A practically religious experience...

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

ohmygodtheykilledkenny

A practically religious experience...

Post by ohmygodtheykilledkenny » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:01 am

So, my band has been doing some rough demos, and we've been using using cubase. Cubase has a reverse track function....

We listened to every song we could think of where jimi reverse tracked, played backwards so you get to here what he actually played in the studio.

Sorry, but I thought that this was awesome. BTW, most of it is extremely simple blues stuff. Try it out.

Travis the hendrix nerd
If yer ears ain't ringing, yer amp ain't singing! -JimiJames

basile865
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by basile865 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:52 pm

Yea thats always fun. I recorded third stone from the sun onto the microsoft sound recorder then sped it up and reversed it. The vocal track on the song is slow mo and reverse so now you can listen to it in real time forwards. Its pretty funny because I always thought that slow mo voice sounded so strange and intense and when you actually hear it - its just jimi and either mitch or noel redding pretending to be astronauts and laughing unstopably. Really cool stuff

ToneBone

Post by ToneBone » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:12 pm

basile865 wrote:Yea thats always fun. I recorded third stone from the sun onto the microsoft sound recorder then sped it up and reversed it. The vocal track on the song is slow mo and reverse so now you can listen to it in real time forwards. Its pretty funny because I always thought that slow mo voice sounded so strange and intense and when you actually hear it - its just jimi and either mitch or noel redding pretending to be astronauts and laughing unstopably. Really cool stuff
We want sound clips!! :D

basile865
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by basile865 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:47 pm

I dont have it anymore - its real easy to do though.

Plug a mic into your computer.

(Go to start - all programs - entertainment - sound recorder)

Go to microsoft sound recorder and hit record then play the song while holding the mic up to the speakers.

Then go to the sound recorder, reverse it and speed it up. Reverse and increase speed is under the effects tab. then hit play.

Mynameisfritz
Location: Germany, Krauttown - in the middle of some cabbage fields

Post by Mynameisfritz » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:29 am

We did such things just for fun even with my old Tascam 4-track back in the days, just by turning round the cassette while recording. Not only good for Hendrix. We had a song where we recorded AND sung the vocals backwards at the same time, going: 'Sdrawkcab era ew su pleh!!!'. You get a pretty weird accent from this...
Martin
Soundclips

Freedom
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Freedom » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:00 am

Mynameisfritz wrote:We did such things just for fun even with my old Tascam 4-track back in the days, just by turning round the cassette while recording. Not only good for Hendrix. We had a song where we recorded AND sung the vocals backwards at the same time, going: 'Sdrawkcab era ew su pleh!!!'. You get a pretty weird accent from this...
+100

I still have my Yamaha MT100II 4-track cassette recorder, used to do these things back on '94...

Another nice thing everyone should try is the increasing/decreasing the tape speed during the mix, Yamaha has a built in speed adjuster, you can get pretty spacy sounds... :wink:
Freedom of Music <=> Music of Freedom

monkface

jimi

Post by monkface » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:33 pm

The Hendrix box set has "third stone from the sun" where you hear them doing the slowed down stuff in real time. I believe it was Chas Chandler who was on the other end and he kept messing up his lines "we are in orbit around third stone known as earth. over..." all that stuff. It's funny, and then it's cool because you hear the original track right afterwards and then you can really understand what is being said! It's an amazingly cool piece of music anyway huh?!