James Marshall Hendrix

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

ToneBone

Post by ToneBone » Thu May 15, 2008 11:29 am

Billy Batz wrote:That little story is the kind of bullshit that gets parroted and fucks up any real discussion of someones tone.
Thanks, bro. :roll:

908ssp
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by 908ssp » Thu May 15, 2008 11:38 am

ToneBone wrote:
908ssp wrote:
There's one thing I had to do to it though to make it work just like Jimi's - the pots need to be rewired so they taper backwards, otherwise you're just turning regular right handed pots on a backwards guitar. I don't think anyone thought about this feature.
You're joking right? Why in the world would Jimi have changed any wiring? He didn't. He changed the strings and the intonation and played. He didn't even rotate the pickups the pole heights were all wrong. And even if he did rotate the pickups to get the pole heights correct he still wouldn't have to rewire the pots. :roll:
Hello? Jimi didn't do anything to his pots. He flipped over a right handed guitar. Now his pots would roll backwards. Think about it, man, then take your right-handed guitar, flip it over like Jimi did and check the pot rotation.
The backwards Hendrix strat is a right-handed PLAYING guitar with right-handed pots. The pots have not been flipped so they need to be wired in reverse so as to rotate the same way Jimi's upside-down strats did. This must be a real hard concept for people to understand because Fender didn't catch it, nobody I know noticed it and it's the only thing not backwards on the Hendrix tribute strat. Check it out for yourselves by flipping over your guitars and turning the pots. Sheez.
You're joking right? The pots don't change direction because you flipped the guitar over clockwise is up and counter clockwise is down in both cases.

ToneBone

Post by ToneBone » Thu May 15, 2008 11:41 am

908ssp wrote:
ToneBone wrote:
908ssp wrote: You're joking right? Why in the world would Jimi have changed any wiring? He didn't. He changed the strings and the intonation and played. He didn't even rotate the pickups the pole heights were all wrong. And even if he did rotate the pickups to get the pole heights correct he still wouldn't have to rewire the pots. :roll:
Hello? Jimi didn't do anything to his pots. He flipped over a right handed guitar. Now his pots would roll backwards. Think about it, man, then take your right-handed guitar, flip it over like Jimi did and check the pot rotation.
The backwards Hendrix strat is a right-handed PLAYING guitar with right-handed pots. The pots have not been flipped so they need to be wired in reverse so as to rotate the same way Jimi's upside-down strats did. This must be a real hard concept for people to understand because Fender didn't catch it, nobody I know noticed it and it's the only thing not backwards on the Hendrix tribute strat. Check it out for yourselves by flipping over your guitars and turning the pots. Sheez.
You're joking right? The pots don't change direction because you flipped the guitar over clockwise is up and counter clockwise is down in both cases.
I give up. Just try it and see..................

908ssp

Post by 908ssp » Thu May 15, 2008 2:51 pm

I did. I am right you're wrong. You don't change the direction of rotation because the guitar in upside down. Clockwise is still clockwise ...duh.

I can see one issue on a left handed guitar not right handed flipped if you wanted to roll the volume with your baby finger it would work better going the opposite direction. But Jimi hardly ever use a lefty guitar.

ToneBone

Post by ToneBone » Thu May 15, 2008 4:02 pm

?) Of course the pots themselves will still turn the same direction. Compared to the way we righties turn our pots it would seem to Jimi as if he was turning his pots backwards even though they are still being turned clockwise. He used his left hand on the controls while we use our right. Trust me, I'm not pulling your leg! :lol: Why is this so hard to understand??? :?
Apparently Fender didn't get it either, or didn't want to wire all the pots to rotate backwards on the tribute strat. :wink:

ohmygodtheykilledkenny

Post by ohmygodtheykilledkenny » Sat May 17, 2008 4:30 pm

Just picked up a copy of the Royal Albert Hall Shows from 69' on DVD (Bootleg much lol). Quite pumped to watch this.

Travis
If yer ears ain't ringing, yer amp ain't singing! -JimiJames

out of focus

Post by out of focus » Sun May 18, 2008 12:03 am

Cool deal ,man.. I wanna copy :wink:

ohmygodtheykilledkenny

Post by ohmygodtheykilledkenny » Sun May 18, 2008 1:28 pm

I'm terrible with technology, but my brother knows his stuff, he could very possibly burn me a copy of it and I could mail it to ya, if your really interested. :wink: 8)

Travis

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Sun May 18, 2008 3:30 pm

ToneBone wrote:
Billy Batz wrote:That little story is the kind of bullshit that gets parroted and fucks up any real discussion of someones tone.
Unless you think theres a secret resistor you add to the guitar that makes everything sound like jimi?

ToneBone

Post by ToneBone » Mon May 19, 2008 11:25 am

Billy Batz wrote:
ToneBone wrote:
Unless you think theres a secret resistor you add to the guitar that makes everything sound like jimi?
Yes, that story is a load of BS. LSD's one hell of a drug :shock:

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Mon May 19, 2008 1:04 pm

NY Chief wrote:
You mean like a variac turned way UP, or a f'd humbucker with one open coil or 2 JBL 120's in a cab with 2 greenbacks or an invisible microamp, D+ or "magic" pedal, etc, etc, etc.... :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That cracks me up Chief, !!! :twisted: :twisted:
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ohmygodtheykilledkenny

Post by ohmygodtheykilledkenny » Sat May 31, 2008 4:32 pm

Gonna break the silence in this thread..... :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdjTWkqi ... re=related

byfar the coolest Red House I've ever heard.

Apologies if someone has posted it in the past, I don't have time to look at all 340 responses. :lol:

Travis

Loganp

Post by Loganp » Sat May 31, 2008 4:40 pm

A pot is a resistor it self, So who knows if adding another one would do anything. My guess is it wouldn't

Mynameisfritz
Location: Germany, Krauttown - in the middle of some cabbage fields

Post by Mynameisfritz » Sat May 31, 2008 8:01 pm

byfar the coolest Red House I've ever heard.
I like that too - it's from the 'Scene Club' session with Morrison and (perhaps) Winter.
Martin
Soundclips

ohmygodtheykilledkenny

Post by ohmygodtheykilledkenny » Sat May 31, 2008 8:42 pm

Cool man, I'll have to try and procure some bootleggage of that set.

Travis