Finished my build!

Detailed assembly steps separated into threads.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Ydna
Just the numbers in order: 7

Finished my build!

Post by Ydna » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:18 am

I don't have any pictures yet, but I'll try and figure a way to get them on the computer soon. (Although the build quality isn't what I'd call spectacular.)

Only thing is, Ceriatone gave me a 50k trim pot, which doesn't have enough resistance to bias. My dad is going to an electronics surplus store tonight, hopefully he can find a 100k pot, or I may just put a resistor in series with it. I cranked it up for a few minutes. Bold, clean, and punchy. Awesome sound. I'd like to try a boost in front of it soon. The ghosting isn't too bad, well, it doesn't bother me atleast. The thing that really surprised me, this amp is DEAD QUIET. No hum with the thing dimed. My PCB, modern, "better engineered amp" hums louder on 2 then this thing on 10. Love it.

So after tonight, it should be fully functional.

Used M erren transformers, they sound great. With the labeled 500v tap, I'm getting 460v on the plates, so once I have it biased up, and play it quite a bit, I may put it on the 560v tap, and see if my plate voltage would be clover to 500v.

I want to play this thing all day, but work gets in the way. Saturday, crankage will ensue.

Oh, and I've been bit by the amp building bug. I'm already planning in my head a 69 or 68 super lead build. Depending on if George is going to have any more chassis runs. Gonna go with lots of NOS parts this time. Either that build, or a Les Paul.

Ah. Its too early to play my amp, I have to wait an hour or so. I want to play it.

Edit: Pictures

~Current Amps~
1. 1963 Sano Supersonic
2. 1990s Fender Dual Showman
3.JTM45/100 Build

~Future Amps~
1. 69 Superlead
2. Lots of Metropoulos amps

Xplorer
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Finished my build!

Post by Xplorer » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:44 am

sweet build ! congrats on your new amp !