Band of Gypsies. have you ever noticed ...

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Xplorer
Just the numbers in order: 7

Band of Gypsies. have you ever noticed ...

Post by Xplorer » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:12 pm

There's something special ... in machine gun video. he seems to tune his guitar when it's about after ten minutes of the video i got ( on youtube it ends at 9:55 min but mine goes to the end ) and later , but no ... i'm not sure : his fingers aren't so close to the tuners, but higher : just like if he had a control knob for an effect sticked just behind the headstock. he's doing it after big feedback controls : some of the best he did, master of feedback control ...
if there was it could be possible perhaps, with wires going through the neck or trussrod or the neck is modified , well i don't know, and i don't know what effect it would be...

so, it could be something special from roger mayer, as they would maybe try anything.
for the tone of this concert, i have to check again, but added to the 69 era amps, the right handed pickups, the effects with non true bypass as i heard, and perhaps even the wah clear but down for some tones ( i read once that he could use it simply as a tone control , not necessarly playing the wah up and down ( and sometimes during a concert, you might even forgive to bypass it i guess, or it could even be a choice to let it this way ) ) ...... i'd add the position of the speakers, at this loud volume , perpendicular : two stacks, and some cabs on his right,. and i suppose that the mics catched different sources, in a sweet spot. lol, the experts miami, the experts woodstock, the experts fillmore ...
reconstitution experiences ; )

i feel that perpendicular speakers, this way, and the guitar at equal distance to them, it should produce something, and just moving a little bit to a speaker or to the other, but not much, just standing at the place he is, just in a sweet spot, there's something there i feel ... and off course, playing with the feedbacks differently, and compression of sounds , collision of sounds in this area from the speakers, and mics of the recording catched something. and the speakers interact each other. these tones, i'm sure, can't be really experienced without such loud tone, and it must be in this unusual configuration that instinctively many would try one day, or by pure hasard, discovering such things. in wich other concert did he have such configuration ? mostly it's a wall of speakers right ?

Xplorer

Re: Band of Gypsies. have you ever noticed ...

Post by Xplorer » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:43 pm

a picture joined .
also, i heard that the pickups were screwed quite down into the body. i'll have to find back some pictures, every pictures, of the concert, and think again about all this from today.
Attachments
Jimi Fillmore Machine gun.jpg
(33.17 KiB) Downloaded 2733 times

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Scumback Speakers » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:59 pm

Jimi tapped the back of the headstock to create more harmonic feedback. If you get the BOG DVD you'll see he plays a stock Strat, rewired the controls (according to Bill Lawrence who said he did it at Manny's), and bent the trem bar to his liking.
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:12 pm

Maybe both, ? Cause i saw him turning his hand like turning a knob or a tuner, not taping. Maybe a secret... An electrical connection through a string, and the trussrod for something...

spaceace76

Post by spaceace76 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:50 pm

it's just him tapping the headstock. it's a very effective method for coaxing feedback without hitting the strings. you can do it on the body too, but because of the size you have to hit harder, and the pickups might send that noise through the amp. :oops: not a good sound. the headstock is very good for this application. I saw Jimi do it on the dvd and have used this trick ever since.

man i wish we had better footage from shows like this. i hate it when he's doing something awesome and the cameraman is looking at the wrong hand :evil:

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:35 am

yes, you're right. lol, i'm searching too far, dreaming ... ; )
i have a lot of imagination ; )
i'm gonna invent an effect that use as an electrical connection, the truss rod and a string, and the vibration of the string could perhaps do something.
i'm gonna watch this version of the movie, i'll discover some nice things in there i guess, cause i don't find back all the pictures i used to see in some books.
and the speaker on his right was perhaps for singing, i don't know.

best things are more often the most simple things, doing great with simple things.

basile865

Post by basile865 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:51 am

I wonder how jimi rewired the controls according to bill lawrence.

As far as the headstock thing - he definitely was just tapping on the back - with that much wattage behind you little touches on a guitar become BIG sounds. GREAT!

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:28 am

basile865 wrote:I wonder how jimi rewired the controls according to bill lawrence.
You should email Becky Lawrence: becky@billlawrence.com

Bill included this diagram of how he rewired Jimi's Strats when I got his Strat pickups for my first partsocaster. I can't find it now, or it's been lost over 9 years of shuffling boxes. But ask her about it, maybe she's got a link to an online diagram.
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

HARLEYIII

Post by HARLEYIII » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:44 am

Ive often wondered why the pick guard is filed out so big by the truss rod on the black strat. The hole doesnt look big enough to get to the trussrod anyway. I noticed it while watching The Isle Of Wight show.
My Marshalls aint feedin' back....They're Laughin' at your Line-6

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:58 am

Yes it's Jimi tapping the back of the headstock, great with a Marshall stack on 10, conjours up some great roaring feedback.
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good Guest

Post by Good Guest » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:04 pm

Could be a barkus berry hot dot pickup...The montery strat that Zappa got had one in it. Funny ..people who have one installed into the neck of there strat always get a " sounds like hendrix" response. Check them out..I think they are still around.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:43 pm

oh i'm interested ... nice

i've never seen something like that : do youhave some pictures somewhere ? on internet ?
i had a barcus berry pickup, but just to install into an acoustic guitar. but how is it, into the neck ?
maybe i'll see if i can find some pictures of the jimi zappa one
thanks

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:03 am

Southbay Ampworks wrote:...ask her about it, maybe she's got a link to an online diagram.
Yes Yes !
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

basile865

Post by basile865 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:20 am

from what i've read off comments on the website referring to the hendrix mod, it is essentially turning the middle tone knob into a blender pot. It turns the middle tone knob into a volume knob for the middle pickup. I don't think I'd use something like that but if somebody tries it let us know what ya think 8)

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:24 pm

thank you.
so ... is the second tone control used for the three pickups ?
also, with the tone blender it's interesting only on the second position of the selector, neck and middle pickup ?
do you know more about his circuitry, especialy about the black one ?