Angus Young Receives The Schaffer Replica

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

rdodson

Re: Angus Young Receives The Schaffer Replica

Post by rdodson » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:52 am

That is so great. Thanks for sharing, Solo!
Ron Dodson
Dallas
Romans 9:16

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:51 pm

Yes well done, I knew he was not tall....and I guess getting old, hopefully for a bit longer too :rock:
Neil

Roe
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Roe » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:38 pm

I've done brief testing with SG, gretsch (6131my), EJ strat, tele and DGT with a 45/100 that's on the bench. This pedal easily gives the classic angus tone from the late 70s and early 80s but it is also a great booster for other applications. I'm able to get a very sweet topend and fat mids as well as some compression (it seems to compress more when you crank the input pot). The box is the same size as the klon KTR. It ships with a 12v 1A power supply (Fil, is it really that power hungry?) It is less noisy than a classic treble booster, but still slightly noisy by modern standards
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

SoloDallas

Post by SoloDallas » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:32 am

Roe wrote:I've done brief testing with SG, gretsch (6131my), EJ strat, tele and DGT with a 45/100 that's on the bench. This pedal easily gives the classic angus tone from the late 70s and early 80s but it is also a great booster for other applications. I'm able to get a very sweet topend and fat mids as well as some compression (it seems to compress more when you crank the input pot). The box is the same size as the klon KTR. It ships with a 12v 1A power supply (Fil, is it really that power hungry?) It is less noisy than a classic treble booster, but still slightly noisy by modern standards
HA! hadn't been notified of replies from this thread - sorry for the delay in getting back to you all.

(Did J, that quote... is wonderful. Wrote it down!)

Roe, it is really this power hungry, yes it is. The reason is simple: it has the same original Shcaffer-Vega transformer and part of the original SVDS power needs. That is because of the internal amplifier. What we use as a boost was in fact, a monitor output amplifier (used to drive a speaker!). So that's why. We copied that entire circuit. The Pedal is 12v hungry, and the GT is 15v hungry (there's the VU meter to feed, too).

It is slightly noisy - yep - but mostly when you are not playing. When you are playing, the noise disappears. That's the original compressor design, and we kept it immaculate as the original. When we said it was a Replica, we meant it, fully. This is an exact replica of 1970s technology (1975/1976 originally and produced up to 1981). The original SVDS is much noisier, especially 30 years later (almost 40 actually) because of the FM transmission AND because of the fact that, as you all know, analog components will "rot" some over the years.

So comparing our units to an original, while getting the same exact sound, ours do sound cleaner and less hissy in contrast.

I am so gad you like it Roe; I know how much you have been studying AC/DC as well over the years; some of my research was actually thanks to you and I will always give credit where credit is due.

Leaving you all with one of my recent videos to keep you some company :D

(1979 Marshall 2203, 1973 Celestion G12Ms, 1971 Gibson SG Standard, Schaffer Replica GT Edition; recorded with an original - as on the album - vintage Neumann U47 FET and mixed with the latest Universal Audio Neve 1073 EQ/Preamp, similarly to what AC/DC tracked and mixed with at the time, in 1978)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2K1f0vaJZU[/youtube]

Roe

Post by Roe » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:34 am

Fil, thanks for explaining. I did a little A/B/C test of the schaffar, klon ktr, and roger mayer voodoo boost tc (the two latter used as clean boosts or as boost with light overdrive). The Schaffer is an excellent boost that stands comparison with the klon and others. It sounds a little more compressed than some other clean boosts, colouring the tone in a very musical way
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SoloDallas

Post by SoloDallas » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:43 am

Roe wrote:Fil, thanks for explaining. I did a little A/B/C test of the schaffar, klon ktr, and roger mayer voodoo boost tc (the two latter used as clean boosts or as boost with light overdrive). The Schaffer is an excellent boost that stands comparison with the klon and others. It sounds a little more compressed than some other clean boosts, colouring the tone in a very musical way
Thanks brother, it fills me with happiness to learn that you - too - found the same conclusions that I did (I have/had the Klon and others for years). Indeed, it does compress: that is the companding system (compressor/expander) that was a salient part of the original System. The transmitter (X10) had a compressor on its board, that was simply necessary at the time for FM (frequency modulation) transmission. The black knob visible on the X10 (image) was a "compressor sensitivity" circuit that was used "... to match the instrument to the 63EX receiver..." (literally from Ken Schaffer, 1979). That same knob is the LEFT knob on your Pedal/GT Schaffer Replica. The right knob on the Replica instead is the monitor output knob on the original SVDS, and it drives the output on the internal amplifier that served (serves) as a clean boost.

The two circuits worked together through FM transmission and are still bonded strongly together in the replica thanks to our engineering integration (both conveniently on the same circuit board), giving that unique (sometimes slight, some other times more noticeable) coloration that... works musically.

[ImageE18G1843 by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Imagepedal-promo-3b-small by SoloDallas, on Flickr

By the the way, this little video interview excerpt here shows something worthy of attention. It's Malcolm and Angus Young talking about the Schaffer-Vega diversity. I showed this video to Ken Schaffer days ago, and he was very amused (he's the one they will refer to as "...a looney guy from NYC". The inventor of the Schaffer-Vega Diversity System. After meeting again with Ang, he was pretty happy and he is now back in touch with them all - he was a friend of theirs at the time, having spent much time together (even at Glasgow, during the live "If You Want Blood, You've Got it").

In the video both Mal and Ang say "... it sounded great!". Which is why Angus was happy to get back that sound of his with the Replica. More news to follow about this... :champ:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TtTe6i2pg0[/youtube]

:clap:

Roe

Post by Roe » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:27 am

Fil, thanks for all the work with recreating this circuit. It's very nice to have the pedal option (instead of hunting for old wireless units). I'm gonna try the pedal with different amps once I've cleaned my bench and repaired a guitar

SoloDallas

Post by SoloDallas » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:52 am

Roe wrote:Fil, thanks for all the work with recreating this circuit. It's very nice to have the pedal option (instead of hunting for old wireless units). I'm gonna try the pedal with different amps once I've cleaned my bench and repaired a guitar
Thanks much Roe, I really feel this as a privilege, now that everything has worked out as it has (success). I don't want to miss a second of these months.

Please keep me in the loop with your thoughts while experimenting with different gear and the Schaffer Replica. Always interested in learning something new!

Fil :)

Joshabr1
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Joshabr1 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:13 pm

Having been a listener and reader of your stuff. I think this is awesome. Good for u fil. Oh and thanks for turning me on to Kossoff. I heard of him thru you. Life ain't been the same since.

SoloDallas

Post by SoloDallas » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:16 pm

Joshabr1 wrote:Having been a listener and reader of your stuff. I think this is awesome. Good for u fil. Oh and thanks for turning me on to Kossoff. I heard of him thru you. Life ain't been the same since.
Josh, beautiful, simply beautiful.

Thanks much brother.

tsma

Post by tsma » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:04 pm

I just need to make a quick addition to this thread. From all of Fil's clips, I think anyone can get a good sense of how the TSR pedal sounds.

I just want to comment on Fil's business practice.

There was a mixup with my TSR pedal order. Fil handled it EXACTLY like you would want someone to. He was more than generous and accommodating. Considering this is his first foray into building a product from scratch and selling it to the general public, I am duly impressed with his customer service.

You can trust this guy.

And the pedal kicks ass, too.

;)

-bryan

SoloDallas

Post by SoloDallas » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:36 pm

Bryan that was sweet - sorry for the late reply, sometimes I don't get the email updates -

Thanks! :toast:

white noise
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by white noise » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:40 am

Very cool story!!!

Not everyone gets to meet their Idol :worthy: and hang out with them, congrats on the Schaffer Replica.

SoloDallas

Post by SoloDallas » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:45 am

white noise wrote:Very cool story!!!

Not everyone gets to meet their Idol :worthy: and hang out with them, congrats on the Schaffer Replica.
Thank you Texan! (I was born in Dallas) :D

fivecoyote

Post by fivecoyote » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:12 pm

So cool, congrats SD. Question: Has he played it yet and have you rec'd any feedback from him about it?
At it awhile, still learnin'

Get woodalicious tonology factoid learnin' at http://www.WOODYTONE.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!