Billy Squier - 1959 Super Lead/Frank Levi Mods

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

dc00283
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Billy Squier - 1959 Super Lead/Frank Levi Mods

Post by dc00283 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:36 am

Hello from the UK!

I've always been a big fan of Billy Squier's recorded and live tone - especially his earlier tones (before he seemed to gain a more aggressive, late 70's super lead tone).

I'm keen to experiment with my 1959 SLP reissue and get closer to his tone. I appreciate speakers, mic positioning and recording equipment have a big impact on tone. However, it seems like my super lead with the volume on 2 seems pretty thin and weak?

What mods would you suggest for a fatter, cleaner sound that maintains that Marshall "ringing" sound that Billy had?

https://youtu.be/mBLNixOH45w I also love Jeff's fat lead tone!

I got digging one evening, and found these quotes:

"I’ve got 10 or 12 of these heads that I’ve had since the early ‘70s. I have a few that are a bit later, but the ones I use are the old Super Lead 100s. Frank Levi reworked these for me over the course of many nights of creative abuse. He’d start out with an idea and I’d try it, and then we’d just keep going until we got what we wanted. I love the way these sound because they don’t compress. They have the classic Marshall tone, but don’t compress into that midrange ‘box.’ I set the volume around 2, but they sound like they’re on 12—they’re incredibly powerful.

As for cabinets, I use a 4x12” that has two Celestions and two old Altec silver cones, which haven’t been made since 1952. I have a bunch of those that I pair off. The Altecs give me the bright, clear sound without being brittle. They have a really nice balance—really clean with some warmth, too. The Celestions of course give me that classic breakup."

From an interview with Billy Squier.

"As for his amps, straight from him to me
Modded superleads from Frank that he took gain (and compression and "squish" out of he felt they were more open and punchy."

awangotango

Re: Billy Squier - 1959 Super Lead/Frank Levi Mods

Post by awangotango » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:04 pm

tips: forget about trying to get his tones using his rig (the super clean/bright speakers, the never to be known Levi mods). Instead you can get his killr tones with stock 4 input circuit of your choice (from plexi to metal specs) but better chance when leaning towards plexi specs. I'd use a 50w or a 100w with 2 tubes pulled, greenback M's (vintage if possible, or 1777 blckbacks or ''74 Ric cones. No master volumes, no cascades. Keep both bright caps in the amp - at 500pf at mixer and 5000pf at volume. And get yourself a tele or a guitar with a good vintage low output tele pickup. Put in a couple 50's or 60's preamp tubes (siemens, tungsram, RFT, sylvania, mullard ) and then you should be there if you have a decent marshall with original transformers. If not, just tweek a stock value or two here or there. His tone is basically a clean just on edge of breakup plexi with some tasteful oputput saturation. the levi mods from what i can tell, are just minor tweeks to the stock values that helped him get the tones at a lower volume. But he's passed, and unless someone gets into billy's marshalls, they will not be known.
from what i can hear, golub's amps where probably worked on be frank as well. killr silvery clean but saturated marshall goodness
, but none of it would be worth as much wiothout bobbychounard's swing

a coouiple deep cuts from pre and post classic era.his best of CD has some other great 90's tunes and tones

Capoe'd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwgzdV5nSu8
use youtubes tempo control and bring this one down 10%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXNirwX ... ss&index=3

dc00283

Re: Billy Squier - 1959 Super Lead/Frank Levi Mods

Post by dc00283 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:36 pm

Thanks for the detailed reply!

I had a 1987x before getting a 1959 reissue. The 1959 certainly seems to come closer!

His recorded rhythm and lead tones always sounded pretty full, compared to my 1959 with the volume below 6. I normally find the SLP sounds like it's missing something when turned down.

I'll try those cap values and start messing around with speakers!

Cheers,

Dan