The EVH bashing thread

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Tone Slinger

Re: The EVH bashing thread

Post by Tone Slinger » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:22 am

The recent live stuff I just don't like (Jimmy Kimmel, Ellen, etc). Roth has that manequin (cant spell it ) 'smile' on his face all the time. VERY hard to watch. Ed's tone is just that horrible 'solid state' sounding buzz.......just cold, sterile and flat imo. His playing was suffice though, as was Wolf's and Alex's :thumbsup: . Roth is sounding like a 90year old man trying to squeeze a big 'ol constpated turd out. Just NOT what ANYBODY wants to hear.

For me to ever get excited again about this band is if Ed gets a amp that makes HIM sound good, and if they get Mike back and get RID of Roth (I really hate to say that, but its OBVIOUS). Nothing against Wolf, but he's only a Van Halen by name imo. But he certainly SAVED the day on Ellen with his nice 'DTNA' chorus vocals, as well as the slow break down part :thumbsup: . That and the beautiful girl Dave pulled up were high lights :D
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by garbeaj » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:58 am

The deal is David Lee Roth needs to put forth effort and work hard with a vocal coach. The end period.

chrisom
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by chrisom » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:02 pm

I understand they're out there working to promote their latest offering, and having VH out there working is way better than no VH at all, but the ONLY offering I'm interested in from VH is more studio albums, and there's NO reason why they can't give us that instead of all the other "wares" they've been offering us...

They have their own studio, I imagine they still know how to write songs, and DLR shines in a studio enviroment. It only makes sense to make studio LP's their main priority, not all this other crap... They are after all, primarily music artists.

I know they are performers too, but let's face it, their best live performances are in the past, no matter how much everyone smiles at the emperor's new clothes. I'm tired of looking at the same OLD clothes. How about they sit in lawn chairs at a backyard barbeque or in the basement with acoustic guitar and a cheap tape recorder and write NEW tunes, like Bon Jovi does it? (I'm not a Bon Jovi fan, but this makes sense).

Seriously, have they lost track of why they became musicians? Or is it only all about the ego-boost of live shows? :?

chrisom
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by chrisom » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:08 pm

Either that, or they ditch singers all together, and the 3 Van Halen boys dive into Jeff Beck/Wired/Blow By Blow/There and Back-style progressive 3-piece fusion/rock/funk albums and take THAT out on tour. I love DLR in this band, but his vocals on live shows are his WEAKEST point...

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:41 am

garbeaj wrote:The deal is David Lee Roth needs to put forth effort and work hard with a vocal coach. The end period.
I had thought as much as well, but it is evident that their is just TOO much vocal chord damage. Even with a great vocal coach and diligence on Dave's part, he can never perform the bands classics anywhere near the way he once did. Even surgery wouldn't do much. Paul Stanley has put forth as much time, effort and money, concerning his vocal abilities, as anyone around. His surgeries only marginally helped. He just cant pull it off anymore. I do agree that Dave could still be viable to a certain degree on a album.

Dave is gonna be lucky to be able to use his voice to even 'speak' well before long (gonna start sounding like an Italian mafia dude :) ) This upcoming tour is gonna be a complete debacle :palm: :what:
Last edited by Tone Slinger on Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:44 am

chrisom wrote:Either that, or they ditch singers all together, and the 3 Van Halen boys dive into Jeff Beck/Wired/Blow By Blow/There and Back-style progressive 3-piece fusion/rock/funk albums and take THAT out on tour. I love DLR in this band, but his vocals on live shows are his WEAKEST point...

Agree with ya man, That would be a hell of a three piece. Would love to see Ed trading off guitar & Keyboard in that scenario as well. It would be kinda like Rush, but with more Funk and swing :thumbsup:

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:17 am

Tone Slinger wrote:
garbeaj wrote:The deal is David Lee Roth needs to put forth effort and work hard with a vocal coach. The end period.
I had thought as much as well, but it is evident that their is just TOO much vocal chord damage. Even with a great vocal coach and diligence on Dave's part, he can never perform the bands classics anywhere near the way he once did. Even surgery wouldn't do much. Paul Stanley has put forth as much time, effort and money, concerning his vocal abilities, as anyone around. His surgeries only marginally helped. He just cant pull it off anymore. I do agree that Dave could still be viable to a certain degree on a album.

Dave is gonna be lucky to be able to use his voice to even 'speak' well before long (gonna start sounding like an Italian mafia dude :) ) This upcoming tour is gonna be a complete debacle :palm: :what:
I agree with you generally...but here is why I think Dave could pull it off. He sounded really good in 2007-2008. Not quite as good as the old days, but really, really good. He made an effort to remember the lyrics and he paid closer attention to the vocal melodies that we all know and love from the records. 2008 was really not that long ago, and I firmly believe that with hard work and lots of help from a vocal coach Dave could sound as good as he did in 2007-2008. But Dave won't do it. And frankly I'm amazed that Irving Azoff didn't contractually require Dave to work with a vocal coach and act like he gives a shit about singing.

awangotango

Post by awangotango » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:55 pm

you know a musical band is in trouble when they have more managers and handlers than band members. dump 'em all and play theatres. greedy effers all of 'em. why do 'loyal' fans defend these guys to the last, they obviously don't give a rats #Ss about them in return.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:12 pm

I totally agree Awangotango :thumbsup:

Allen, your right, 'ol Dave did do himself proud on that first reunion tour. I was at the very FIRST show of that tour (Charlotte NC), and I was expecting the worst. He actually sang 'reasonably' close on alot of it. He surprised me on "I'll Wait" especially :thumbsup:

awangotango

Post by awangotango » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:29 pm

i still say ralle's tune show the world walks all over anything vh has done since '86. where's his ellen or kimmel gig?

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:02 am

Tone Slinger wrote:Allen, your right, 'ol Dave did do himself proud on that first reunion tour. I was at the very FIRST show of that tour (Charlotte NC), and I was expecting the worst. He actually sang 'reasonably' close on alot of it. He surprised me on "I'll Wait" especially :thumbsup:
:thumbsup:

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:52 am

But, did Clapton really dis Ed's playing on Star Fleet?? :wink:

Sorry, couldn't resist. That was for flimflam whiny boy beotch that couldn't untangle his panties and had to go on a rant that got the EC / Star Fleet thread locked. Good goin, mooch.... :palm: :clap:
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:47 am

Here again, remember Sparky ? Everything he got involved in seemed to get 'locked out'. This thread is for the BASHING of 'ol EVH. If you post negative stuff ALL THE TIME about Ed in Sections DEDICATED to him (and his fans), then your gonna get some hate. Post in this thread about how BAD Ed's tone is, or how much his playing has changed/degressed, or how his waist line is going up,etc.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:03 pm

Tone Slinger wrote:Here again, remember Sparky ? Everything he got involved in seemed to get 'locked out'. This thread is for the BASHING of 'ol EVH. If you post negative stuff ALL THE TIME about Ed in Sections DEDICATED to him (and his fans), then your gonna get some hate. Post in this thread about how BAD Ed's tone is, or how much his playing has changed/degressed, or how his waist line is going up,etc.

You’re right, TS. Sparky got pretty nasty and deservedly got banned. We've had differences of opinion but it's always been civil (as with most here.) In hindsight maybe that “EC Dissing EVH” thread should have been in this “Bashing Ed” section, eh? :)
Or maybe that OP wasn’t a very good post to make in the first place?

Of course any opinion not towing the EVH worship line is gonna ruffle some feathers but some people need to put on their big boy pants and live in the real world where not everyone shares their opinion. I can’t say I prefer listening to Brian May over EVH? Oh my, the world is gonna end!!! I’ve said it a thousand times, I don’t have anything against the man (if I ever met him I’d probably be awestruck and shit my pants just like any other big star) but it’s the blind, myopic (does that cancel each other out?) devotion to all things Ed can do no wrong mentality :worthy: that gets old. IMO, of course… And, don’t forget I bought Georges first production 12 series so I guess I can’t or don’t “hate” Ed that much now, can I?

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:29 pm

chrisom wrote:Either that, or they ditch singers all together, and the 3 Van Halen boys dive into Jeff Beck/Wired/Blow By Blow/There and Back-style progressive 3-piece fusion/rock/funk albums...

See, now THAT would be very interesting!! To see ED step out of his established comfort zone and push into new territory with his talent. The question is could he? And before anybody cries there goes Chief bashing EVH again I think it’s a valid question. Other than Jeff Beck has ANYBODY reinvented themselves to the degree Beck has? And as many times? Or is HE the freak of nature and the rest mere mortal rock gods? Think about it honestly, who else? Maybe Keef when he discovered open tunings? But that was still in the same vein. McLaughlin? Not as diverse as Beck going from Rod Stewart era to Blow by Blow. Really who else has reinvented their playing? I know Rik Emmit is super versatile in many styles but again not reinventing or breaking new ground. Maybe Ed has tried and it didn’t measure up to his standards.

Case in point was at my luthier’s in NYC waiting on a fret repair years ago when Rick Derringer and Johnny Winter came in to discuss some projects with Woody. THEY graciously waited for Woody to finish MY guitar first ( how’s that for a great story!!! ) While waiting they picked up a couple of acoustics and Derringer played some of the most amazing trad jazz I ever heard. Total Charlie Chrsitian / Wes Montgomery / Herb Ellis / Joe Pass, etc. I asked why he never put that on record. He said “nobody really cares about that in the rock world but I love it.”

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"