Hendrix BOG Pics?

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Do you think Hendrix was using a SuperBass on the BOG Fillmore East Concerts?

Yes a super bass
41%
No a super lead
59%

Total votes: 41

Bluesgeetar
Just the numbers in order: 7

hmmm

Post by Bluesgeetar » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:34 pm

What about the rumor that he used 6L6gc tubes in his Marshall amps alot when in the states. 6L6GC have a a lower sound floor and a rounder tone to me. Anyone tried some good old GE 6L6GC in their Marshall SLP or other Marshall. Also wouldn't BOG be about the right time for the first AXIS fuzz unit types.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:44 pm

I do know that hendrix played through some 6550 loaded Marshalls in '69, as well as '70. The Royal Albert Hall show in '69 sounded like 6550's, as well as the spring '69 stuff. I think that 'Woodstock' was el-34's(Super lead) judging by the Output tube distortion Hendrix was getting. The 6550's just stayed glassy clean, and didnt really break up much. I hear el-34 charecteristics in the BOG's tone (warm, early break up, etc), but in a Super Bass. I think that the affore mentioned 2 shows were in the minority from the '69-'70 shows, as most of them to me sound like 6550 tubes. I really dont think Hendrix had 6l6's in his amps, as that, simple as it is, was a mod that I dont think those guy's did. The 6550's are more readily swappable. I think that the fuzz was just a particuarly good, smooth germanium transistor fuzz Face. Here again, the Output tubes are alot to do with it. The El-34's gave Hendrix a great, brown overdrive break-up that he simply 'slightly' boosted with the Fuzz Face (the '68 shows, like Ottawa show this) Alot of the distorted sounds later were, imo,messed up due to the reliance on the Fuzz Face for having to make up the difference in break-up between the two tube types, not just the sillicon transistors.

Hendrixnut07

Post by Hendrixnut07 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:18 am

I also think the RAH '69 show was 6550's, you can really hear that BIG bottom glassy cleans on Stone Free. Listen to the intro he's rapping and says '' Blast from the past '' and strums an open E that sound is MASSIVE!!! :shock:

I thought about putting 6550's in my Superbass at one time for nuclear meltdown bottom end. :twisted:

MacGaden
Wiki Editor

Post by MacGaden » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:45 am

Tone Slinger wrote:I do know that hendrix played through some 6550 loaded Marshalls in '69, as well as '70. ...
Just curious: How do you know this ?
MacG.

"Play it right, Dad ! No More Dwiddely Dwiddely !
My son Adam at 3 years old. Best advice I ever got..

Rockerone

Post by Rockerone » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:51 pm

It's true about the 6550's, those tubes where changed in Jan '69 when he got his new Marshall 100 watt amps, by Yale electronics in LA on sunset blvd., I used to buy electronic parts there too up until about ten or so years ago when they closed.
This has been well documented, even here on the metroamp forum - that article from years ago...
Jimi wanted a cleaner and fuller sound, he really used his amps much like a very loud large fender with more headroom before distortion, mostly live the volumes where set at 5-6. It was more rare when he dimed the amps volumes, you can see and hear this on some of the live concerts, and he would use his strat volume control all the time, and would boost the amps with his modded fuzzface of his choice that day, and vox wah. He also used JBL speakers for a time in some positions of some cabs to get an even cleaner smoother tone, we are talking really loud with that FF boost and wah he used !

Those large output tubes changed the way the amp responded and explains that big powerful thump you here at many of those last 1 1/2 years of gigs. Those are also the tubes he was useing still at BOG concerts, so at that volume it's easy to confuse that output tube setup sound in a superlead, with a superbass set up's sound with EL34's !

8)

Hendrixnut07

Post by Hendrixnut07 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:01 pm

Rockerone wrote: Jimi wanted a cleaner and fuller sound, he really used his amps much like a very loud large fender with more headroom before distortion, mostly live the volumes where set at 5-6.
8)
Thats because he was used to that BIG clean 6L6 sound when he played Fender Twins with Curtis Knight etc on the Chitlin Circuit.

Also, the JBLs were in the ''15 Fender cabs that he ran the Dual Showmans through(check out Newport '69), the Marshall cabs were loaded with 55hz bass cones.

MacGaden
Wiki Editor

Post by MacGaden » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:08 pm

Hendrixnut07 wrote:
Rockerone wrote: Jimi wanted a cleaner and fuller sound, he really used his amps much like a very loud large fender with more headroom before distortion, mostly live the volumes where set at 5-6.
8)
Thats because he was used to that BIG clean 6L6 sound when he played Fender Twins with Curtis Knight etc on the Chitlin Circuit.

Also, the JBLs were in the ''15 Fender cabs that he ran the Dual Showmans through(check out Newport '69), the Marshall cabs were loaded with 55hz bass cones.
I still need some documentation on these claims. The Newport
MacG.

Hendrixnut07

Post by Hendrixnut07 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:19 pm

[quote="MacGaden"]

MacGaden
Wiki Editor

Post by MacGaden » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:28 pm

[quote="Hendrixnut07"][quote="MacGaden"]

MacG.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:03 pm

My 'documentation' is also my ear's, though I have read and spoken to people claiming the same. I also for many years thought BOG's was a 6550 loaded Superlead, but many of the '69 and '70 bootlegs display the 'true' sound of a Marshall with 6550's. Like mentioned before, big, glassy fender sorta sound, not that big warm tone of a certain Marshall with el-34's.... a super bass is the difference, not 6550's. That warm smoothness is gone with the 6550's. Hendrix felt "forced" into the whole BOG's thing, and I think he made it a point to do something different, good or bad, as compared to the Experience. He had never contemplated recording a 'Live' album. It's pretty obvious that he wanted a fuller type sound in a trio for a live album. Weak pick-ups, thin neck, skinny strings and a new '69 SuperBass. Thats what I'd bet on.

carlygtr56
Banned

Post by carlygtr56 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:01 pm

Tone Slinger wrote:I also think Hendrix must have by chance plugged into one of Cox's NEW super bass amps, and liked it during Dec. or so in '69. He obviously was getting a rounder sound with a bit more headroom, all attributes of a Super Bass. The Baggy's rehearsal also has this sound. I think ultimatly that Hendrix went back to the Super Leads shortly thereafter due to the more cutting tone he could get with them, I guess the Super Leads possibly 'threw' the sound more outdoors or something. Also, all the late 60's strats that I've played, as well as 70's, all have moderatly weak pick-ups. This would be a big plus when playing through a Super Bass, as the low end wouldnt get out of hand and wobble too much.
Well, Cox didn't use Marshalls for BOG. that's #1
Furthermore , it you check out Jimi Plays Berkeley, 5/30/70, it shows Cox playing thru Super Tremolo amps (extra knobs)
If he had NEW Super Bass amps, where are they?

I find this speculation of guessing Jimi had Super Bass amps for just BOG to be total BS. Most of the variations you think you hear are the different recordings and halls.
Nobody has a pic of ANY Jimi amp with 6550's.

Everybody believes that old GP artical, which was riddled with BS, IMO.

Beyond all that, the key to getting Jimi tones is learning the material and attitude. Then you can plug into any shitbox and get THAT sound.

MajorWatt

Post by MajorWatt » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:47 pm

Another part of the "vintage" tone equation that most overlook is the curly cords. They are like a built in high filter themselves. Never saw any superbasses on Jimi's side of the stage. Take a superlead, turn the treble down to 2 use a whack of curly cords with several stomp boxes and you'll notice a loss of highs too. Ever notice how many treble boosters were used back then?
Also the rumour of Page and Hendrix using Majors is another urban legend that I haven't seen proved yet. :wink:

carlygtr56
Banned

Post by carlygtr56 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:52 am

Also, if you hear the raw BOG recording....ones made from the audience and different soundboards of the different nights, they don't sound like the original BOG album we all know and love.

I agree on the curly cheap cords, the effects loading down, etc.

Star*Guitar

Post by Star*Guitar » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:52 pm

basile865 wrote:i havent heard his stuff but it looks like a late 70's jmp, i work at guitar center and we have a 78 that is identical looking to that, even though the tone still isnt anything close to hendrix's bog tone. Im suprised more people think it was a super lead than a super bass. Anyways thanks for the input guys, keep me posted on any new finds

Huh??? Didn't Hendrix die on 1970? I think it would be pretty hard to play a late 70's JMP. More likely a late 60's...He died in Sept 18th 1970....
Star*Guitar

MajorWatt

Post by MajorWatt » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:02 pm

Star*Guitar wrote:
basile865 wrote:i havent heard his stuff but it looks like a late 70's jmp, i work at guitar center and we have a 78 that is identical looking to that, even though the tone still isnt anything close to hendrix's bog tone. Im suprised more people think it was a super lead than a super bass. Anyways thanks for the input guys, keep me posted on any new finds

Huh??? Didn't Hendrix die on 1970? I think it would be pretty hard to play a late 70's JMP. More likely a late 60's...He died in Sept 18th 1970....
I think he is referring to Randy Hanson, not Jimi. :wink: