Anyone ever built their own Fuzz Face?

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

carlygtr56
Banned

Post by carlygtr56 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:06 pm

Just for the record, the original BOG album version of Who Knows has no fuzz in it.

That's his straight sound.

basile865
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by basile865 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:17 pm

It probably is just his straight sound in the beginning, but to me when i add a really tiny bit of fuzz on my setup it just warms everything up, and Im talking a TINY bit, barely noticeable. Its probably because he's so loud that hes getting a natural overdrive and I find using a tiny bit helps fatten up the sound at around 4 or 5 on the volume.

He mustve been using fuzz towards the middle and end of the song though during the heavier solo.

If its straight his clean sound then itd seem like not 6550's because they dont really break up like that i wouldnt think.

ohmygodtheykilledkenny

Post by ohmygodtheykilledkenny » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:57 am

For Curly Cables, I've never spent more than like 11 bucks per cable. :lol:

This is a better one than I have http://www.get-it-all.net/store/product ... cts_id/295

This is like the ones I have, and this is where I bought them, amazingly fast service http://www.get-it-all.net/store/product ... cts_id/298

What kind of 75 watt speakers are they (typical 75 watt celestion?)? That could have a lot to do with it as well, since the speakers I have are inherently dark, which allows for more treble to be used.

Travis
If yer ears ain't ringing, yer amp ain't singing! -JimiJames

carlygtr56
Banned

Post by carlygtr56 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:43 am

basile865 wrote:It probably is just his straight sound in the beginning, but to me when i add a really tiny bit of fuzz on my setup it just warms everything up, and Im talking a TINY bit, barely noticeable. Its probably because he's so loud that hes getting a natural overdrive and I find using a tiny bit helps fatten up the sound at around 4 or 5 on the volume.

He mustve been using fuzz towards the middle and end of the song though during the heavier solo.

If its straight his clean sound then itd seem like not 6550's because they dont really break up like that i wouldnt think.
Its the straight sound all the way thru till he uses the wah and later the Octavia.

Check this Who Knows. At 3:50 THATS what it sounds like when he smacked his fuzz on-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcgTnFp3 ... re=related

908ssp

Post by 908ssp » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:15 am

At about 20 sec in he says "let me get the fuzz" is he turning it off?

carlygtr56
Banned

Post by carlygtr56 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:25 am

908ssp wrote:At about 20 sec in he says "let me get the fuzz" is he turning it off?
LOL, YES!! He was coming out of a killer fuzzed out Auld Lang Zine.
He turns the fuzz off and goes into Who Knows.

That clean/dirty base Marshall tone I've wanted my whole playing life!!!
I've never heard it duplicated.
Closest I ever got was thru a '68 small box 50 watt Marshall back in '72.

It had that sound with a Strat straight in.... with more treble, it was like Johnny Winter.

ToneBone

Post by ToneBone » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:58 am

I always thought he said, "Don't forget the fuzz!"

basile865

Post by basile865 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:14 pm

Im gonna get that damn tone one day I promise haha. I think with the right speakers and 3 full stacks cranked we'd all be pretty close too. As for right now, my reissue and a tiny bit of fuzz gets it sounding good.

basile865

Post by basile865 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:26 am

Compared the germanium to silicon back to back tonight. I actually think I preferred the germanium because it did seem more well rounded and smoother. Funny enough Im not sure if I really care for fuzzy fuzz. I was trying them through a crappy little peavy practice amp though and not a loud plexi.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:04 pm

I hate a fuzz face,period(.) They sound terrible to my ears. Like when Stevie was using one on the 'In Step' album, it didnt sound as good as when he used the Tube Screamer on the same album. It tracks bad and takes a certain 'tone' out of the sound when sustaining notes. BUT, Hendrix used them. Still, I can hear alot about alot of his tones that kinda suffered due to the Fuzz Face. He got lots of great results due to his actual amp volume and output saturation, as well as his playing style being not made up of many 'fast' or 'intricate' type runs. A fuzz face tracks horribly and leaves lots of 'nassaly' sorta 'ghosted' sounds all around the edge's. Gilmours solo on 'Time' is an example of this (Fuzz Face).

basile865

Post by basile865 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:11 pm

Im really interested in seeing if this guy was using a fuzz or something else - its through a peavy classic, I made a post about him - Stan Skibby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sBXJxeO9Pw

Check it out, his tone is really about dead on what I want.

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:42 pm

Tone Slinger wrote:Gilmours solo on 'Time' is an example of this (Fuzz Face).
Probably because thats not fuzz. Not according to the engineer. Some rag I had ran a whole thing on the recording of that album complete with how they put together the 'first' sequenced parts in that album.

csteward

Post by csteward » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:32 pm

I have to rebuild my dunlop one, it's dead.