Jimi and JBL D-120F Speakers

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

frenchie

Re: Jimi and JBL D-120F Speakers

Post by frenchie » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:15 am

i just wanted to upload a pic i found somewhere showing up jimi caught red handed making a blend of speaker cabs between his usual stacks and his sunn 2X15 JBL loaded ....well it's not as if jimi wasn't used to do such thing ;

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Scumback Speakers » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:18 pm

Hey, no one has doubted he did it at times. It's still a question of whether they're actually hooked up and used, or if they're on stage for his endorsement deal he had with them.
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

frenchie

Post by frenchie » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:13 pm

this one was for shakti jim ...he said he believed jimi didn't use JBLs during his carrier ....little info added to that ; buck munger made a 5 years contract between hendrix and sunn amplifiers right after the monterey festival ...but hendrix broke the contract just 14 month after.......which makes around mid 68 for the end of the contract ( am i correct ? lazy mind tonight , i don't remember the date of monterey :lol: :oops: )

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:04 pm

The Monterey International Pop Music Festival was a three-day concert event held June 16 to June 18, 1967 at the Monterey County Fairgrounds in Monterey, California... according to wikipedia.
310-833-6632

frenchie

Post by frenchie » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:27 pm

mmm...so this photo was taken about three month after the contract broke between jimi and sunn ..approximately

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:06 pm

Well, if the caption is correct for the date. I think the fact that he broke the contract, and 99.9% of his career he used Marshall stacks pretty much says it all, though.

I just don't hear the JBL in his tone. I've got one now that's 22 years old, I had them 30 years ago, too. They were very piercing and had too hi-fi of a sound with boosts/OD.

I'm inclined to look at 6550 power tubes and other tone components more realistically than JBL's, personally.
310-833-6632

frenchie

Post by frenchie » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:21 pm

well in fact .. jimi have been said to kinda hate the sound of JBL by themselves only ( kinda beach boy sound indeed ) ... but the fact is that he used them and even after the contract broke , i personally think he may have broken the contract mainly cuz of sunn heads not really about the cabs , that's another possibility , after all if jbls were total shit i wonder why other big artists would have used them ... concerning jbl cabs maybe they become very harsh when pushed hard , i wouldn't be really surprised of it ...that's why the thesis of a miced 15' JBL pushed not too hard to prevent harshness and add a cleanish colour to his sound seduces me...just my two cent you know

ps ; i hope it's clear for everyone that i'm not making a contest out of this subject :lol: , in fact i just wan't to know the very truth about bog whatever it could be , i'm no one to impose my views to anyone , i'm sure the guys here have owned and tweaked far more amps and cabs than me , i just try to stay open minded to any possibility that's all :wink:

thousandshirts

Post by thousandshirts » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:14 pm

IMO this brings new meaning to the term "getting BOGged down"

shakti
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by shakti » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:19 pm

frenchie wrote:this one was for shakti jim ...he said he believed jimi didn't use JBLs during his carrier ....little info added to that ; buck munger made a 5 years contract between hendrix and sunn amplifiers right after the monterey festival ...but hendrix broke the contract just 14 month after.......which makes around mid 68 for the end of the contract ( am i correct ? lazy mind tonight , i don't remember the date of monterey :lol: :oops: )
Well, I do stand corrected in that he seems to have definitely used JBL equipped Sunn cabs at some point in (early) 1968. I forgot about those.

But, like Jim said, 99% of the time, you'll hear Jimi with Celestion-equipped cabs.

The above photo shows Jimi with his triple Marshall stack with (presumably) Celestions. Is he even plugged intp anything on the left-hand side, or is that for PA only?
JTM45 RS OT, 1973 18W, JTM45/100, JTM50, JMP50 1986, JMP100 "West Coast", AC15, AC30, BF Super Reverb, Boogie Mk 1, Hiwatt CP103, DR103

frenchie

Post by frenchie » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:28 pm

thousandshirts wrote:IMO this brings new meaning to the term "getting BOGged down"
man you wouldn't imagine one second how many times i listened to this live :lol: ....this one and the winterland are the only cds i have for which i have made backups ....i destroyed both of them at least two times just listenning to them on my portable cd .... :lol: hopefully now there is mp3 ( lesser compression quality though :? )

thousandshirts

Post by thousandshirts » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:39 pm

frenchie wrote:
thousandshirts wrote:IMO this brings new meaning to the term "getting BOGged down"
man you wouldn't imagine one second how many times i listened to this live :lol: ....this one and the winterland are the only cds i have for which i have made backups ....i destroyed both of them at least two times just listenning to them on my portable cd .... :lol: hopefully now there is mp3 ( lesser compression quality though :? )
You can get them in FLAC!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLAC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hard drive space and portable player disc space are cheaper than ever. MP3 is still useful, sure! BUT... for better quality digital files that can be uncompressed to form a bit-for-bit copy of the original disc (no loss), FLAC is the way to go. Your average FLAC file will be about twice the size of a good V0 compression level MP3.

Tone-Freak

Post by Tone-Freak » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:55 am

I recently read a quote fro Jimi where he says "I would be nothing without my Marshalls"

basile865

Post by basile865 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:01 pm

As we're all guitar players sitting here discussing it, the only truth we should all walk away with is that you can make some great tone by being open minded to blending equipment. Doesnt have to be 24 greenbacks or 24 g12h30's or whatever the case. To me its like the more speakers of all kinds the cooler.

The only way to get where you want to be is experiment always until you get there. I just listened to some BOG on CD today that was from the night prior to the actually BOG album night. The tone isn't AS good, but you can hear the room in the recording. The room and the mixing were the secret weapons to that tone I'm convinced having experimented with recording in different rooms with different mic placements, distances, speakers etc. Its about the whole combination. I have a feeling if jimi was playing fender showmans that night the "vibe" of the whole thing meaning the room and the mix would still make it sound like THAT sound that we all love.

Mynameisfritz
Location: Germany, Krauttown - in the middle of some cabbage fields

Post by Mynameisfritz » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:27 am

Look at this - not a single Marshall amp or cab here. Houston Music Hall 18-2-1968 - from the website I mentioned in my 'Lots of rare tracks here' post.
A bigger pic and audio recording of that concert is on that site too - but it's pretty muddy.
Martin
Soundclips

frenchie

Post by frenchie » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:23 pm

hey cool ..i just found a photo of the global stage of BOG rehearsals.......kind of fuzzy but it's the real deal ...i though i must share ....since i guess the fillmore east have changed now (dunno in fact ..never been there )...it's quite cool to see how it was precisely this night ...for historical correctness i guess , will surely refresh the memory of the ones who were there in 1970 ;