else do you need?

BrownSound1

Post by BrownSound1 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:31 pm

Here's a pic from the Walking Into Clarksdale tour of Page with a Vox. From what I understood, he used those Fenders for clean tones. Personally, I wanted to see Marshalls up there, but who am I to argue with Pagey. :)

revolver1

Post by revolver1 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:00 am

Ah, cheer's Brownsound1. That certainly clears that one up, very cool. I haven't seen that guitar befour either. He had a different one when I saw him, still with the auto retuning set up on it for the mind bending Whole Lotta Love section, interesting.

I loved the previous tour, there was a guy playing a Hurdy Gurdy. What a spun out sound! But that Clarksdale tour just blew my mind. So simple and stripped back but the imense wall of sound those four guy's could make. Wow!

BrownSound1

Post by BrownSound1 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:44 pm

I saw them on both tours in Memphis, TN. I enjoyed them both quite a lot, but I really could have done without the Egyptian orchestra on the first one. The second was, as you say, stripped down and much better in my opinion. I was so hoping they would continue playing together, but I guess Plant had different ideas.

One thing I love about Jimmy Page is that he isn't afraid to take chances when playing. It always seems to me that he is on the edge of disaster, but amazingly pulls it off most of the time. When he is "on" very few can come close to him in terms of sheer power. Plus he ALWAYS has a trump card, "Well I was in Led Zeppelin and wrote Whole Lotta Love and Stairway to Heaven. What have you done again?"

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:50 pm

I dunno guy's, I think 'ol 'PAGEY' sorta peaked at around 34 yrs old or so (the overdubs he did in '75 or '76 to the Madison Square Garden stuff ('73) on 'The Song Remains The Same' soundtrack.

Just the stuff he did on 'No Quarter' from the SONG REMAINS THE SAME is enough to establish how BAD ASSED of a soloist he was at one time.

Besides all of THAT, like said up above this post, he can simply say "Hi, nice to meet you, I'm JIMMY PAGE" :peace: .

Did you see the expression on the EDGE and that WHITE STRIPES dudes face when Page tore into 'Whole Lotta Love' right in front of them. It was total "Rock Star's meet The ROCK GOD"!
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

BrownSound1

Post by BrownSound1 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:02 am

Page pretty much owned The Edge and Jack White in that moment, and it was awesome. Plus Jimmy seems like such a gentleman, which makes his guitar persona jump out at you.

I agree that Page's solo on No Quarter from TSRTS is just incredible. I think that is maybe his greatest amp tone too, although I like his RAH Hiwatt tone too.

jimmyride

Post by jimmyride » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:26 am

I believe that No Quarter solo is not overdubbed. I think I heard a bootleg of that show which was identical. Stairway solo is awesome as well there. Also untouched I think. So both are from 1973 which I consider to be Page's peak. Starting in 1975, the drugs were more and more taking its toll on him.