VINYL CORNER What's playin' on your table RIGHT NOW>

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

awangotango
Just the numbers in order: 13492

VINYL CORNER What's playin' on your table RIGHT NOW>

Post by awangotango » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:41 pm

\

UFO lights out ! tastes oh so good on it's vinyl platter And before that is was BAD co BADCO. original presses only!

there should be a category on the site for vinyl appreciation. Videos of collecctions, turntable discussion, guitar tones from the golden era etc. Since there is no category , at least this can be a thread where fellow vinylheads can shoot the breeze. I expect if you guys don't have a table you best git one soon. Time is too short to waste watching tv when there's vinyl to spin and guitar tones to be enjoyed

One of the perks of a an old technics turtable besides cranking out all the classics the way they were intended, is the ability to slow the record down. I like a a half step flat beacuse it's not too much and i can do it by ear/guitar. I am making a running list of all the tunes that react well to it becuase not all do. But when they do ! way cool tones and tunes.

ZZ top waiting for the bus
zz top la grange
dokken tooth and nail
scorpions can't love without you
Kill'emall - just about every tune - hit the lights for starters

or you could just take a puff but in that case, it slows down every tune! This technique is basically like taking a selective toke during regular business hours. Once you find teh good ones on the Turntable you can record them to WAV and have it in the half step form forever. When one pops up on the random set sansa player it's like, Whoa , now this is where it's at !
Last edited by awangotango on Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

hammered

Re: Tunes One half step flat. A running list

Post by hammered » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:20 pm

awangotango wrote:One of the perks of a an old technics turtable besides cranking out all the classics the way they were intended, is the ability to slow the record down. I like a a half step flat beacuse it's not too much and i can do it by ear/guitar. I am making a running list of all the tunes that react well to it becuase not all do. But when they do ! way cool tones and tunes.

ZZ top waiting for the bus
zz top la grange
dokken tooth and nail
scorpions can't love without you
Kill'emall - just about every tune - hit the lights for starters

or you could just take a puff but in that case, it slows down every tune! This technique is basically like taking a selective toke during regular business hours. Once you find teh good ones on the Turntable you can record them to WAV and have it in the half step form forever. When one pops up on the random set sansa player it's like, Whoa , now this is where it's at !
Tooth and Nail was originally recorded a half step down . The Scorpions stuff sounds good a half step down , live at least from `82 on they always tuned a half step down as can be heard on World Wide Live

awangotango

Post by awangotango » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:10 pm

That's not what I mean. I understand some records were recorded with the guitar tuned down a half step.

What I'm talking about is listenting the the actual album tuned down a half step. Whether the guitars were recorded at e440 0r half step down is not the point. I find some tunes sound perfect at the slower speed. everything slows dow and goes down in pitch. vocals, drums guitars etc....the whole vibe of the tune changes.

I do it with my turntable, I can't vouch for whether it sounds as good if you do the pitch manipulation using digital software. Might work that way too, not sure if it sounds different or not than a turntable

awangotango

Post by awangotango » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:38 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvQINUU ... JTrzKLiWGV

found this diggin through the record crate. this one sounds great at both speeds.
semi clean marshall grind ! man this is good

one of the joys of vinyl is that it lets you crank it up withought that harsh digital flat midrange glare. turn up vinyl just look a good marshall and it jut gets deeper !

here's some tips if you're going to get into vinyl again to enjoy all our favorite old tones. I'd get an old inexpensive Direct drive tecnhnics or pioneer etc. Belts can be fine but our music seems to sound best on DD,

for carts, I would recommend you get an old 70-90's grado. Because they are decent and easy to find. Alot of the modern carts do not sound natural and we need a marshall to sound like it should, a hiwatt etc. new grados are still decent.

the old ortofons were good but the new ones can soun wrong enough to distract.

Sound changed in the 90's and it's hard to get it right by listening to modern gear unless it's really well made and natural an uncolored. easier just to get the old late 70's gear. it's cheaper too !

demonufo

Re: VINYL CORNER What's playin' on your table RIGHT NOW>

Post by demonufo » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:37 am

As a lifetime sufferer of perfect pitch I could not abide slowing a record down. The pain would be unbearable. :D
Also I do not like the affect on slowing down human voices, and piano is pretty horrid too. Wow and flutter is increased massively in this way and the feel is not the same as lower pitching and playing slower live.

With that out of the way, currently I'm spinning Jimi's Crash Landing on an original pressing. Later reissues are horrid in comparison. This morning it was The Strokes -Is This It. I was in a funny mood. :D
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:53 am

I'm playing 'NICOLETTE' (Larson) at the moment. Been switching it out with Van Halens "Whiskey & Gin" bootleg album. The speed is a tad quick on this bootleg album (wish I had a turntable that I could adjust that on :o ), but the tone of the soundcheck for the Pasadena Civic is SO much better than a CD copy. This bootleg album has a mix of stuff from like '75 or '76 up to the New Years Eve/Day shows at the Whiskey :thumbsup:
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:44 pm

Ben E. King Live at the Apollo...

awangotango

Post by awangotango » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:05 pm

I agree, but some tunes just sound perfect at the slower speed. I tell ya check out the tune, tooth and nail from dokken at a half step down and tell me that tune was not meant to be heard that way ! don sounds natural, the tempo is perfect. guitar tone is still true.

just got back from the local record store. picked up a copy of cinderella night songs. some killer guitar tones on that one ! great recording and production. raw but sweet !

I also recently got a copy of the original european press of kill em all. the two record version direct metal mastered. Holy crap does it sound good. (but the standard silver label megaforce press sounds amazing as well). reissues and half speed masters not as much.

I like direct metal masters for alot of the old rock. Maiden caught somewhere and 7th son came in DMM and steve's bass was meant for that type of mastering. The albums came out on both standard and DMM. I believe the british presses had the DMM. Same with dokken back for the attack and the 1987 whitesnake. It can be found DMM and sounds great. TT quick metal of honor is another one and some others I forget at the moment, all came in DMM versions and i recommend seeking them out. The overall sound is a bit cleaner and more bold.

demonufo

Post by demonufo » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:23 am

I remember the first generation of half-speed masters and was not impressed. Neither were Steely Dan when all of a sudden their meticulously produced classic albums ended up overblown with bass. I'll bet the mastering engineer was pleased with himself though. :shock:
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

awangotango

Post by awangotango » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:20 pm

half speed masters are a gimmick

direct metal mastering has nothing to do with half speed masters. direct metal mastering is mastering not to a laquer disc but a metal one resuting in different instrument tone and dynamics.

awangotango

Post by awangotango » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:17 pm

it's lunchtime.....got great white spinnin' on the deck. Well done niven and wagener ! once bitten, original EP and shot in the dark

side note, wow does jack sing like dave king from fastway or what ! love it

awangotango

Post by awangotango » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:18 pm

the the table tonite is ozzy with randy, the double album live tribute. Man does this album rip on vinyl. must get yourself a copy of this one if not already

besides bark at teh moon and ultimite sin. this ozzy Lp scream on vinyl. man o man. This is how randy's marshall should sound !!!!

you guys must be spinning vinyl if you love 70s and 80's rock n roll and guitar tone

awangotango

Post by awangotango » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:03 am

I'm literally rockin' my balls off to HEAVEN's where angels fear to tread. Damn on vinyl these guys marshalls just cut so sweet. Great riffs. I've been stealing licks and song ideas left and right. I've got enough for at least a half dozen tunes! There's so many old early 80's bands that have a ton of riffs and licks to steal. The first heaven albums fit that bill ! But not on CD. The guitars just do not have IT.

recorded at Cherokee studios CA. Man they got a great sound out of that studio. The drum kit, vocals, bass, guitar all of it. Raw rough around the edges but lots of hooks. tone that is cutting but sweet. Miles away from current tastes.

awangotango

Post by awangotango » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:16 pm

The problem I think with cd is you can't go as far into the sound as you can with vinyl. With vinyl you melt right into the middle of and with digital, there is a wall almost, somekind of invisible but real wall that prevents this., we gettin' old don't know about you but vinyl is like hearing it like a kid again. plus you can crank the volume without pain or irritation when using analog vinyl

don dokken up from the ashes is on vinyl. very hard to find but got a copy today. sounds nice. pressed in france 1990
Last edited by awangotango on Fri May 08, 2015 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:30 pm

Had on ACCEPTS first one. That song "No time to lose" has a great Hoffman solo in it, all harmonized and elegantly worked out :thumbsup: . Udo also actually used his 'natural' voice on that one.....No gruff screaming or falsetto's.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)