James Marshall Hendrix

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:07 pm

carlygtr56 wrote:[
New scam....lookalike sex tapes. Only took 40 years to surface. LOL
Yeah no shit, eh Carly?
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

electricskychurch

Post by electricskychurch » Thu May 01, 2008 5:24 pm

too much to write here except he's my favorite guitarist for more than 20 years ( knowing i have maybe 1700 to 2000 lp's at home and there's many other good guitarists to compete !)

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Sat May 03, 2008 11:49 am

Unedited Who Knows from BOG New Years Eve show, killer jamming and sound....... :D :D :D :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcgTnFp3nTE
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

carlygtr56
Banned

Post by carlygtr56 » Sat May 03, 2008 4:29 pm

yngwie308 wrote:Unedited Who Knows from BOG New Years Eve show, killer jamming and sound....... :D :D :D :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcgTnFp3nTE
yngwie308
great version!

Happy New Year......Goodbye 69
What You Can Do For Me
Is Kiss My Behind

Great example of his clean Marshall tones. He uses the Fuzz in this one, unlike the original BOG album version. Right at 3:50

This is a 9 minute sermon. relentless backbeat from Buddy, steady bass from Cox.
Pure sound and feel. Has nothing to do with technique, speed, etc.

out of focus
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by out of focus » Tue May 06, 2008 4:23 pm

That is great stuff 8)

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Wed May 07, 2008 11:11 am

I just started reading Mcdermott & Kramers Hendrix book. They talk about when Jimi first went to England. Chas Chandler ran into Clapton and I think Ginger Baker and told them about his new artist. Cream was just starting out and they invited Jimi to come jam with them at a local show. Jimi was invited up after a few songs and went into Killing Floor I think. After a few bars Clapton put his guitar down and went back stage. Chandler thinking Clapton was pissed found him shaking with a cigarette looking for a match. Clapton said to Chandler "That fucking guy is GREAT!!!!!"

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

ToneBone

Post by ToneBone » Wed May 07, 2008 11:32 am

I was listening to Pali Gap on headphones last night and it occured to me that even after 40 years of listening to every bit of Hendrix audio and video I could get my hands on, and listening to every LP literally hundreds of times, I still hear new things I didn't notice before. To me that's what puts Jimi up there with Mozart and all the other greatest musicians who ever made music. Even though Jimi blasted audiences with scorch and burn, the beauty of his music lies in the subtle nuances that always amaze me.

chad

Post by chad » Wed May 07, 2008 11:45 pm

NY Chief wrote:I just started reading Mcdermott & Kramers Hendrix book. They talk about when Jimi first went to England. Chas Chandler ran into Clapton and I think Ginger Baker and told them about his new artist. Cream was just starting out and they invited Jimi to come jam with them at a local show. Jimi was invited up after a few songs and went into Killing Floor I think. After a few bars Clapton put his guitar down and went back stage. Chandler thinking Clapton was pissed found him shaking with a cigarette looking for a match. Clapton said to Chandler "That fucking guy is GREAT!!!!!"
Yeah Chief,I read about that story in Guitar World a couple of years ago and thought that would be about what I would have done, even though I not a so called "God"! A very cool story indeed.

MacGaden
Wiki Editor
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by MacGaden » Thu May 08, 2008 3:31 am

ToneBone wrote:I was listening to Pali Gap on headphones last night and it occured to me that even after 40 years of listening to every bit of Hendrix audio and video I could get my hands on, and listening to every LP literally hundreds of times, I still hear new things I didn't notice before. To me that's what puts Jimi up there with Mozart and all the other greatest musicians who ever made music. Even though Jimi blasted audiences with scorch and burn, the beauty of his music lies in the subtle nuances that always amaze me.
What a great clip, great tone and playing. Jimi was the greatest improviser in Rock ever.. Listen to his solo in this: No recycled blues riffs here: Theme development, call-and-response, dynamics, just a steady flow of great ideas that connect together... It
MacG.

"Play it right, Dad ! No More Dwiddely Dwiddely !
My son Adam at 3 years old. Best advice I ever got..

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Tue May 13, 2008 12:01 am

Jimi as he would look today, all he needs, is a tear in his eye, like the old Indian commercial from the seventies.
That's what I loved about my Hendrix bootlegs, I could hear everything he played, warts and all, whereas those old enough to remember, at the time the butcher jobs done on Jimi's catalogue, especially the live albums, even when he was alive, was horrendous. Remember Hendrix in the West, ect. Thank God for the bootlegs, hopefully one day Experience Hendrix, LC, will get it together.
I was appalled when Buddy Miles died, absolutely no respect for one of Jimi's best allies.
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Loganp

Post by Loganp » Wed May 14, 2008 12:39 am

On, the topic of hendrix's gear there are many un answered questions. I was watching my Isle of wright DVD earlier and in the video section of the special features there is a clip of the DVD "the making of electric lady land" and it shows a live clip of Hendrix and redding playing through 3 or 4 Marshall Jtm45 offset heads. Then while watching the concert performance, All of Hendrix's heads had 3 switches instead of 2. I am guessing the 3rd is a polarity switch.

This website has good info in to his Amps and other gear.
http://www.musicplayer.com/article/the- ... ar-05/4046

It talks about how Hendrix prefered the sound of 5850 power tubes. That would corespond to 1 pic of "7026" where it appears to have 5850 power tubes, and in the other it is loaded with KT66 tubes. and how they got 8 new superleads in 69 and replaced the EL34 tubes with 5850 tubes, and switched out all the 25W speakers for 75Watts.

I want to know where all this gear ended up. I know some of it is accounted for at the experience music project and the " dickens " amp. but what about the other 7 or 8 marshall heads and cabs.

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Wed May 14, 2008 1:02 am

THis from a Blue Cheer member interview, see Blue Cheer thread under artists section for whole interview:
: With Population II were you able to get closer to the heavy amplification you wanted, but couldn't get, with Blue Cheer? I had no amps when I departed company with BC. I thought I would go Marshall again, then Sunn came in the picture.

When I ran into the Sunn amps, I plugged in my SG Standard and the sound was very mushy, flat and distorted. So much so that fast runs were a blur with no distinction between the notes. The SG/Sunn configuration was just as uninspiring as the Strat had been in the Marshall. That was another sound surprise. It confirmed I wouldn't go with Gibson if I did the Sunns.

I took the Strat and plugged it into the Sunns, and whammo, it was amazing, light years bigger, surprisingly good, quite a bit better than the previous SG and Marshall configuration. I noticed the Sunns had a mid-range frequency response, and my Gibson midrange turned the sound into mud. When I switched back to the Fender Strat its top and bottom frequency response coupled right up to the Sunns. When the 16 or so Sunns arrived, that was a rig. Although I could not get high end whirlwind fast passages out of it, as the notes would blur, I kept speed to a minimum. (Speed was never on my list of high priorities in music, except where appropriate to a musical passage itself. I used speed judiciously. I saw too many guitarists trying to be speed fanatics, and lose the sense of music, becoming technicians instead of musicians).

I was still puzzled why I couldn't get a good sound out of a Strat and Marshall combo, when Hendrix made that set up sing like a dove. Then one day, out of the blue, a friend of Hendrix (who was interested in managing my new band) borrowed Jimi's Strat and brought it over to my house for me to try out. Since I had only met Jimi once, and casually at that, he wasn't someone I knew intimately enough that he should let me check out his ax, so I had a question over exactly how this had come about. The guy bringing me the guitar was the one who introduced me to Jimi. That introduction was pretty uneventful, and was backstage in the dressing room before his last live show at the L.A. forum. Jimi seemed detached, not particularly interested in meeting anyone. Different than the previous extrovert exuberant image portrayed in the media. So it wasn't like I meant anything special to him, enough for him to have any memory of me to give someone his guitar to play, and let me in on the secret wiring trick. As irony would have it, a few weeks later Jimi died, and I hadn't thought about the incident again. I never forgot how beautiful that guitar of his given to me sounded, and played. Never had one like it before or since.

Q: Why do you think he came over with Hendrix's guitar?

R: It wasn't customary to give away your trade secrets to anyone. So what was the deal - who wanted something that I had, and why? What I had were the new Sunn amps that were secret, no one had or could get. It wasn't clear to me at the time, but there was more to it than met the eye.

This guy who hung around with Jimi began hanging around us quite a bit, coming to rehearsals, bringing his friends to our house, knew what I was doing, and was really into us. I didn't really know anything about him though, except he did introduce me to Hendrix, so he had established some credibility. I just didn't know where he was going with things. At the time he made the introduction, I have a recollection of him suggesting getting together and jamming, but I didn't see much meaning to it.

In retrospect, if he wanted to give me Jimi's guitar and sound secret to check out, and then set it up to bring Jimi around to check out my Sunn amps set up secret, he'd be doing something for both of us. But I didn't get what he'd get out of it, or how it would all shake out in the end.

What didn't feel right about that idea is what role Jimi would have had in the idea. My feeling tells me Jimi didn't have any idea what this guy was doing, and this guy was just working both ends, doing favors for both of us, with an objective of something in return for him down the line somewhere. That's as far as it's made any kind of sense to me. That's what seemed to be implied going on behind the scenes. What did not make any sense to me would be Jimi having any personal interest in anything I was doing, unless and except he had been told about me, and wanted the inside info on what I was doing, and what I had, from a competitor point of view. But that seemed a little cynical, unless somehow he was led to imagine I posed a threat to his crown, and he wanted what I had before I could use it, and to get close to me, and get my secret from me, I was given a secret of Jimi's as a pretty dramatic bait favor.

Regardless, he continued to tell me how Jimi's road technician came up with the idea of placing a resistor in Jimi]s guitars, in line between the pickups and the volume control that reduced the output, reducing the overdrive of the guitar, allowing the individual notes to come through, letting the overdriven amp produce the sustain. It made perfect sense. I never considered anything like that. But I plugged it in, and incredible, there was Jimi's exact sound, and everything he played was suddenly so easy to play it was magical, and effortless. It was totally beautiful. I was really taken aback by that. More yet, that particular sound made playing the guitar so easy, and effortless, with no struggle. It permitted playing anything I could imagine, as quickly as imagined. It was the dream sound. It was beautiful, and fun/enjoyable to use. There is nothing more enjoyable to a musician than a sound that allows them to play with ease anything they can imagine. Jimi had that sound.

The really amazing part to me was how on earth it was arrived at. I was told by the guy who knew him, who brought me that guitar, that it was an experiment done by tech guy who handled Jimi's equipment. I've always been curious at what point in time the idea became reality, since the sound is on Hendrix's first as well as future albums, and what thinking and circumstances led to it. From the explanation given to me, it took all of two minutes to cut the wire, and soder a resister in line. It was a really inventive piece of thinking, and solution. Like most things of that nature it was an experiment, but an experiment that worked. At first I thought my leg was being pulled. Until I plugged it in, and I never had a Strat either before or after that produced that sound. It was only that Strat of Hendrix given to me to mess around with, that had that sound. It was really amazing. I never was given the exact information of where the resistor was placed, or what load the resistor itself was. For that matter I can't remember if it was a resistor or a condenser, only that it was one of those items, and the explanation to me of why it was done.

I know for a fact that had I been able to keep his guitar I would have wreaked literal havoc on the rock guitar scene with it in conjunction with my Sunns. That would have been seriously damaging. I also know that had Jimi been able to get hold of my Sunns, and use his guitar through them, he would have cleaned my clock before I had the chance, and I would have stood to be accused of mimicking him.

Whatever that whole scene was about, the one thing I can say with direct certainty is my entire style of playing would have changed had I had that guitar, or mine wired like that one. It was completely different sound than what I had, even though what I had was completely different. That guitar was more musical - it bled music. Those are few and far between. There have been only two or three occasions in my life I picked up a guitar that just made music that wouldn't stop, and that was one of them.

But Jimi's Strat really had an incredible sound. The Strat I had, I hand picked direct from the Fender plant, and it was a good one as they go. I wasn't real interested in any risky experimenting with that one, since I couldn't replace it that easy if anything went wrong, if I did any wiring experiment not knowing exactly what I was doing, nor knowing anyone else who would know enough to understand it. Basically I forgot about it and kept doing what I was already into.

That guitar sure was a pretty singing bird though. Its secret passed into history with it's inventors. At the time it was in my hands, I really wanted to put it through the paces with my whole Sunn setup. It would have been a completely different sound than I was getting, but also would have been very different from Hendrix because of the amps. I really wanted to trot with that thing.
?????? :o :shock: :? :wink:
yngwie308

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Wed May 14, 2008 11:03 am

That sounds like a ton of bullshit, no?

A "secret" resistor? Sounds like this guy thinks quite highly of himself.

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

carlygtr56
Banned

Post by carlygtr56 » Wed May 14, 2008 11:08 am

NY Chief wrote:That sounds like a ton of bullshit, no?

A "secret" resistor? Sounds like this guy thinks quite highly of himself.

IMO absolute BS

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Wed May 14, 2008 11:31 am

Yes that's what I thought, thank God he didn't get to keep the guitar.
Jimi performed magic with his Stratocaster/Marshall/Fuzz Face/Vox wah/Univibe/Octavia combination, the main ingredient being Jimi himself.
This Blue Cheer guy took too much acid, imo... :lol:
yngwie308