First Time I ever Heard Him

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

basile865
Just the numbers in order: 7

First Time I ever Heard Him

Post by basile865 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:27 pm

I stumbled across this video on you tube, the second portion has hey joe. This was the first thing I ever heard him do when I was probably in 4th or 5th grade and that solo on hey joe still gets me. Great tone.

Says its from 69 and he's tuned down a whole step just like on BOG. Wonder if he was using heavier strings for a while tuned down a whole step always in this period?

Check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE80W5xYbTI

908ssp

Re: First Time I ever Heard Him

Post by 908ssp » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:04 pm

basile865 wrote:I stumbled across this video on you tube, the second portion has hey joe. This was the first thing I ever heard him do when I was probably in 4th or 5th grade and that solo on hey joe still gets me. Great tone.

Says its from 69 and he's tuned down a whole step just like on BOG. Wonder if he was using heavier strings for a while tuned down a whole step always in this period?

Check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE80W5xYbTI
You saw Jimi Hendrix for the first ever on YouTube? In 4th or 5th grade?

They didn't have an internet or even computers when I first saw Jimi Hendrix.

I love it when he say "I am going to stop playing this rubish..."

basile865

Post by basile865 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:14 pm

no there was this program called music central 96 that had that clip on it and I ate it up! over and over. I just re - found it on youtube

HARLEYIII

Post by HARLEYIII » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:24 pm

The first time that I actually remember hearing him, i was probably 6 or 7 years old (Im 31 now). My uncle (who's more like a big brother) was watching the old "Jimi Hendrix" movie. I can remember thinking that something about this crazy looking black dude with a guitar like my uncle's was cool. Something drew me to the music. My Uncle is a Jimi nut, and while growing up, exposed me to alot of his music.
My Marshalls aint feedin' back....They're Laughin' at your Line-6

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:32 am

I recall always 'knowing' 'Foxey Lady' and 'Purple Haze'. Sorta of inately, I had heard these coming up enough to where I was familiar. BUT, I dicovered Hendrix by way of Uli Jon Roth, really. I was 13 or so, and this was in '84. I didnt get the connection between the two at first, cause of the technical differences. When I got 'Electric Ladyland', and heard that riff in 'Gypsy Eyes', then I knew where Uli got 'Polar Nights' from. 'Machine Gun' was another point I got to that opened alot of doors. The extreme sustaining tone of it also was huge on Roth, as it was nearly everyone else who has ever heard it. I'm not saying Roth is a copy cat. He is totally original, but never hides his inluences.

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:06 am

Yeah I certainly always knew the songs which means Ive heard them since Ive been too young to remember. The first time I became aware of Hendrix tho was when I was about 11 in the Waynes World soundtrack.

basile865

Post by basile865 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:43 pm

Come to think of it I'd actually heard his name probably a year or so before I knew who he really was and what he could do. My parents got me my first guitar christmas of 3rd grade and I used to get lessons with this guy and my friend would take it at the same time. One day they mentioned Hendrix and I was like who's that? They both were like you dont know who jimi hendrix is!?! haha and I never really looked into him until a year later. I was into the beatles and simon and garfunkel and the beach boys - stuff my dad was into, way before I heard hendrix.

But that video of hey joe was the first thing I ever really heard and saw on that old microsoft program called music central 96. It had audio/video clips of a lot of great people and I just sat on it every day eating it all up. Its too bad they never continued something like that - it was really great.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:08 pm

My buddy was a Hendrix nut in high school ('74). I always thought Trower was better becuase he didn't amke "all those other noises" :oops:

Then we went to see the film "Jimi Hendrix" (at the Mini Cinema in Uniondale, fill & carly!). That's when I "saw the light" and realized that some of the parts I thought were sloppy was behind his back or with his teeth :shock:

Man, this Internet shit is great!

Check this one out! Claims to be the oldest known footage of Jimi with Curtis Night! Jimi's already doing the arm swipes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaIxswG7 ... re=related
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

basile865

Post by basile865 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:29 pm

Mars Hall

Post by Mars Hall » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:42 pm

I was 12 or 13. I went to my buddies house, his older brother had all these black light posters. On another wall was a Hendrix poster. So I said "Who's that?" "You don't know who the king of Rock-n-Roll is?" I was told it was Elvis, but I soon found out. I traded a Skynard album for Electric Ladyland and have been continuously inspired since.
"You just slide a bottle up and down til what you want out of it comes out. You just slide away at it til you've got it down." Duane Allman

HARLEYIII

Post by HARLEYIII » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:34 am

The King indeed. Elvis was the king of POP music. Jimi wrote the goddamn book.
My Marshalls aint feedin' back....They're Laughin' at your Line-6

nooneknows

Post by nooneknows » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:58 am

I discovered Hendrix quite late, back in '85 (I was 15) during the time I was U2 addicted, I started playing guitar that year.
I saw the Jimi Hendrix Movie on tv and got mesmerized by this guy. I bought Are you experienced? but for some strange reason it didn't catch me at first.
It was when I bought Jimi plays Monterey later (on a cassette) that, bang! he became my new hero