Best uni-vibe clone?

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Mars Hall
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Best uni-vibe clone?

Post by Mars Hall » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:31 pm

jimmy_j wrote:
Mynameisfritz wrote:I'd say Mega- or Aquavibe. :D
The Aquavibe defintely looks interesting. It seems a bit more hifi than a Megavibe. I had a Captain Coconut for a while (rare rackmount prototype) that I should have never sold. The CC's had great sounding vibes in them.
That brite adjust sounds interesting. That's the main complaint I had about the Dunlop, made my tone woofy and bassy. From the demos, I've heard, on the mega- vibe it sounds transparent. I've been leaning towards getting the Mega-vibe.
"You just slide a bottle up and down til what you want out of it comes out. You just slide away at it til you've got it down." Duane Allman

jimmy_j

Post by jimmy_j » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:05 pm

Mars Hall wrote:
jimmy_j wrote:
Mynameisfritz wrote:I'd say Mega- or Aquavibe. :D
The Aquavibe defintely looks interesting. It seems a bit more hifi than a Megavibe. I had a Captain Coconut for a while (rare rackmount prototype) that I should have never sold. The CC's had great sounding vibes in them.
That brite adjust sounds interesting. That's the main complaint I had about the Dunlop, made my tone woofy and bassy. From the demos, I've heard, on the mega- vibe it sounds transparent. I've been leaning towards getting the Mega-vibe.
If you can get for around the regular price ~$300 or so, I think it's a great pedal. If you have to pay eBay prices for one, I'd look for something cheaper. That being said, I have the large box Megavibe and have stopped looking at other ones.

Mars Hall

Post by Mars Hall » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:28 pm

jimmy_j wrote:If you can get for around the regular price ~$300 or so, I think it's a great pedal. If you have to pay eBay prices for one, I'd look for something cheaper. That being said, I have the large box Megavibe and have stopped looking at other ones.
Yeah, I'm not gonna go the ebay route, I'm ordering mine striaght from the source.
"You just slide a bottle up and down til what you want out of it comes out. You just slide away at it til you've got it down." Duane Allman

Doug H

Post by Doug H » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:05 am

the Megavibe has to be the ugliest pedal I've ever seen, and what's with the bottom mounted jacks?

Mars Hall

Post by Mars Hall » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:05 am

Doug H wrote:the Megavibe has to be the ugliest pedal I've ever seen, and what's with the bottom mounted jacks?
I'm opting for the small Mega-vibe, same circuit and features in a pedal board friendly size. :D The jacks are also mounted on either side, as well. I think with the original Mega-vibe he was recreating the Uni-vibe in shape and all, with the exception that the inputs are towards your feet, where on the original Uni-vibe they come out the top of the unit.

The only way you could make the original Mega-vibe work without tripping over your cords would be to use 90 degreed cable ends. Even then, I think you would run the risk of kicking them out or stepping on them breaking an input jack.

Doug H

Post by Doug H » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:25 pm

Ya I was looking at the mini as well. What would get me to consider upgrading from my microvibe would be if they offered one in a footpedal. I'm probably going to rehouse the micro in one.

jimmy_j

Post by jimmy_j » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:22 pm

FWIW, there were a few reviews (probably from anal-retentive Gear Page types) who said the bigger box Megavibes sounded better than the small ones. Just saying.

Mars Hall

Post by Mars Hall » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:19 pm

jimmy_j wrote:FWIW, there were a few reviews (probably from anal-retentive Gear Page types) who said the bigger box Megavibes sounded better than the small ones. Just saying.
You'll always have guys that will try and justify their purchase because, maybe, they bought theirs before the small one was available. On the KR website he has side by side shots of each circuit, you see they are the same, but some caps are standing on end instead of laying down, and everything is a bit closer together. If radial style caps have a different sound than the axial type that is the only major difference I see. Everything on his website says they sound the same, I have no reason not to believe him.

Makes me wonder, if these "anal-retentive" types ever had the 2 side-by-side to form their opinion.

Mars Hall

Post by Mars Hall » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:21 pm

Doug H wrote:Ya I was looking at the mini as well. What would get me to consider upgrading from my microvibe would be if they offered one in a footpedal. I'm probably going to rehouse the micro in one.
They do come with an input to plug in an expression pedal.

Doug H

Post by Doug H » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm

I know, I want it all in one package.

jimmy_j

Post by jimmy_j » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:58 pm

Mars Hall wrote:
Doug H wrote:Ya I was looking at the mini as well. What would get me to consider upgrading from my microvibe would be if they offered one in a footpedal. I'm probably going to rehouse the micro in one.
They do come with an input to plug in an expression pedal.
You can mod a Korg expression pedal to mate up with the Megavibe.

AJW
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by AJW » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:52 pm

I have had a Voodoo Lab MicroVibe for years and I was very happy with it. It recently malfunctioned so I bought a Fulltone mini Deja Vibe to replace it. That was a definite upgrade! I love the MDV. It has no provision for a footpedal though.

I sent the MicroVibe in to Voodoo Labs for repair, but it will be shelved when it gets back. I still think it's a great value for a really good vibe in a small footprint. I think it's pretty accurate in recreating the sound, but it only has an intensity and speed knob with no volume control.

Freedom
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Freedom » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:19 pm

jimmy_j wrote:FWIW, there were a few reviews (probably from anal-retentive Gear Page types) who said the bigger box Megavibes sounded better than the small ones. Just saying.
Late answer but i just saw this...

I used to own both the big and small KR Megavibe at the same time. I A/B them for hours and hours and IMHO they sounded exactly the same (i still have the small one)...

Now i also own an Ultra Vibe II, great vibe as well...
Freedom of Music <=> Music of Freedom

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:32 am

nice vibes in here ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2RgPhHg_fM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mars Hall

Post by Mars Hall » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:19 am

Freedom wrote:Late answer but i just saw this...

I used to own both the big and small KR Megavibe at the same time. I A/B them for hours and hours and IMHO they sounded exactly the same (i still have the small one)...
Thanks for the confirmation. 8)