Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Lefty Lou
Just the numbers in order: 7

There's a new guitar slinger in town.

Post by Lefty Lou » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:20 pm

I thought that this video deserves to see the light of day:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkAtEI_ei1E[/youtube]

I came across Chris Robinson when listening to an audio clip of Robert Keeley's Luna Overdrive.

chrisom

Re: There's a new guitar slinger in town.

Post by chrisom » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:26 pm

SRV meets Derek Trucks (minus the slide) who meets SRV again but then meets Robin Trower with a bit of Jimi for good measure- all on a Mexican Strat. I love this kind of stuff! :thumbsup: :listen:

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:10 pm

Completely agree with Chrisom,Serious Trower vibe.The tone was almost just like that live Trower album from the '70's. His faster type pentatonic runs were straight up stevie. That first solo he did was REALLY good, loved how he got that fluidness using the lone string :thumbsup: . That dudes obviously real young, but one hell of a player regardless :rock: .
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:22 pm

I was just discussing with a friend how lucky these younger guitarists are today, as they have access to all kinds of musical instruction, media, and equipment that many of us didn't have when we were that age. When I see above and beyond technique that these young "whipper snappers" have, it just boggles the mind. How I would have loved to have what these kids have in the way of style and technique. Back then you'd go to a library to research and still not find what you needed but, now you just get on the internet and the whole world is at your fingertips.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:34 pm

True, I was talking to a friend yesterday and he has an App. for his cellphone that has like every song tab out there including alternate chord positions etc. So like your at a party or something and are playing an acoustic lying around,singing some tunes and whatnot,everybody is like "Hey, play this song or that song" etc. If you cant exactly recall how to play it or never had learned it to begin with,you just pull out the cellphone and, viola, there it is.

I tell ya the downside to to having such IMMEDIATE accsess to guitar knowledge, etc, and that is that it makes it harder for youngsters to develop at 'thier own' pace. Learning the 'establishment' makes it hard to be unique and original.

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:43 am

With the advent of the internet, it gives younger players access to vintage recordings not previously available to them. Many guitar greats have said when studying other guitar players they studied a lineage of their favorite player's influences. This would seem to give one a better overview and appreciation of music styles both past and present. Problem is, most young players these days stop at the beginning of their (research/development/study/practice) i.e. with their immediate guitar heroes.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:56 am

I'm just saying that having access to EVERYTHING takes away a bit of originality in developing players.It used to be that you had to use your imagination more,which in itself is unique to every person. I think that good music comes from inside, as oppossed to the outside, with the 'outside' being what EVERYBODY else is playing.
Playing with others,like a drummer for ex., THAT,imo, is what can help a youngster. It seems that kids are gropping only the technical aspects of music nowadays,copying 'stylistic' aspects of players style, as oppossed to having a inner musical growth of time and rhythm.

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:07 pm

Mos definey, an internal rhythm and time clock either you have it or you work to refine it, and preferably in a band setting with others. The Beatles had that "tightness" after returning to Liverpool from Germany from all those many hours of playing together.

fivecoyote

Post by fivecoyote » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:58 pm

Agree. Kid sounds good, can play, but playing guitar is ABOUT PLAYING IN A BAND and feeding off each other. Can't see any other reason to do it...but maybe I'm getting old.
At it awhile, still learnin'

Get woodalicious tonology factoid learnin' at http://www.WOODYTONE.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:53 pm

I don't think Chris will have any problems whatsoever transitioning into a band situation. After all Joe Bonamassa was a bedroom player for many years before he made his mark in the music industry. Check out Chris's YouTube channel and you will see a young Joe Bonamassa in the making.

rgalpin

Post by rgalpin » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:43 pm

Lefty Lou wrote:I thought that this video deserves to see the light of day:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkAtEI_ei1E[/youtube]

I came across Chris Robinson when listening to an audio clip of Robert Keeley's Luna Overdrive.
@1:35 - killer!
thanks for the post!

AJW
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by AJW » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:35 pm

Nice! That's one of the better clips I've seen lately.