Ronnie Montrose

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

54strat
Just the numbers in order: 7

Ronnie Montrose

Post by 54strat » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:58 pm

Ronnie Montrose died today at age 64 from the prostate cancer he had been battling the past few years. Awesome player.
Guys over 40...go get the PSA blood test, and DRE...it's not THAT bad.
73 Marshall 1987
76 Marshall 1936 cab w/Celestion V-30's
54 Fender Stratocaster hardtail
87 Fender Stratocaster

syscokid
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Ronnie Montrose

Post by syscokid » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:11 am

Another one of my Guitar Heroes...

RIP Ronnie...
"When I'm on stage and first plug in, and I feel a rush of air in my balls... That's when I know my guitar is sounding good!" -Leslie West

zaphod777

Post by zaphod777 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:25 pm

RIP Ronnie

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Mon May 14, 2012 7:12 pm

A great guitar player indeed, what a great loss. I'll always wonder what became of Ronnie's 58'-59' Gibson Les Paul that ended up in Gary Moore's guitar collection. Ronnie had this guitar stolen years ago at a concert while he was in "The Edgar Winter Group". Many years later it turned up in the collection of Gary Moore's guitars through a guitar magazine that had a pictorial of Gary's guitar collection. Gary never responded to any of Ronnie's requests so Ronnie had to sue. I think we all know and believe that Gary wouldn't have taken in the guitar if he knew that it was owned by Ronnie Montrose, but you would have at least thought that Gary would try to remember who sold it to him in order to help put the guy behind bars.

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Tue May 29, 2012 12:39 pm

Actually there is a quite considerable 'back story' as it is termed concerning this whole story.
Tom Witterock was the gent who named her Stripe.
Many times Ronnie referred to the guitar as a 1958 Sunburst.
I even dug up my old Guitar Player with Roy Buchanon on the cover which contains a Montrose interview and again he refers to the guitar as a 1958.
I know in those days there wasn't the affectation for the year 1959 that exists today, but the guitar was sold at least two to three times before Gary took possession in the UK from an English dealer.
Never was the issue of it being a stolen guitar from 1979 brought up.
In fact by the time it was brought to RM's attention and pics of the burst/flame pattern were compared, did the issue arise.
Gary obtained the geetar in 1988ish and it was the guitar that he recorded "Still Got The Blues" with in like the first take.
This guitar was well loved by Gary and he would never sell it.
I do happen to know reliable information from direct sources back in the first sales that I cannot discuss as it was told to me in confidence.
Let me just summarize and say that the agents or people acting on poor Ronnie's behalf, did frankly a poor job of presenting evidence and much early data about sales is withheld, not for any unscrupulous reasons but because the agents did a unprofessional job of approaching concerned parties and they felt uncomfortable discussing aspects as there never was a concerted approach of discovery. And none from Mr. Montrose himself directly.
I have participated in many forum discussions on The Les Paul Forum and My Les Paul Forum about this issue.
By the time the lawsuit was brought in San Francisco, there just wasn't sufficient documentation amongst other things provided and many actual legal analysts and guitar playing lawyers weighed in.
Gary was never seen in public with the guitar post 1997.
I realize the gravity of this topic, both players are now dead and Gary never intentionally bought a 'stolen' guitar and I can safely say that dealers later down the line may have had an inkling or so about the provenance, but none had their conscience 'pricked' sufficiently to involve their testimony, ect.
There was no original bill of sale from J.Geils with any serial #, as again in those days the burst phenomenon hadn't exploded yet.
I was loath to enter this thread out of respect for Ronnie who was an amazing player and who suffered greatly and broke much new ground with his bands 'Montrose' and 'Gamma'.
I will however defend Gary Moore's side as I was practically given no choice but to do so concerning the ex-Peter Green 'Greeny' sale. I was threatened with a defamation of character legal action over comments I made.
I had started a thread in TLPF saying why couldn't there be a Collector's Choice reissue of this guitar which played like a dream and had beautiful, partially hidden flame and the most sublime uncovered PAF's that are amongst the most beautiful sounding examples I have ever heard.
But all the issues, ect..
This will never happen and I guess the guitar will never, ever see the light of day again which is a tragedy to add to the tragedies of both these amazing players lives.
Please I do not wish to sully Ronnie's memory with a lot of legalese bs as I personally can't take anymore of that myself.
May both these great players rest in peace and the chapter is sadly closed.
My point here is that there was no deficiency on the part of Gary's actions or his knowing participation in any deceit or deception.
Thanks for listening
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Tue May 29, 2012 4:44 pm

I agree with your comments Yngwie 308, both Ronnie and Gary (were/are) great musicians not to mention good individuals. FWIW it was never my intent to sully either Ronnie or Gary's character in any way, and that's why I chose my words carefully. I guess to answer my own question, the Ronnie Montrose Les Paul guitar will be retained by Gary's X wife (and/or) immediate family. From what I understand his new girlfriend was left with nothing but memories. How tragic it is that the world lost both Ronnie and Gary, what stellar talents they both were.

syscokid
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by syscokid » Tue May 29, 2012 7:39 pm

yngwie308 wrote:Actually there is a quite considerable 'back story' ...
...Thanks for listening
yngwie308
Your welcome and that was a good read.... :thumbsup:

I still can't believe that both of these guys are gone... :(
"When I'm on stage and first plug in, and I feel a rush of air in my balls... That's when I know my guitar is sounding good!" -Leslie West

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Tue May 29, 2012 8:58 pm

Lefty Lou wrote:I agree with your comments Yngwie 308, both Ronnie and Gary (were/are) great musicians not to mention good individuals. FWIW it was never my intent to sully either Ronnie or Gary's character in any way, and that's why I chose my words carefully. I guess to answer my own question, the Ronnie Montrose Les Paul guitar will be retained by Gary's X wife (and/or) immediate family. From what I understand his new girlfriend was left with nothing but memories. How tragic it is that the world lost both Ronnie and Gary, what stellar talents they both were.
Lefty Lou you didn't do that at all, you were most appropriate in your comments.
Actually there is so much unknown in the Gary Moore world since his death, that I am staying out of the loop, as much as I was "in" it to begin with.
Neil Carter whom just had a birthday, I feel that I am close to him and he is a great guy. He himself Gary's greatest collaborator musically is as much in the dark about releases and things he was closely involved in.
Plus at my normally safe home at the Gary Moore Forum "The Lord of the Strings", I am being stalked for want of a better word over there from someone who only joined to criticize me.
Specifically about the biography of Gary that I had proposed to Gary himself. All innuendo and accusing me of wanting money from his estate, yes these are wacky times..
So I am staying away from those icebergs for the time being..sad.
May both these dynamic guys who did it their way find some peace further on down the road as it were..
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Tue May 29, 2012 11:18 pm

yngwie308, I'm just guessing but are you a lefty? I've seen several internet postings from guitar guys in Arizona who are lefties.

It's too bad that Gary didn't have a brother like Rory Gallagher's brother Donal to carry on his estate and his memory. I'm sure that Gary's son (Jack Moore) will pick up the torch where his father left off. What I thought was cool was that George Harrison and Gary Moore were good friends. It would be great if Dhani Harrison and Jack Moore both picked up where their father's left off as friends and music collaborators. That would be a fairly good match.

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Tue May 29, 2012 11:55 pm

No Lou I am right handed, Gary was a lefty who played righty, which he always said was a disadvantage to his right hand, but I didn't agree, sure he dosen't play like Stefan Grossman with his right or even the late Doc Watson RIP, but he made up for it in his own style. The Loner live in Stockholm shows his incredible techniques well.
I was in touch with Jack right after Gary's passing through FB, in fact I told him I wanted to give him one of my GM Heritage's to carry on as his dad would have wanted, but he sort of got busy and dropped of my radar.
Honestly this whole estate, will, probate, ect.. I am not sure what the hell is going on.
I know that I am distantly related to the Moore's of Belfast through my late grandmother, God Bless her soul, but I tried everything I could even when Gary was still alive to help with his career in my modest way.
My lasting satisfaction is providing a catalyst between Neil Carter and Gary after my interview with NC in 2009.
The media I sent to Neil, DVD rips of the VHS stuff and boot liveCD's they both watched and listened to together and later used them at the rehearsals for the final tour, that still is the stuff of dreams and magic.
Yes Donal does a great job for Rory and others need to step forward for Gary. But that is another thread, not related to RM.
Yes his friendship with George Harrison meant the world to Gary and it goes to show that he was acknowledged by a master like George.
Hopefully some guy like Scorsese will check out Gary Moore and make a film and a multi-media creation. All the material is there.
I would do it myself gladly, but....who knows :scratch:
Gary's boys are very young still.
Thanks for your kind words and thoughts.
Dave

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Wed May 30, 2012 1:45 pm

I am aware that Gary is a lefty who learned to play right handed, being a lefty myself facts of that nature don't easily escape my purview. It makes me wonder how many other guitarists of Gary's genre were also lefties that had to learn how to play right handed because of cost & availability of left handed instruments back in the day. BTW, I read within a link last night that Dhani Harrison's net worth is 1.3 Billion, geez I knew George's net worth had to be up there but Billion? That's very cool that you were able to make the connections that you did with Neil Carter and Gary Moore prior to Gary's death. Yngwie308, I've got one for you, What three guitarists are referred to as "The Holy Trinity"?

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Wed May 30, 2012 2:14 pm

I take a wild guess Lou, and please call me Dave, the yngwie308 moniker was when I first joined I was heavy into YJM, like I would listen to him constantly. Other forums relate my other interests, such as Steve Stevens (Atomic Playboy) and Gary Moore (Emerald).
Could it be Clapton, Beck and Page?
On the lefty/righty issue, being a lefty playing right handed, makes your left hand incredibly killer, I tried switching to lefty to see how it would feel and it gives the non-dominant hand a killer flexibility.
Not to cry for myself but since I was first diagnosed with the psoriatic arthritis in 1997, right now both hands feel like there are oven mitts on, my fine motor skills, once world class in my microelectronics career, sadly even with the latest drugs, ect.
Right now my left hand, primarily the thumb has degraded to such a degree that I am awaiting the governments (God help my soul) determination regarding my disability claim.
So it is bittersweet still being so actively involved in the guitar world, ect. I think of those with far greater disadvantages and keep trying.
I cannot for example restring a guitar very well at all as it takes me hours where it was minutes at one time and when I grasp the neck with my left hand, the pressure on the primary thumb joint causes unbearable pain and this sort of paralyzes the whole hand.
Years ago I realized the value of slow playing with deep feeling as it would let me explore, not just the fast stuff, ect.
Enough about me, if you read or are a member of the dual Les Paul Forums, The and My, a search of my threads under Emerald will reveal a lot of my writing about Gary Moore, much of which I am very proud of..
Shoot me a PM Lou and I can give you my E-mail as that is primarily how I roll these days.
Also my web blog http://www.daveonrock.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has some Phil Lynott and Rory, Gary stuff of interest.
Cheers mate
Dave

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Wed May 30, 2012 5:20 pm

Dave, God Bless you buddy for your strength in fighting back against crippling arthritis. BTW, you can call me Gregg the "Lefty Lou" is just my (nom de plume) here on the forum. My mother's 76 and has bad rheumatoid arthritis in her hands as well. I know of a Hammond keyboardist here in Okc., that's been playing since the 60's and he has the same problems with his hands such that he had a hand warmer on his keyboards to help loosen up his hands for playing. Pain can be an incredibly difficult thing to overcome but desire and determination run deep through many of us, and that makes it possible to do magnificent things. I myself had an injury back in 06' where I radically dislocated my right shoulder and in the process severed or severely damaged the nerves in my right hand ring and pinky fingers. Even though nerves mend to some extent, I have dexterity limitations between my middle to ring, and ring to pinky fingers speed deprivation included. I just do the best I can and enjoy what I do have, and consistently try to work on my limitations. For the "Holy Trinity" question you're correctomundo. I thought that it was an appropriate moniker for Jeff, Eric, and Jimmy. Not to be blasphemous, but many consider these three to be just that, at least as far as the guitar world is concerned and I'm hoping that they'll all stick around for awhile. Getting back to your hands buddy, have you tried accupuncture or even homeopathic meds (or natural non-pharmaceutical meds) to help if not alleviate the pain? I used to frequent the LPF as a member, but it's been years although I'll still check out your postings. Not being familiar with posting pics or PM'ing on this forum, I'll have to become more acquainted with how this forum rolls with regards to those two subjects and drop you a line O.K.? Cheers to you also mate