Retuning the plexi for a more woodstock sound

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

basile865
Just the numbers in order: 7

Retuning the plexi for a more woodstock sound

Post by basile865 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:28 am

For quite a while I was really into big cleans and lightly overdriven stuff, lots of lows and mids. More of a BOG sound. Now I'm starting to lean towards doing some more heavy stuff more in the realm of woodstock.
I put in winged C EL34s selected for real high headroom, then I have a NOS RCA in v1, mullard reissues in v2 and 3.

If I really want my amp to start breaking up earlier and have more distortion in general should I get a real low rated EL34 set? Like when groove tubes rates something 1-3 as apposed to 8-10 or something like that? Or should I just crank up the bias?

As far as modern production 12ax7s which would provide that gain for more crunch and saturation?

Roe

Re: Retuning the plexi for a more woodstock sound

Post by Roe » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:15 pm

try up the bias first but watch for redplating. also experiment with NFB, try 100k or 47k/4ohm
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

basile865

Post by basile865 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:55 am

ok thanks man. Will do. I need to get a bias reader. I've got enough tube amps that need new tubes anyhow. My jcm2000 dsl50 head and my dads old bandmaster both desperately need tubes. Theyre both over 10 years old! :lol:

Tone-Freak

Post by Tone-Freak » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:36 pm

I just got a weber bias rite and it is killer. It has four tube holders and a swithch so I can check the plate Voltage and bias on each tube individually. :D

Mars Hall

Post by Mars Hall » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:45 pm

basile865 wrote:If I really want my amp to start breaking up earlier and have more distortion in general should I get a real low rated EL34 set? Like when groove tubes rates something 1-3 as apposed to 8-10 or something like that? Or should I just crank up the bias?
I really prefer tubes that have the higher rating. When it comes down to it, they are better built tubes. :D
"You just slide a bottle up and down til what you want out of it comes out. You just slide away at it til you've got it down." Duane Allman

yladrd61

Post by yladrd61 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:59 pm

Try to find some NOS Mullard, Amperex, preamp tubes

HARLEYIII

Post by HARLEYIII » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:47 am

For a modern production 12ax7, I like the Tung Sol reissue (or whatever they are). Pretty fat & juicy for modern production.
My Marshalls aint feedin' back....They're Laughin' at your Line-6

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:32 pm

Short of cranking that thing ( where can you crank a 100 watt Marshall ) I'd say get an attenuator or install a ppimv. The output tubes will 'voice' things, but depending on what your doing, volume wise, tubes that break up earlier are more by 'design' than 'selection'. Standard EH el-34's are best for a true 'vintage' style el-34 (the EH 'mullard' are not the same, though made in the same plant). The EH will get you 'classic' El-34.

If you want more bottom to top 'classic' type tone, the JJ e34L is great.

The EH 6ca7 is also great, but it needs to be pushed real hard.

Try as much as you can. Tubes are like SHOES :D .
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:57 pm

jj HAS A PRETTY GOOD HIGH GAIN 12AX7 .IT will push more than most pre's. I got an older (late '80's -early '90's) chinese 12ax7 A, that REALLY pushes things.

Acoustics and intentions make or break alot of things(like Woodstock vs. BOG, for ex.). Music, sometimes is fairly 'measurable'. Alot of player's get OFF on, well, themselves. 'LISTEN' to those who 'LISTEN' to you. Thats a good indication of whether or not you should consider ' entertaining' them.

Mars Hall

Post by Mars Hall » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:07 pm

basile865 wrote:I need to get a bias reader.
Pins 1 and 8 of your power tubes are tied together and go to ground. If you put a 1 ohm 1 watt resistor inplace of the ground wire, that is a bias tester. Take your bias readings from the ground side of the resistor. Saves time and money. :D
"You just slide a bottle up and down til what you want out of it comes out. You just slide away at it til you've got it down." Duane Allman

yladrd61

Post by yladrd61 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:15 am

Have you tried the new Dunlop JH Fuzz Face, I have never seen a Dunlop pedal that didn't require a complete rewire until l tried this one it really slams the preamp. Also try to get an NOS Mullard for V1 and a Brimar or Mullard CV4004 for V2. And a balanced High Gain Tesla or JJ for V3.

stef

Post by stef » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:09 am

Tone Slinger wrote:Short of cranking that thing ( where can you crank a 100 watt Marshall ) I'd say get an attenuator or install a ppimv. The output tubes will 'voice' things, but depending on what your doing, volume wise, tubes that break up earlier are more by 'design' than 'selection'. Standard EH el-34's are best for a true 'vintage' style el-34 (the EH 'mullard' are not the same, though made in the same plant). The EH will get you 'classic' El-34.

If you want more bottom to top 'classic' type tone, the JJ e34L is great.

The EH 6ca7 is also great, but it needs to be pushed real hard.

Try as much as you can. Tubes are like SHOES :D .
Any experience with JJ EL34?

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:40 am

Not the standaed JJ el34, only the E34L.

In general JJ tubes are very 'hi fi' and rugged, which lead alot of 'purist' (meaning 'straight' unmodded circuit type guys) to refer to words like 'strile' and 'stiff', when talking about JJ.

Depending on your amp, JJ tubes are great. I hear that the standard JJ el-34 sounds similar to the e34L (which is a tight,throaty mid range with good tight bass), EXCEPT, it has less bottom and output.

stef

Post by stef » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:39 am

Thanks Tone Slinger! I'm probably one of the "purists" and woodstock Jimi's tone fan too...
My working horse is a 1978 SL NMV with 4 old siemens el34 - I had to change dying pre tubes and now it sounds like power tubes are almost gone...
Maybe EH would be the best (tonally) but I've red about biasing problems with those tubes :!: What can you say about biasing EH's?
Lower output volume from JJ's EL is a good thing for me and my 100watter..I hear they break up earlier than e34L (or 6ca7) which is also a big + with loud 100watts..
On the other hand a tight, hi-fi, stiff, sterile tone is something I'd like to avoid!

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:12 pm

I would not get JJ tubes if your into true, no master volume, distortion. There are tubes that are better ( but damn, its hard to validate the QUALITY of old stuff. Most of it(old stuff) has been sorted down to the WORST possible examples. If your doing things to the preamp and altering certain gain structures, then the JJ will perform EXTREMELY well, but relying on straight superlead type specs, they can sound sort of 'stiff' and sterile. The standard Electro Harmonix EL-34 (NOT the Mullard reissue) is probably the best overall EL-34 available. Great early break up and warm tone.

There are many people out there who depend on pushing the 'old stuff' who will talk badly about new tubes, but the truth is that most of the old stuff has been used up, with inferior pieces being all that is left.

Check out LORDVALVE. HE has old and new tubes and will tell you like it is.