Jake E Lee

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

T.L.

Jake E Lee

Post by T.L. » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:16 pm

I'm real happy he's back in the game. He's touring with EVH amps & cabs.
Can't stand his singer though...especially after Ray Gillan.
He has the bass player from Badlands now, so it's half of Badlands.

awangotango
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Jake E Lee

Post by awangotango » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:43 am

he should be using a '72 marshall with a vintage cab. He should get a chick vocalist with nice tone and melodic sense. bark, ultimate sin and the first badlands are classics. great tone and playing.

T.L.

Post by T.L. » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:32 pm

awangotango wrote:he should be using a '72 marshall with a vintage cab. He should get a chick vocalist with nice tone and melodic sense. bark, ultimate sin and the first badlands are classics. great tone and playing.
Hey I never thought of that, but I agree. A good female Rock singer would really work wonders for that band.

awangotango

Post by awangotango » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:39 am

boss od 1 marshall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvDkO75Wdqk

this dude's got some timing and tone ! jake should search him out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLOjW7wO7XE

fivecoyote
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by fivecoyote » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:45 pm

What a great band that was. Saw them live once or twice, and they killed it. I never much liked Jake's tone for some reason, but man he could play. Hopefully still can!
At it awhile, still learnin'

Get woodalicious tonology factoid learnin' at http://www.WOODYTONE.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

awangotango

Post by awangotango » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:05 pm

his tone and the boss od1 has a different type of harmonics than say a more even harmonic tubescreamer and similar overdriven tube amp. a amp can also be dialed in to either scenario. he chose the more raw and rough approach that mixes odd and even harmonics. I would guess you have a preference for smoother even order. I like the mix and jake's tone was raw but also sweet. it was unique. see how nice even the jmp cleaned up with a volume knob on the guitar? who needs channel switching or clean channels.

FL6

Post by FL6 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:17 am

awangotango wrote:he should be using a '72 marshall with a vintage cab.
Any ideas as to why not?

awangotango

Post by awangotango » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:44 am

one guess: because the fender has more preamp gain and is easier to play.

fivecoyote
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by fivecoyote » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:20 pm

awangotango wrote:his tone and the boss od1 has a different type of harmonics than say a more even harmonic tubescreamer and similar overdriven tube amp. a amp can also be dialed in to either scenario. he chose the more raw and rough approach that mixes odd and even harmonics. I would guess you have a preference for smoother even order. I like the mix and jake's tone was raw but also sweet. it was unique. see how nice even the jmp cleaned up with a volume knob on the guitar? who needs channel switching or clean channels.
That's interesting. Not sure why I don't like it, but to me it always sounded "flubby," like the bass knob was turned up too far or something. Kind of like woofy and flubby. The fact that he did so much with that tone blows me away. But really it worked for him and he's awesome, just didn't sit well in my ears.
At it awhile, still learnin'

Get woodalicious tonology factoid learnin' at http://www.WOODYTONE.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

T.L.

Post by T.L. » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:35 pm

I loved Jake's tone with Badlands, but I wouldn't want to be stuck with that tone. I like variety.

awangotango

Post by awangotango » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:01 pm

The tone he gets on bark ultimate sin and badlands are all quite different but all have tons of character and tone to my ears. I wouldn't mind being 'stuck' with any of them. But whether he used the same amp is unknown. Even with the same amp, change the tubes and/or speakers or a pickup of the amp's settings and you can get many many tones from 'the same' old marshall.

awangotango

Post by awangotango » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:40 pm

while we're on the subject of loss of tone, I say another area where tone is lost in modern times is overly Low action. It's a big tone killer not just EQ but dynamics. Any riff with open strings will have less tone and character when the action is super low. When I do setups, at the nut, I go just as low as possible to avoid major intonation issues but not so low that the string has no bounce. When you have some 'action', and chords or single notes are pulled off from, the result is more tone and dynamics than if the strings are all super low. But again this goes back to the tendency for humans to take the easy road. Same with amp gain. Both of these things cause loss of tone and character imo and the 'struggle' each forces, is what separates the old classic tones from modern homogenized characterless tones. Both make playing easier and faster but you say less with more.

T.L.

Post by T.L. » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:29 pm

awangotango wrote:while we're on the subject of loss of tone, I say another area where tone is lost in modern times is overly Low action. It's a big tone killer not just EQ but dynamics. Any riff with open strings will have less tone and character when the action is super low. When I do setups, at the nut, I go just as low as possible to avoid major intonation issues but not so low that the string has no bounce. When you have some 'action', and chords or single notes are pulled off from, the result is more tone and dynamics than if the strings are all super low. But again this goes back to the tendency for humans to take the easy road. Same with amp gain. Both of these things cause loss of tone and character imo and the 'struggle' each forces, is what separates the old classic tones from modern homogenized characterless tones. Both make playing easier and faster but you say less with more.
Obviously it's preference, but I've found that no lower than 1/16" and no higher than 5/64" @ the 12th fret works very well.