Pete Townsend on John Entwhistle

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Pete Townsend on John Entwhistle

Post by NY Chief » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:17 pm

Fascinating interview. One of the all time greats saying he wouldn' have been as big it weren't for his bass player.
You won't here that out of too many of the guitar gods!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s25n0kWkng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

mightymike
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Pete Townsend on John Entwhistle

Post by mightymike » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:08 am

John played lead bass. Not just part of the guitar. It's own separate song that worked together. Pure genius and ground breaking.

Lefty Lou
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Lefty Lou » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:58 am

There was a Behind The Music, or something to that effect wherein John's Entwhistle's equipment was discussed, racks, effects, etc. and it was quite extensive. Coupled with John's aforementioned lead style of playing bass you had the quintessential bass guitarist savant.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:43 am

Lefty Lou wrote:There was a Behind The Music, or something to that effect wherein John's Entwhistle's equipment was discussed, racks, effects, etc. and it was quite extensive. Coupled with John's aforementioned lead style of playing bass you had the quintessential bass guitarist savant.
The rig of doom. You can't fathom it unless you've actually stood in front of it live. While on hiatus from the Who, Entwhistle played with a friends band (Rat Race Choir, Steve the drummer is the interviewer in the Pete vud). They played at an after party during NAMM many years ago. Another friends band was on the bill as well and they got us into the show. I was standing about five deep in front of the Ox. HOLYFUKINCRAP!!!! I never heard anything so thunderous! :hairband: :stars:
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Lefty Lou
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Lefty Lou » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:52 pm

His voice wasn't bad either like on the song, "My Wife".

Cazart
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Cazart » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:51 am

NY Chief wrote:The rig of doom. You can't fathom it unless you've actually stood in front of it live. While on hiatus from the Who, Entwhistle played with a friends band (Rat Race Choir, Steve the drummer is the interviewer in the Pete vud). They played at an after party during NAMM many years ago. Another friends band was on the bill as well and they got us into the show. I was standing about five deep in front of the Ox. HOLYFUKINCRAP!!!! I never heard anything so thunderous! :hairband: :stars:
I envy you, my man! According to Pete's book, it was John who turned Pete on to Marshall amps. Pete had to keep buying more amps to make himself heard, and keep up with John. I remember when they were voted the loudest band in Guinness World Records. I can't imagine what it was like standing on that stage.