Woodstock Tubes (An Expedition)

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Xplorer
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Woodstock Tubes (An Expedition)

Post by Xplorer » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:47 pm

as you like, but you're perhaps testing them with the wrong "filter", split cat, so they won't sound like they should, to lead you to the right tubes. that's all i'm saying, just to help, because you may try many different tubes, without finding what you're looking for, just because of this, just because of one wire that makes a big difference. that's a possibility. and who knows, you perhaps already have the right ones, but you can't hear them sound like you'd want to, and now you're looking for some others, and then some others again ..

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:01 pm

Yeah I understand what you're saying. I'll hit that bridge when I come to it, if I need to. But honestly I'm super close to the Woodstock tone already and I love the tones coming out of my amp since putting in some nos preamp tubes, and I know I need NOS glass in the power section regardless to get all the way there.

Which is why I'm trying to figure out if it's OK to "settle" for xf4's, or if there's something more that I'm going to be missing and want that the xf2's have.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:08 pm

you should do some clips :

with the current tubes, split cathode

with the current tubes, shared cathode,

and from there, some good advices may arrive about nos glass, also about these xf2, and at this point you may know if you're still interested into these xf2 / xf4 stuff or not. but it's your $$$ after all :wink:

Cheech

Post by Cheech » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:05 am

I would love to hear the difference!

yladrd61

Post by yladrd61 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:41 pm

Unfortunately there are XF2's but they are out there but they are very expensive and you you need a matched set, I would try to find a set of Matched NOS Tesla EL34's {Not JJ) . Or some German RFT's . XF4's are good too if they are made by Amperex in Holland.. The hard part is finding a Matched set with low hours on them !!!!

Brandon

Re: Woodstock Tubes (An Expedition) UPDATE

Post by Brandon » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:26 pm

So just a little update....

I got a hold of some Mullard Xf2's and had them biased at Tone Merchants out here in California.

Right now I've got all NOS mullards in the power and preamp sections and I have to say.... it's pretty awesome. :mrgreen:

I haven't played it with my strat yet (it's in the shop and I have Slider's '69's with NOS parts on their way), but with my SG I've noticed there's a much stronger bottom end, more full, cleaner, more dynamic and responsive tone.

Much more crunchy.

I will update with some audio once I get my strat all fixed up! :mrgreen:

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:20 pm

Brandon wrote: My amp right now is tending on the warm and smooth side where as I'm trying to get it more chimy, clanky.

The preamp tube in the pic is an RCA not GE, and if your tone is too warm and smooth try one or more 7025A preamp tubes (actual NOS) if available. Remember 7025A dual triode tubes were used in Fender amps and had more cut and clarity (or more gain) than your typical 12AX7A tube.

Brandon, I have an idea that I think will help to point you in the proper direction in your search for the ultimate tube. I have a THD Bivalve amp that is class A and can take most kinds of 9 pin preamp tubes and most kinds of 8 pin power pentodes tubes. This amp has been invaluable for "testing" purposes and has allowed me to suss out what I do and do not like about certain tube types (and/or) brands. THD Univalve and THD Bivalve amps even allow used tubes to be installed and automatically bias adjust according to the requirements of the tubes being used. Either of these two amps are the ultimate "test amps" for "sussing out" tubes. Whether you own a THD amp or not, if you at least had access to one of these THD amp models (plus a boxful of tubes), it would help you to narrow down what it is that you are looking for. :rockon:

yladrd61

Post by yladrd61 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:33 am

Cool Brandon I am sure it will sound killer with the Strat, I just got a Set of the East German RFT EL 34's I will let you know how they sound compared to the Teslas I have in there, I also have Mullard, Brimar, Mullard in my preamp Yah I just picked up a Lefty Strung righty MIJ '68 RI Strat same color as Jimi's from Woodstock :jimi:

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:40 am

Yeah I'm excited to get my strat together! And also I need to get some rfts to test out in the pre amp section

jcs

Post by jcs » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:41 am

You're going to have to get your whole signal chain the same as Hendrix did at that gig, but you're on the right track for sure.

Gotta get that Hendrix Fuzz Face (if you don't have one) and get that little monster mastered...i have one of the reissue red Dunlops with red dot NKT 275's germaniums, it was a real bastige to get dialed in!

As for Mullard 12ax7, i've been hording for 30+ years, most are pretty middy gainy but those XF2 EL34 are outstanding, you can pummel the crap out of them with all sorts of crappy od pedals and they stay focused without getting hard and too bright imo.

I like a mix of 12ax7 in my 71 Smallbox 50 Marshall just depends on my mood and the guitar and kind of riffs i want to play.

yladrd61

Post by yladrd61 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:39 pm

Yeah the Blue Hendrix Fuzz Face sounds awesome it has a lot more bottom end than any other fuzz face, you do have to dial in the bias on the trasistors it has pots under the board. :jimi: Try plugging into Top Right Input if you like that better try shared cathode you only have to move one wire on the board. I put my 1970 Super Lead ( Same Circuit as '69) back to split and Hi Treble Channel was thin and trebly on the bridge, put it back to shared got all my bottom end back :jimi:

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:36 pm

yladrd61 wrote:I also have Mullard, Brimar, Mullard in my preamp
Good choice! I tried this setup and it's nice :jimi: ;)

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:36 am

Probably a proof that the post processed recording that we know of woodstock had a huge impact on the woodstock sound..
Thought that you'd be interested for your tone quest as this sounds ... Different.
Unreleased woodstock song. Yes ! And beautiful. Love it. Larry lee singing. Song from the impressions, 1961, gypsy woman .

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=39404" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:51 am

And this ... IMO , sounds............... Shared cathode

frenchie

Post by frenchie » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:38 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOTrjKbCkFM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

he says it in the page 9 of the comments below the video .... 100w superbass ... so yeah ... most probably shared cathode